If Eternity Should Fail

How good is If Eternity Should Fail on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Am I the only one to think Adrian is panned right here? I know his licks at the end are centered (overdubbed for sure), but the rhythm guitar during the verse sounds very much like him.

I guess I'm the only one here who thinks the Necropolis bit is shite.

The rest is amazing.

No, I agree. I think it ruins the ending of the song. I also think the intro and its vocal melody is nothing special. Because of the intro and outro I can't rate it higher than 8/10.

The rest is amazing.

I can't make up my mind when it comes to this.

For some reason I've always wanted Maiden to do a part just like this......

But now that it is here I'm a bit underwhelmed....

It might help to remember it Isn't a maiden song and is clearly part of a bigger whole that we haven't got

I don't think the spoken part is bad, I just think it doesn't add anything to the song. I mean, it doesn't detract from how great and awesome the song is, but also it's not an essential part of the song, that I would miss if it wasn't there.

When I say it doesn't add anything to the song, I mean in the context of this album. In a concept album it would make perfect sense, like Bruce said. That's why I don't agree with people saying it wouldn't be nice if Bruce released his version of the song. It actually would be great if he released a concept album where we know more about this Necropolis character, because I got really interested.

Like someone already mentioned, spoken part can be played through PA while they switch instruments.

I love this song, and it was one of the tracks that immediately grabbed my attention and didn't let go when I first listened to the album. Definitely one of the best openers Maiden has done. Not handing out number ratings just yet, as I understand polls will be posted in the near future, but I can't imagine it will be anything lower than a 9/10, and probably a 10/10.

This song blew me away upon the first listen and has stuck with me ever since. There are so many great elements at play. I love the keyboard/vocal intro before it kicks into that great groove rhythm and harmony. The verses rock along nicely and then we are treated to some really powerful pre-choruses and choruses. The vocals are absolutely killer! That chorus is so catchy and it will be great to have the crowd singing it along. I love the instrumental section and I think it is cool that it doesn't have a guitar solo but they just saved it for being underneath the vocals of the last chorus. I love the outro. The guitar playing is really nice and the spoken word part is pure badass. And of course Maiden has never really done anything like that before so it is nice to see them try something new (along with the drop D tuning). This is instantly one of my favourite songs on the album.

Bruce absolutely gives me shivers on these two lines -

The ascent of madness, And a human raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace

The angels come and the angels go, But the lord of light shining belooooooooooooooooooooooooow

The ending of the verses is identical to Accident of birth's chorus...not that this is a bad thing.

No, I agree. I think it ruins the ending of the song.

The spoken word outro blitzes the spoken word parts of Alexander, Seventh Son, The Prisoner and the live versions of Dance of Death and Paschendale. It sits just below Number of the Beast and equal with Still Life and Rime as the best passage of dialogue they have released.

Does it matter if Necropolis features no more on the album? Not at all. Seventh Son is the only song that relates to others on the album, and only because it was a concept album.

Awesome song = the best opener since Caught Somewhere In Time

Honestly I don't see why the Necropolis thing is a big deal. When I heard the song I wasn't aware of it being part of a separate concept album, I just thought it was some character Bruce made up for the song. Like Benjamin Breeg or Charlotte the Harlot. I didn't see a need for a whole album about the guy or something, he's the harvester of the soul meat. That's all I need to know. :D

"Good day" fits perfectly, I don't know what's wrong with you two. Necromancers (or similar) are usually depicted as smart, polite and calm in most fantasy works I've encountered.
Besides, Bruce wrote it and if anyone is experienced with dark/obscure/surreal stuff its him.

What do you expect him to say? I'm Necropolis, muthafucker, all your base are belong to us?

"Good day" fits perfectly, I don't know what's wrong with you two. Necromancers (or similar) are usually depicted as smart, polite and calm in most fantasy works I've encountered.
Besides, Bruce wrote it and if anyone is experienced with dark/obscure/surreal stuff its him.

What do you expect him to say? I'm Necropolis, muthafucker, all your base are belong to us?

I was only having a laugh with that post! It was meant to be a parody of maiden fans moaning about tiny little details :dorky: I didn't realise that it was already in the thread for real LOL

Back