Hints collection thread for 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I'm in minority but for me the last 6 albums are far superior to 80s and 90s. Most of you may think 80s were the best and that's fine with me. However, the fact for me is that even though I knew IM since 1992, the only song I was listening was Fear of the Dark and I never dug into anything else, bought any IM albums or became a fan until I heard Dance of Death. If they had been making the same kind of music they did in the 80s, I don't think I would be a Maiden fan really. Yes, there are some very good and a few great songs in the 80s as well but my love for IM is mainly because of the music they have been making since BNW. If they only had 6 albums (the last 6 of course) that wouldn't change a thing, they would still be the greatest band on earth (next to Queen) for me. Bottom line is we may have different reasons to like them, but we all love Iron Maiden.

Sorry, but sometimes I realy feel like defending my favourite band when it is said or implied that "they are not as good as the 80s". There are also fans who think that they are much better than the 80s now. And I am one of them.
Doesn't matter if love Paul,Blaze,Bruce era...if the first 7 album are better or worse than the last one. I think we have something SPECIAL about Maiden. We raise the horns up,we live we breath only for this fantastic band. Maiden fans are unique...our devotion is SPECIAL...<3

To each their own, but it's great that the common theme is loving this band's music.

As a teenager I knew and liked the popular singles from Number and Powerslave (the ones that made Live After Death) and Somewhere in Time was my favorite IM album. Still is today, that has never changed.

But I lost interest in the band for decades and since the COVID lockdowns started in 2020 and I needed workout music I've grown to know and love all of their material. They have joined Rush and Yes as my lifelong favorite bands.

My rotation is almost entirely reunion albums these days, but that could be seen as making up for wasted years. Often my opinions are different than most - I'm not big on Seventh Son (but I love The Clairvoyant) or AMOLAD - but I like and respect them and more importantly, who cares? It's all personal and subjective.

This site is great. I am grateful coming here every day and reading everyone's thoughts and opinions especially when there's a dash of humor thrown in.

If they play something from SIT next year, it would be cool if they also play one song from the other ''space album'', TFF - the title track or Coming Home (maybe When The Wild Wind Blows).

It would be cool if they play a song from TBOS during the Senjutsu tour too, like when they played Brave New World in 2003... you know, confirming the classic. Actually, this is the only time when they played a song from the previous Reunion album during the following album tour. The most likely are Death Or Glory and Speed Of Light - the latter could fit into the space theme (imagine: Stranger In A Strange Land/The Final Frontier/Speed Of Light).

A little point at playing HCW? Because of the fans?

Yep, that. Assuming the stage show won't be scaled down to a major extent, I believe the crew and the band prefer not to have any extra hassle. And yes, the song doesn't exactly need that gimmick to work live, but given it's nature and runtime, I hardly see it serving any role in the flow of the set, unless it's indeed bit of a FOTD/Clansman/etc. substitute. Of course it used to be a live staple and in that sense, the band might find it fun to play, but I just don't see that they'd be that eager to include it. I might be wrong, of course - I do not know how they feel about it!

If they play something from SIT next year, it would be cool if they also play one song from the other ''space album'', TFF - the title track or Coming Home (maybe When The Wild Wind Blows).

It would be cool if they play a song from TBOS during the Senjutsu tour too, like when they played Brave New World in 2003... you know, confirming the classic. Actually, this is the only time when they played a song from the previous Reunion album during the following album tour. The most likely are Death Or Glory and Speed Of Light - the latter could fit into the space theme (imagine: Stranger In A Strange Land/The Final Frontier/Speed Of Light).

It would most definitely be a cool curiosity, but TFF (the song) is basically near the bottom on the list of potential songs to be brought back... :D Coming Home is certainly more likely, but it's most likely setlist spot has a lot of competition from the classics (Revelations, Children of the Damned, etc.) and from Senjutsu as well, as Darkest Hour is basically exactly similar kind of a song. That leaves When the Wild Wind Blows which is a great song, but quite a lengthy one - as will a handful of Senjutsu inclusions most likely be... So probably not.

...I'm being such a killjoy here, haha! Death or Glory sounds plausible enough, but again, I think there's just so much competition among the same kind of songs. Even more with Speed of Light. Besides, Stranger in a Strange Land doesn't really connect to any kind of a "space" theme anyway, aside from the album it's included having that sci-fi & space age vibe, but again, I don't think it'll play much if any role.

I promise to stand shamefully corrected if my predictions/hunches end up being horribly wrong. :p

Last edited:
Yep, that. Assuming the stage show won't be scaled down to a major extent, I believe the crew and the band prefer not to have any extra hassle. And yes, the song doesn't exactly need that gimmick to work live, but given it's nature and runtime, I hardly see it serving any role in the flow of the set, unless it's indeed bit of a FOTD/Clansman/etc. substitute. Of course it used to be a live staple and in that sense, the band might find it fun to play, but I just don't see that they'd be that eager to include it. I might be wrong, of course - I do not know how they feel about it!
The hassle with the fans is the only reason this song hasn't been played live since 2008. Btw, it was in LOTB 2018 tour poster hints. The flow of the song is great live. It was a live staple for 7 tours in a row (1986-1998)!
It would most definitely be a cool curiosity, but TFF (the song) is basically near the bottom on the list of potential songs to be brought back... :D Coming Home is certainly more likely, but it's most likely setlist spot has a lot of competition from the classics (Revelations, Children of the Damned, etc.) and from Senjutsu as well, as Darkest Hour is basically exactly similar kind of a song. That leaves When the Wild Wind Blows which is a great song, but quite a lengthy one - as will a handful of Senjutsu inclusions most likely be... So probably not.

Death or Glory sounds plausible enough, but again, I think there's just so much competition among the same kind of songs. Even more with Speed of Light. Besides, Stranger in a Strange Land doesn't really connect to any kind of a "space" theme anyway, aside from the album it's included having that sci-fi & space age vibe, but again, I don't think it'll play much if any role.
The Final Frontier is a short & easy great live song. How many times they will play the 80's classics such as Revelations, it's time for Coming Home or Death Or Glory/Speed Of Light. :p Agree about Wild Wind. Stranger In A Strange Land has a sci-fi cover and has a bigger chance than the title track of SIT.

I hope they will play Darkest Hour (they almost always play their Reunion era ballad-y songs, Out Of The Shadows was not played in 2007 because they played the whole album during the previous leg), Adrian's solo needs to be seen live and Bruce really shines with this type of songs. Great song.

The hassle with the fans is the only reason this song hasn't been played live since 2008. Btw, it was in LOTB 2018 tour poster hints. The flow of the song is great live. It was a live staple for 7 tours in a row (1986-1998)!

That and the fact that there's simply not much room for that kind of songs due to lack of bigger rotation of "staples" between tours a, new semi-staples from the later stuff, like Blood Brothers and The Wicker Man and dominative presence of 1-2 centerpiece-y songs. Which is good - I wouldn't trade Sign of the Cross (or The Clansman, for that matter) for Heaven Can Wait quite so easily. :p

Besides, is it the only reason? I mean, it sure is probably one of the biggest for it's omission since 1998 save short run of 2003 dates and 2008, but I just don't see it being too high on the list of songs they'd definitely prefer over... well, a bunch of other songs. I agree that it's a solid live track and all, but while it's quite easy for Bruce, I doubt it's really that exciting song to do for him either. And overall, I think it wouldn't really serve too significant role in the set now. Sanctuary was quite a staple too, but I believe it has enjoyed relatively few stints for the very same reason: good fun, but a set of approximately 15 songs doesn't really leave much room for that kind of picks.

The Final Frontier is a short & easy great live song.

It is, but there's quite a lot of those around, right? And most of them are most likely very much higher on the priority list... :D

I don't want to be too nitpicky, especially since I love speculating and setlist fantasies as much as anyone, but I think venturing into "it would be cool/it would be great/I wish..." territory can very easily lead far away even from the actual speculation, hehe.

I mean... I would love to hear Infinite Dreams, Judas be My Guide, Paschendale, Afraid to Shoot Strangers, Still Life and many others, but that has quite little to do with the upcoming tour... :p

Stranger In A Strange Land has a sci-fi cover and has a bigger chance than the title track of SIT.

It most definitely does, but it doesn't really have much to do with the narrative of the song. If it gets played, I doubt the single artwork as it is would be the backdrop. I agree about the song being definitely a realistic option though, especially when compared to Caught Somewhere in Time, which they'll most definitely NOT do ever again.

Last edited:
That and the fact that there's simply not much room for that kind of songs due to lack of bigger rotation of "staples" between tours a, new semi-staples from the later stuff, like Blood Brothers and The Wicker Man and dominative presence of 1-2 centerpiece-y songs.

Besides, is it the only reason? I mean, it sure is probably one of the biggest for it's omission since 1998 save short run of 2003 dates and 2008, but I just don't see it being too high on the list of songs they'd definitely prefer over... well, a bunch of other songs. I agree that it's a solid live track and all, but while it's quite easy for Bruce, I doubt it's really that exciting song to do for him either. And overall, I think it wouldn't really serve too significant role in the set now. Sanctuary was quite a staple too, but I believe it has enjoyed relatively few stints for the very same reason: good fun, but a set of approximately 15 songs doesn't really leave much room for that kind of picks.
^ I agree. Dominant presence of 5 centerpiece-y songs, I'd say.
If it gets played, I doubt the single artwork as it is would be the backdrop.
Why not? It's perfect. Or SIASL Eddie in a snowy landscape (Where Eagles Dare backdrop for LOTB was great). Btw, the only time when they used SIT Eddie (alone) as a backdrop was for Heaven Can Wait in 1992.

Why not? It's perfect. Or SIASL Eddie in a snowy landscape (Where Eagles Dare backdrop for LOTB was great). Btw, the only time when they used SIT Eddie (alone) as a backdrop was for Heaven Can Wait in 1992.

It's a wonderful single artwork, but doesn't have that much to do with the story of the song; it would pop out from the stage set quite a lot, I think, instead of a being an extension of the bigger visual landscape. Of course that alone doesn't mean it wouldn't make it, just as TBOS Eddie had nothing to with Death or Glory as far as the subject matter goes, but I think a landscape kind of a thing would be much better for Stranger anyway and frankly, I believe that's what we would realistically get too. In my opinion, that kind of backdrops are a lot cooler than straightforwardly enlargened versions of single covers, save few exceptions.

In my opinion, that kind of backdrops are a lot cooler than straightforwardly enlargened versions of single covers, save few exceptions.
Landscape backdrops are always awesome, but not for every song (album/single cover is needed for some). Or even landscape backdrops without Eddie (like If Eternity Should Fail and The Talisman backdrops - amazing).
Edit: I agree that a landscape backdrop for Stranger is better.

And since the thread is for Senjutsu-SIT speculation, here are the songs from both albums I think could have a cool landscape backdrop (without Eddie):

Stratego (some landscape from the music video), Lost In A Lost World, The Time Machine, The Parchment (castle in the sand) and Hell On Earth
Caught Somewhere In Time, Sea Of Madness and Heaven Can Wait.

Last edited:
Landscape backdrops are always awesome, but not for every song (album/single cover is needed for some). Or even landscape backdrops without Eddie (like If Eternity Should Fail and The Talisman backdrops - amazing).

And since the thread is for Senjutsu-SIT speculation, here are the songs from both albums I think could have a cool landscape backdrop (without Eddie):

Aye!

However...

Caught Somewhere In Time

Still not going to happen..! ;)

I guess it all comes down to which were your introduction albums. One might as well like th new ones better but by no means are they BETTER albums.

One might as well like th new ones better but by no means are they BETTER albums.

Yeah, subjective value is always hard to measure against more "technical" one anyway.

I sure acknowledge any kind of a media product X is better than media product Y but I might enjoy the latter more anyway, for a variety of reasons. That's why I don't personally care whether this or that Maiden album or song is worth a 8,3 or 8,5 or if the one scoring 8,6 is really "better" or not and whatever... :D

I know I'm in minority but for me the last 6 albums are far superior to 80s and 90s. Most of you may think 80s were the best and that's fine with me. However, the fact for me is that even though I knew IM since 1992, the only song I was listening was Fear of the Dark and I never dug into anything else, bought any IM albums or became a fan until I heard Dance of Death. If they had been making the same kind of music they did in the 80s, I don't think I would be a Maiden fan really. Yes, there are some very good and a few great songs in the 80s as well but my love for IM is mainly because of the music they have been making since BNW. If they only had 6 albums (the last 6 of course) that wouldn't change a thing, they would still be the greatest band on earth (next to Queen) for me. Bottom line is we may have different reasons to like them, but we all love Iron Maiden.

Sorry, but sometimes I realy feel like defending my favourite band when it is said or implied that "they are not as good as the 80s". There are also fans who think that they are much better than the 80s now. And I am one of them.

Although I think their 80s work is for the most part superb (I am not a fan of neither Somewhere in Time nor of Killers), they have done some great music post-reunion. I think A Matter of Life and Death is one of their best album, a top 5 Maiden album for me.

It would be cool if they play a song from TBOS during the Senjutsu tour too, like when they played Brave New World in 2003... you know, confirming the classic. Actually, this is the only time when they played a song from the previous Reunion album during the following album tour.
They played Breeg and Colours on the 2010 leg of TFF, though (and BTATS once, though I don't think that counts)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back