IRON MAIDEN ALBUM SURVIVOR 2023: Results -> Somewhere In Time wins!

Top 17

11. Dance Of Death
DOD is an underrated album. One of my favorite albums as a whole piece. And I ranked it pretty high on my list.
Yes, there is at least one ''weak'' song and some (but not many) are not that strong for Maiden's standards, but they're certainly not weak.
The album contains such great and classic songs like: Rainmaker, No More Lies, the title track, Paschendale, Face In The Sand, Journeyman and Montségur. While New Frontier and Gates Of Tomorrow are very good and underrated songs.
The rest of the albums are brutally strong with almost no ''weak'' material, so maybe 1 or 2 (not sure) places up was the highest the album could rank.

My votes:

The Number Of The Beast
Piece Of Mind
The Final Frontier

The fact that I am currently the only voter for Senjutsu is the most glaring example of recency bias I think I’ve ever seen.
Nah, it's been 2 years. It's just that the album is special. Ideas, music, lyrics, performances, choruses, solos, instrumental parts... Songs in general. I feel this is the most well received Reunion album since AMOLAD or BNW. Maiden outdid themselves in a way with it.

Nah, it's been 2 years. It's just that the album is special. Ideas, music, lyrics, performances, choruses, solos, instrumental parts... Songs in general. I feel this is the most well received Reunion album since AMOLAD or BNW. Maiden outdid themselves in a way with it.
Eh. If you say so.

It's a fine album by reunion standards, but I fail to see much revelatory or fresh about it. The only songs that feel different than anything else they've released in the last 20 years are Writing on The Wall and the title track (which squanders this by being woefully boring in its lack of progression). I think The Final Frontier, which currently has the most votes, does an equal amount of "special" things that are unheard on other albums. Granted, I don't think TFF is necessarily better, they're about equal for me, but it's interesting.

Also - what choruses? Stratego and Hell On Earth have great choruses (if we even call that part in HOE a chorus), but other than that this album has some pretty pedestrian choruses (or a lack of choruses all together).

Eh, anyway. I don't actually care very much, I just find the adoration heaped on this album is a bit odd.

Eh, if you say so.

It's a fine album by reunion standards, but I fail to see much revelatory or fresh about it. The only songs that feel different than anything else they've released in the last 20 years are Writing on The Wall and the title track (which squanders this by being woefully boring in its lack of progression). I think The Final Frontier, which currently has the most votes, does an equal amount of "special" things that are unheard on other albums. Granted, I don't think TFF is necessarily better, they're about equal for me, but it's interesting.

Also - what choruses? Stratego and Hell On Earth have great choruses (if we even call that part in HOE a chorus), but other than that this album has some pretty pedestrian choruses (or a lack of choruses all together).

Eh, anyway. I don't actually care very much, I just find the adoration heaped on this album is a bit odd.
Eh, I shared my opinion. And I never said the album is special because it has a different material for the band (it has though, at least 6 songs, more or less). All of the songs are great and can be someone's favorite. The album feels fresh imo, songs like the title track, Stratego, Writing, Days, Darkest Hour, Parchment, Hell On Earth, even Time Machine are more interesting for me than some of the songs of the same length in the previous 2 albums. So it's not odd. I think it's easy to see why this album is so well liked. More than half of it (actually, the whole album more or less) is a fantastic quality Maiden material. I'm sure with TBOS is/was the same. For me, Maiden rejuvenated themselves with these 2 albums.

As for the choruses (lack of choruses wow; pedestrian is only maybe Lost World), all of them are strong (yes, even the one in Lost World, especially for the purpose of it). The ones of the title track, Stratego, Days, Celts and Hell On Earth are some of my favorites.

Last edited:
I rank Dance of Death somewhere between #3-#5 on the list of the bands best. A shame to see it gone so soon.

AMOLAD is my vote.

VWXiuO7.jpg

Top 17
The Final Frontier
11. Dance Of Death
12. Iron Maiden
13. The X Factor
14. Fear Of The Dark
15. Killers
16. No Prayer For The Dying
17. Virtual XI

TFF's elimination didn't surprise me. The album is very good, but only the longer songs (without King), Coming Home, Alchemist and maybe the title track are the songs I really like. The others are not bad by any means. The proggy aspect of the album played its role, methinks.

Votes:

The Number Of The Beast
Piece Of Mind
Powerslave

Powerslave is an undeniable classic with some timeless songs, but the chorus of Back In The Village and the fact that Losfer Words could have been a much better instrumental (or song with lyrics; I mean, Steve wrote it), especially if it was longer - made me vote for it. From the rest of the albums combined, I only have 1 song I don't like that much!

I picked The Number Of The Beast: my least favourite of the classics.
The Book Of Souls: my least favourite of the reunion era.
And AMOLAD because I like the rest more.

View attachment 31224
Enjoying it while it lasts.
You're probably not a fan of the overall vibe of the album? Hope I'm not wrong because there isn't a single weak song on it.
I think the serious mood of the album, the darker tone, the impactful lyrics, intros and melodies really made it special. It's everything for it. The heavier riffs too. Maiden have only a few other albums like it - TXF and SJ, two special albums too.

Maiden were on a creative peak in 2006. I mean: the short songs are much better and have more characteristics than the short songs on the previous album. Legacy is a unique piece to end the album, Suns and Greater God are classic Maiden epics, Benjamin is one of the few riff-based songs in their discography, Colours, Lord and Longest Day are classic Maiden anthems with their parts, and we have a very good ballad-y song with a soaring chorus. Also, apart from maybe a song or two, I don't think the album has a problem with the repetition.

Shocked to see so many votes for TNOTB at this stage. I'll agree it has a fair bit of songs that are below average, but the highs are so high, man. I think we're at the stage where TBOS and Senjutsu gotta go, despite similar issues (a fair bit of below average songs, and high highs).

Shocked to see so many votes for TNOTB at this stage. I'll agree it has a fair bit of songs that are below average, but the highs are so high, man. I think we're at the stage where TBOS and Senjutsu gotta go, despite similar issues (a fair bit of below average songs, and high highs).
I voted for TNOTB and I still agree with this.

Below average, wow. The competition is so strong and the ''weaker'' songs on the albums make the difference. Because the highs are always high, even for an 80's vs Reunion album. Yes, TNOTB is full of classics, but so are later albums like BNW, AMOLAD (as a whole), TBOS (have 3 masterpieces) and SJ. I can add a bit more. In the end, it's a lesser song vs lesser song. I don't think songs like Empire, Book Of Souls, Red And Black, Hell On Earth, Parchment, Stratego are weaker than Beast's great 6 (excluding Hallowed, ofc). It's hard to compete with the big classics, but they're really close at least for sure.
That's the quality of Maiden's discography. And we rate albums as a whole.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you about the album and I didn't want to vote for it, but I have to. Invaders is the song to blame, haha. TBOS and SJ combined have no ''weaker'' songs.

Back