Guns 'N' Roses

Well its a pretty big "if"....

Just last week Slash said he and Axl was finally talking again, but from that to a fullblown reunion is a big step.

Im not sure how I feel about it exactly. I mean its cool on paper but I think it will be an underwhelming experience...too many years have passed.

I bet they'll reunite at the Grammys next year.

And yes it'll be underwhelming. I've never really understood why people want this reunion so bad. They caught lightning in the bottle once and then never lived up to the potential they created. I think seeing that lineup again would not only be disappointing, but it'd stain the legendary status of that first album and tour. It's one of those once in a lifetime things, never to be replicated.

And yes it'll be underwhelming.

Unless Axl is Axl. Shows up 2 hours late, screws up the whole broadcast, they squeeze in GnR at the end... and Axl sees someone making a face halfway through the first verse, says "I'm outta here" and throws down the mic like the old days. That I would love to see.

And yes it'll be underwhelming. I've never really understood why people want this reunion so bad. They caught lightning in the bottle once and then never lived up to the potential they created. I think seeing that lineup again would not only be disappointing, but it'd stain the legendary status of that first album and tour. It's one of those once in a lifetime things, never to be replicated.
That's why they should reunite the UYI lineup instead :p

Anyway, I saw them live 3 years ago and it was awesome. Axl only struggles with songs that require faster singing, but at his age it's understandable. And he doesn't interact much with the audience, but they played for more than 3 hours so it evens out really.

The only downside to this reunion would be that they'd probably stop playing Chinese Democracy songs :(

UYI seems like it was a much better lineup anyway and probably closer to the style they're in now. Plus the UYI are not masterpieces by any stretch so it'd be an easy bar to live up to. :p less set up for disappointment and a chance to do something good without too much of an attempt to recapture Appetite.

GNR looks like they're fun live. I didn't think CD was very good but I like that they experiment. I'd rather them just go in that direction and try to make albums more often than just go backwards.

I hope they get together and do a two-year cabaret tour, so that Slash could leave Myles Kennedy alone. The world needs more Alter Bridge.

And somehow I don't find any of this surprising or exciting.

Slash was still angry/badmouthing Axel earlier this year AFAIR.

G'n'R has got several really good songs (for me, at least), and much of it is Slash's playing. He's really a great guitar player, instantly recognizable, all praises, but as SMX said, a lot of it came down to their youth and lifestyle. Their album sound isn't heavy enough for me, Izzy is a rock'n'roll guy and his style is great for what they did, because there was abudant energy. Now they're grown up men, they can't recreate that any more, and if they don't change their sound, it's going to be weak. Their original sound is not heavy, at least compared to 'normal' heavy metal...

I'd really like them to play songs such as Nightrain and You Could Be Mine with a real heavy, modern sound. Not keeping my hopes high, though. I'm far more enthusiastic for Rainbow 'reunion' shows coming up.

Rumours say that it won't be the full original line-up anyway. So far, it's only Slash, Duff and Axl that are expected to take part in the reunion, if it happens at all. Izzy was not included.
Slash keeps playing Nightrain, You Could Be Mine, Double-Talkin' Jive, Rocket Queen and many others during his solo shows and they all sound exactly like 25 years ago.

While I'm not overtly enthusiastic about this, I'm also not gonna say "No, don't do it". GnR don't have a legacy pristine enough to ruin with a reunion, so give it a go, I'd say.

Get Stradlin back as well. For some reason I thought he was the cool dude, back in the early nineties.
And, more important, he co-wrote a couple of good songs. And he made the best GNR song into what it has become with his co-lead guitars on "Nightrain".

And, more important, he co-wrote a couple of good songs. And he made the best GNR song into what it has become with his co-lead guitars on "Nightrain".
What did he do with Nightrain, Foro? I'm not familar with the story; but am I correct in saying he played part of the solos, even though he's the rhythm guitar player in Guns --is that right?

Yep. I don't know who does what, but I wouldn't change a note in those leads.

You know what I find interesting?

According to wiki, Slash plays co-rhythm guitar on "Nightrain" and "Think About You".
Co-rhythm? Pardon? Does this imply that he did not play rhythm guitar at all on all other songs?

Man, then I'd find Izzy Stradlin even more important. Somehow I had forgotten about that (bought the album on vinyl, back in 1990).

Last edited:
Yep. I don't know who does what, but I wouldn't change a note in those leads.
I've never heard the album version, only live versions with Buckethead soloing. I'll need to check that out...
You know what I find interesting?

According to wiki, Slash plays co-rhythm guitar on "Nightrain" and "Think About You".
Co-rhythm? Pardon? Does this imply that he did not play rhythm guitar at all on all other songs?
Probably just Wiki talking nonsense.
Man, then I'd find Izzy Stradlin even more important. Somehow I had forgotten about that (bought the album on vinyl, back in 1990).
Were you a big Guns fan then?

Back