Guitar solos " The Final Frontier"

I'm alright with that to be honest. The ones he did have weren't that great. Except Talisman was pretty cool.

Oh yes that one too. His solos work great in the fast songs, but as you know, there aren't too many of those on TFF.

What a great thread.

Altho' I've just read it all, would anyone involved in this chat like to summarise the main points of disagreement? There seems to be a heap of talk about channels etc --but, for me, all three (once they get going in solos) are very distinct, regardless of what speaker they come out of. Also there's some chat on songbooks buried in here too (--a topic/thread I recently started in the musicians section, but which got little response.)

I have the songbook. It's great, I recommend it. For the solos mostly. The whole album is pretty easy to learn by ear.

I wonder if some people ever paid attention to Janick's playing if they are so sure.

Adrian hardly plays such high melodies, honestly. Janick does.

More important: Adrian presses the strings differently. He'd never finish such a run with such a thick flat (almost ugly) note, played that way. Janick does.

You're correct. This shows that people can play the same technique but they do it with different approach (own personal style).

Ignoring the fact that this is a 2 year old discussion - the chorus-lick on Isle of Avalon is not Janick. The last note everyone mentions sounds like Janick is a Floyd-Rose dive. The tone is light-years from anything he has ever used. It is Adrian.

It's Janick, with one "n".

Live, the BNW tour was the only tour where Adrian clearly had less solos. Before and after that, the difference was always little. So this problem didn't exist in the last 7 years. Look at the 2008-2009 tours, Adrian had a way bigger share in the solos. That's fair but still you're complaining?

It doesn't look like you want to even it out. It rather looks like you want Janick to play only one or two solos, namely the ones in Fear of the Dark and BNW or something. Very unreasonable.

For the rest, I don't believe that an album is written, and that the solos are divided, with the sole purpose of sharing them live.

This one, I need to voice my opinion on, Forostar. I do agree with Duojett71 here. Janick does in no way do justice to H's solos. Their styles are just too different, and where Adrian's solos are precise, melodic and with a clear intro/middle/build-up/Outro, Janick sort of just bursts out a random blur of notes on those solos. It sounds thin and out of place to me. I'm not knocking Janick in any way, he has done a lot of great work for Maiden, but I prefer him to do his own solos, not Adrian's, as he just doesn't do them justice. It doesn't seem like he's even TRYING, and that's what's bothering me the most. It seems like he is careless when approaching them and that it doesn't matter to him how H's solos come out. That's what's bothering a lot of people. Because you have H there on stage, right next to him, perfectly capable of playing those solos to perfection. Instead, Janick, for some reason, "has" to play them and he plays them in a way that seems (to me) that he doesn't even care. It's basically the same mish mash of random notes and all the solos (when doing Adrian's stuff) sound the same. That's my opinion. Now, do I still see your point? YEs, they (the band) are a democracy and I totally understand they want to even out the solos a bit. Of course it would not be fair to let Janick play only one or two solos the whole night. So it is a balance, and one that is difficult to maintain. Yet, I still feel H should do his original solos, since Janick so clearly shows that he doesn't care about them anyway.

(I don't mean to attack Janick or anything like that, but I know a lot of people feel this way.) Just to clarify again, I do think JAnick has done a lot of great stuff with Maiden and I like a lot of his work, but I think he should stick to what he knows (his own work) and stay out of Adrian's original. (again, this is just my humble opinion.)

Adrian does a lot of his original solos. Most of them in fact. That handful (or less) Janick did isn't that much to complain about. Why be so strong about the few breadcrumbs Janick was allowed to eat?

By the way: DO NOT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT THE CURRENT TOUR.
I don't want to know what happens in 2016, before I have seen a concert.

Yet, I still feel H should do his original solos, since Janick so clearly shows that he doesn't care about them anyway.

Janick indeed does not care too much about Adrian's solos. Even though he did some worse sounding solos (in people their ears), I am still glad that he didn't always do his best to imitate what Adrian did. It may sound less good, but still I rather have that, then have someone forced to act like some copy cat against his own will. Janick didn't get much to do solo wise, in some tours, most notably in the history tours, so I am not surprised that he wanted to give certain things his own touch.

I am sorry you don't like it but we can't expect an individual (like Janick) to do exactly the same as someone else. I know that happens in some other bands, but not here. Don't forget: Adrian did entirely different solos in Transylvania and Strange World. I especially had a problem with his take on Transylvania. Later I understood that Adrian wanted to do his own thing with it, and now I can appreciate it more. (Janick's solo in Transylvania is again very different).

By the way, I quite like some of Janick's solos in the old tracks, played in the nineties when Adrian was not around. E.g. I dig The Evil (the best live version of this song in my opinion, because of its speed and energy, and tremendous drumming) on A Real Live One and there are more original takes on that album and A Real Dead One.

(I don't mean to attack Janick or anything like that, but I know a lot of people feel this way.) Just to clarify again, I do think JAnick has done a lot of great stuff with Maiden and I like a lot of his work, but I think he should stick to what he knows (his own work) and stay out of Adrian's original. (again, this is just my humble opinion.)
I don't find it that humble, if you rather diminish Janick's role. I find it intolerant and against the principle that Janick is around, is a lead guitarist and should be able to be creative and perform as much as the others.

Adrian does a lot of his original solos. Most of them in fact. That handful (or less) Janick did isn't that much to complain about. Why be so strong about the few breadcrumbs Janick was allowed to eat?

By the way: DO NOT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT THE CURRENT TOUR.
I don't want to know what happens in 2016, before I have seen a concert.

Janick indeed does not care too much about Adrian's solos. Even though he did some worse sounding solos (in people their ears), I am still glad that he didn't always do his best to imitate what Adrian did. It may sound less good, but still I rather have that, then have someone forced to act like some copy cat against his own will. Janick didn't get much to do solo wise, in some tours, most notably in the history tours, so I am not surprised that he wanted to give certain things his own touch.

I am sorry you don't like it but we can't expect an individual (like Janick) to do exactly the same as someone else. I know that happens in some other bands, but not here. Don't forget: Adrian did entirely different solos in Transylvania and Strange World. I especially had a problem with his take on Transylvania. Later I understood that Adrian wanted to do his own thing with it, and now I can appreciate it more. (Janick's solo in Transylvania is again very different).

By the way, I quite like some of Janick's solos in the old tracks, played in the nineties when Adrian was not around. E.g. I dig The Evil (the best live version of this song in my opinion, because of its speed and energy, and tremendous drumming) on A Real Live One and there are more original takes on that album and A Real Dead One.

I don't find it that humble, if you rather diminish Janick's role. I find it intolerant and against the principle that Janick is around, is a lead guitarist and should be able to be creative and perform as much as the others.

Although we respectfully will have to disagree, I do see your points and I do like your post, you do put across your opinion in a courteous manner and also you explain well what you mean, so I totally respect that. I like it when people can have a discussion, be in disagreement but yet respect each other's viewpoints. So hail to that!

You are right in that we cannot expect Janick to play the solos exactly the way H plays them. But I feel there should be at least some sort of quality control there, a point where Steve, or someone else, should have steppeed in and said "look, this just sounds out of place". Just to name a couple of examples of what I mean. The Trooper solo doubling in '99. Janick was totally out of sync with H, he sounded out of tune at places and it just sounded totally wrong. Better now? In all fairness, yes, but still, that they let those early efforts pass is beyond me.
Heaven Can Wait from Flight 666. Is that even a solo? I just hear a random mish mash with no structure, no melody, nothing. WOuldn't it have been better to just let H do the solo instead?

Janick's own solos? BRave New WOrld from Rock In Rio (just to take one of many examples). Excellent work, in my opinion. A lot of notes here too, but he structures them and has a melody and feel to it. A great solo which I really like. Or another example: The Clansman. Great, great work. Melody, passion, you feel that the solos is going somewhere. I could name dozens of example, just to illustrate that I don't mean to diminish his role. But my point is, why can't he do that with H's solos? As soon as he is let loose on an H solo, it seems he just completely stops caring about his playing and just churns out some notes that seem totally random. There is no melody, no structure, nothing. Why? Why? Why can't he try to play something nice? And if not, why does he insist of doing those solos?

The one you mentioned, The Evil That MEn Do from the 90's, I totally agree with you. Janick does a good job.

and I also agree with you with regards to when H came in. Some of his versions of the older songs where new and different, but at least there was a melody, there was a structure. But since we discussed Strange World earlier. H's versions of Dennis' solo is clearly very different. Should he have done a replica? I wouldn't mind. Did he? No. Did I mind? No, I think he did a good solo which was his own and not a replica. So fair enough, I see your point, it is unfair to demand that Janick plays H's solos note perfect, but on the other hand I never expected him to either. I just wanted him to show some respect to those solos, just like H did to the solos that he took over when he joined Maiden.

But again,I totally respect your opinion.

I'm somewhat ok with Jan doing those solos.
But Revelations...in my book the 1-2 between Murray and Smith is one of the best solos in r'n'r history. Janick just can't follow.

Back