IRON MAIDEN ALBUM SURVIVOR 2023: Results -> Somewhere In Time wins!

At least I agree that these albums are Maiden's best, but no way NOTB should be voted out before SIT, BNW and Senjutsu.

At least I agree that these albums are Maiden's best, but no way NOTB should be voted out before SIT, BNW and Senjutsu.

Personal preferences aside I don't really get why TNOTB is leading in votes currently either. Listener fatigue is my best guess but it doesn't feel right to me for the album with three of the bands biggest hits of all time (RTTH, NOTB, HBTN) and another three popular deep cuts (COTD, Prisoner, 22AA) to end outside of the top 5.

Somewhere in Time is clearly a tier below everything else here. :ninja:

I voted for Number but it’s probably my favorite of the three I voted for. I do think it gets shafted around here a little, although the competition starts to get fierce. I will say that I would probably edge out Powerslave for me if the 40th anniversary version was the original track list.

Top 17
09. The Book Of Souls
A good finish for the album, given the rest of the albums. For me, TBOS is a very consistent album with no fillers and with 3 masterpiece long songs. Add to that the great shorter songs plus the awesome three mid-length songs and you have one great album with lots of interesting ideas.

My votes yet again:

The Number Of The Beast
Piece Of Mind
Powerslave

It's an album with higher highs than TFF and Senjutsu, but more frequent lows than TFF and lower lows than Senjutsu.
I think the highs of TBOS and SJ are almost equal and both are better than the highs of TFF. The ''lows'' (what lows? Clown and Man) are better than TFF, while SJ has no lows for me.
but no way NOTB should be voted out before SIT, BNW and Senjutsu.
SIT's material can beat it.
Senjutsu is considerably worse than all the other remaining albums.
''Considerably'', wow.
Senjutsu is hard carried by Hell on Earth for me, the rest of it is just inferior to both TBoS and TFF...
Yeah, songs like the first 3, Parchment, Days are nothing...
Personal preferences aside I don't really get why TNOTB is leading in votes currently either. Listener fatigue is my best guess but it doesn't feel right to me for the album with three of the bands biggest hits of all time (RTTH, NOTB, HBTN) and another three popular deep cuts (COTD, Prisoner, 22AA) to end outside of the top 5.
The ''issue'' are Invaders and Gangland. If Invaders was replaced by Total Eclipse, then it could have been different, methinks.
Somewhere in Time is clearly a tier below everything else here.
There are no low tier albums in the list.

Yeah, songs like the first 3, Parchment, Days are nothing...
Comparing by track listing, Senjutsu has a better opener than TFF, and a slightly better fifth song than TBoS (Days vs River). Other than that, give me the first halves of TFF and TBoS any day of the week!

And don't get me started on the second half. TFF has the best one in the discography, and Empire is my favourite Maiden song. I'm not keen on The Parchemnt.

Comparing by track listing, Senjutsu has a better opener than TFF, and a slightly better fifth song than TBoS (Days vs River). Other than that, give me the first halves of TFF and TBoS any day of the week!

And don't get me started on the second half. TFF has the best one in the discography, and Empire is my favourite Maiden song. I'm not keen on The Parchemnt.
I think the first half of TFF is definitely not stronger than the first halves of the other 2 albums. And I like the songs. Some of them could have better though. The second half of TFF is special. The first half of TBOS is stronger for me than the 2nd half (although it contains 3 songs I like a lot), while both halves of SJ are almost equally great. If I have to add more - the shorter songs are better on the last 2 albums than on TFF.

Senjutsu and If Eternity Should Fail are some of Maiden's best album openers imo.

My less favourite album in this list is The Number Of The Beast. It's less consistent than the others and always lacks of creativity and originality.
Fully agreed. And it's not like saying "TNOTB is derivative and uninspired". It was creative for its time, but since then Maiden reached entirely new heights as far as creativity and songwriting go. TNOTB is a good album, but many of the albums that followed are even better.

Last edited:
My less favourite album in this list is The Number Of The Beast. It's less consistent than the others and always lacks of creativity and originality.
I used to overlook that album too because of tracks like Invaders/Gangland and especially when going throught phase of Run to the Hills overplayed - but when I listened through the whole album in preparation for Senjutsu the other year, I really came to love that album for what it was.

Anyway, I voted Powerslave and A Matter of Life and Death

The best song from AMOLAD would barely crack the top 5 on TNOTB.
Don’t agree with this, I would put Brighter Than A Thousand Suns in third place of all the songs off those two albums

But even if it didn't crack the top five it wouldn't mean much. NOTB has six all time classics and better than most songs on most albums.

Don’t agree with this, I would put Brighter Than A Thousand Suns in third place of all the songs off those two albums

But even if it didn't crack the top five it wouldn't mean much. NOTB has six all time classics and better than most songs on most albums.
Personal opinions on AMOLAD aside, the bolded part is mostly what I'm getting at - NOTB is being massively undersold here.

Back