Iron Maiden News, Links, and Interviews

I think I have to share this little story I found from reddit:

My Night with Iron Maiden August 8th 1982 Memphis​

On the night of August 8th, 1982 Scorpions-Iron Maiden and Girlschool played the Auditorium North Hall and I was there to shoot the show. I had already befriended Steve Harris of Iron Maiden and some of their crew and plus I was scheduled to have a meeting with their manager Rod Smallwood at the hotel bar across from Cook Convention Center. I had written Rod about shooting the show and him looking at photos from my past Maiden shows for possibly using them in future tour programs. So after the meeting, the Maiden boys were all at the bar drinking and Steve Harris mentioned to me that they were celebrating Bruce's Birthday and would I like to come along after the show for the celebration and will I think of a cool place to take them.

Fast forward to the show. I shot Girlschool, Iron Maiden, and headliners, Scorpions. As the show was ending and all of my film was shot (Which I will regret later that night) I just went backstage to get more details from Steve on where to meet and go out. The Scorps come off stage and are supposed to do an encore and some time passed but no band and the crowd is chanting and suddenly above the noise I see the band running around screaming at each other in German,now I don't have a clue what is being said but they were pissed. Then the back doors open and the band leaves and house lights come up and that show is history. I don't know if this is true but I was told later that it had something to do with Iron Maiden really kicking ass and Scorpions had to rise to that occasion and really play well, which I thought they were great, hell every band was on fire that night but Iron Maiden dd steal the show.

Suddenly I was told to get off the stage and go back to the wall with no explanation why. . It was really quiet and I was talking to some guys all of a sudden BOOM!!!!! The Pyro went off and scared the shit out of me. It was the pyro set to go off for the encore that never happened . So I finally settle down and look around for my Heart after it jumped from my chest I find it and gather it up and leave .

I get to the hotel and the 2 bands are in the bar. It was Iron Maiden and Kim McAuliffe, Enid Williams, Kelly Johnson (RIP), Denise Dufort from Girlschool . I suggest going to Number 1 Beale so they can eat and drink and it's really quiet and dark and most likely won't be disturbed. After we arrive I talk mostly to Steve Harris and Kim McAuliffe. I was thinking Kim was pretty cute so I flirted with her quite a bit and listened while she talked about missing her flat in London and how Lemmy was the guy that really helped them get a record deal and what a thrill it was to be on tour in America. And as it stands now they are the longest-running all-female rock band, still active after more than 40 years.

So we sat there for a while and the guys suggest we go somewhere else and drink even more well by then everyone was drunk anyway and Dave Murray was really wasted and he was picking up these huge potted plants and taking them to the cashier saying he wanted to buy them. Finally the manager comes out and says we need to go. By then it was pretty late and we walk/stagger back to the hotel and I am thinking that maybe we will hang out at the bar and I can talk to Kim some more but as we neared the door Steve whispered to me that they were just going to their rooms and they all thanked me and we hugged and had a real metal moment..lol Steve looks at me and moves his eyes as to follow him and again he whispers '' I have been trying to shag Kim the whole tour and she has invited me to her room so Memphis will be the place'' and he smiled and I kinda smiled and as they walked away I thought to myself ''Well if you are ever going to lose a girl there is no better a person to lose her to than Steve fucking Harris of Iron Maiden ..
In closing what a great night and what a great time I had reliving it again today and sharing with you. You know these stories are bittersweet for me because that was the best time of my life being able to actually know these musicians that I idolized for so many years . And I am amazed I kept it together and somewhat professional around them. My only regret is not taking more photos when these few and far between opportunities occur. But I also felt like this is their downtime to just relax and have some fun without someone sticking a camera in their face.
Life now has slowed to a snails pace, I am old and not the best health, the stars hardly ever line up for times like these and I sit here writing while living in a town of 3000 with 4 old cats by my side. Sometimes I feel life is cruel as it passes me by . I do feel very lucky to have grown up with the music that changed the world and know that I had a small role in capturing it to show the future. And most of all I love sharing these stories with other people that love music and these bands I saw.....ROCK AND ROLL -forever- Below are a few photos from the show . To this day I have seen almost 300 concerts in my life and this show was one of the top 5 I ever saw.

Here is the original reddit-link and there's couple pics too:
shorturl.at/iBM06

I think I have to share this little story I found from reddit:

My Night with Iron Maiden August 8th 1982 Memphis​

On the night of August 8th, 1982 Scorpions-Iron Maiden and Girlschool played the Auditorium North Hall and I was there to shoot the show. I had already befriended Steve Harris of Iron Maiden and some of their crew and plus I was scheduled to have a meeting with their manager Rod Smallwood at the hotel bar across from Cook Convention Center. I had written Rod about shooting the show and him looking at photos from my past Maiden shows for possibly using them in future tour programs. So after the meeting, the Maiden boys were all at the bar drinking and Steve Harris mentioned to me that they were celebrating Bruce's Birthday and would I like to come along after the show for the celebration and will I think of a cool place to take them.

Fast forward to the show. I shot Girlschool, Iron Maiden, and headliners, Scorpions. As the show was ending and all of my film was shot (Which I will regret later that night) I just went backstage to get more details from Steve on where to meet and go out. The Scorps come off stage and are supposed to do an encore and some time passed but no band and the crowd is chanting and suddenly above the noise I see the band running around screaming at each other in German,now I don't have a clue what is being said but they were pissed. Then the back doors open and the band leaves and house lights come up and that show is history. I don't know if this is true but I was told later that it had something to do with Iron Maiden really kicking ass and Scorpions had to rise to that occasion and really play well, which I thought they were great, hell every band was on fire that night but Iron Maiden dd steal the show.

Suddenly I was told to get off the stage and go back to the wall with no explanation why. . It was really quiet and I was talking to some guys all of a sudden BOOM!!!!! The Pyro went off and scared the shit out of me. It was the pyro set to go off for the encore that never happened . So I finally settle down and look around for my Heart after it jumped from my chest I find it and gather it up and leave .

I get to the hotel and the 2 bands are in the bar. It was Iron Maiden and Kim McAuliffe, Enid Williams, Kelly Johnson (RIP), Denise Dufort from Girlschool . I suggest going to Number 1 Beale so they can eat and drink and it's really quiet and dark and most likely won't be disturbed. After we arrive I talk mostly to Steve Harris and Kim McAuliffe. I was thinking Kim was pretty cute so I flirted with her quite a bit and listened while she talked about missing her flat in London and how Lemmy was the guy that really helped them get a record deal and what a thrill it was to be on tour in America. And as it stands now they are the longest-running all-female rock band, still active after more than 40 years.

So we sat there for a while and the guys suggest we go somewhere else and drink even more well by then everyone was drunk anyway and Dave Murray was really wasted and he was picking up these huge potted plants and taking them to the cashier saying he wanted to buy them. Finally the manager comes out and says we need to go. By then it was pretty late and we walk/stagger back to the hotel and I am thinking that maybe we will hang out at the bar and I can talk to Kim some more but as we neared the door Steve whispered to me that they were just going to their rooms and they all thanked me and we hugged and had a real metal moment..lol Steve looks at me and moves his eyes as to follow him and again he whispers '' I have been trying to shag Kim the whole tour and she has invited me to her room so Memphis will be the place'' and he smiled and I kinda smiled and as they walked away I thought to myself ''Well if you are ever going to lose a girl there is no better a person to lose her to than Steve fucking Harris of Iron Maiden ..
In closing what a great night and what a great time I had reliving it again today and sharing with you. You know these stories are bittersweet for me because that was the best time of my life being able to actually know these musicians that I idolized for so many years . And I am amazed I kept it together and somewhat professional around them. My only regret is not taking more photos when these few and far between opportunities occur. But I also felt like this is their downtime to just relax and have some fun without someone sticking a camera in their face.
Life now has slowed to a snails pace, I am old and not the best health, the stars hardly ever line up for times like these and I sit here writing while living in a town of 3000 with 4 old cats by my side. Sometimes I feel life is cruel as it passes me by . I do feel very lucky to have grown up with the music that changed the world and know that I had a small role in capturing it to show the future. And most of all I love sharing these stories with other people that love music and these bands I saw.....ROCK AND ROLL -forever- Below are a few photos from the show . To this day I have seen almost 300 concerts in my life and this show was one of the top 5 I ever saw.

Here is the original reddit-link and there's couple pics too:
shorturl.at/iBM06
Great story and some great pictures also.

I wonder if it's true that the Scorpions were fucked off over Maiden?

Great story and some great pictures also.

I wonder if it's true that the Scorpions were fucked off over Maiden?
Yep, I've always loved reading these little stories and first hand experiences from the people that were there. So just had to share it here.
All the funny stuff regarding any album recordings or while on tour, guys having a blast with few rounds of beer, Martin Birch (and his many nicknames and their origins) and some stories which were told in The History Of Iron Maiden series (The Early Days etc) as the guys surely have fun telling what happened etc.
What was this thing with The Scorpions? Has it been mentioned elsewhere?

I guess they had to do something for the 40th anniversary. Would have hoped for more than a cassette though.

Not really much milk left to get from that cow. Not with the Classic Albums and Early Days DVDs, the myriad of vinyl and CD re-releases there already are and the fact they're already in a nostalgia tour right now.
In 2007 they wanted to do a special NOTB anniversary and that just ended with them adding Children of the Damned to the set list.
Honestly, almost every year has some special album anniversary if you squint, no need for nostalgia overload.

Not really much milk left to get from that cow. Not with the Classic Albums and Early Days DVDs, the myriad of vinyl and CD re-releases there already are and the fact they're already in a nostalgia tour right now.
In 2007 they wanted to do a special NOTB anniversary and that just ended with them adding Children of the Damned to the set list.
Honestly, almost every year has some special album anniversary if you squint, no need for nostalgia overload.
A box set with the vinyl, CD, cassette, a couple of DVDs and a booklet would have been more fitting for an album like this. It would have sold well also.

What's most interesting about this is that they're not selling it through Music Glue. Just regular music retailers. Does this mean that they've stopped using that shitty service finally?

Also, Amazon are out of stock already.

1645199298775.png

Reckon it's testing the water for the whole catalogue.

Irish pressing cassette of the original release went for £117 last week!

A box set with the vinyl, CD, cassette, a couple of DVDs and a booklet would have been more fitting for an album like this. It would have sold well also.

I don't know, a cassette will cost collectors probably a tenner or fifteen quid.

That boxset would cost triple figures and would be content we already have. I have well into double figures of TNOTB as it stands. I'd rather nothing from TNOTB be re-released, but at least there hasn't been a cassette issue since the 80's. We've had 2 vinyls and a CD in the last decade alone, I wouldn't be surprised if there was more I'm forgetting.

They're actually re-releasing NOTB on cassette now. :rolleyes:
FFS, will they be releasing 8-track versions next? A commemorative set of 78rpm vinyl discs with a pair of songs from the record on each one?

I think a cassette ain’t bad, quite a few bands have started putting their content on them already. Seems like there’s enough demand to make it worthwhile.

Back