Guitar solos " The Final Frontier"

Detective Beauregard said:
Guys the Janick thing was a joke, lighten up!

I love Janick; he's the "goofy" one on stage. I call the others "smiley" and "precision."

Jan has contributed much more writing wise for the last three albums than Dave has. I wonder why he writes so little these days.

Ranko said:
Kevin Shirley wrote in his diary that Bruce was dissatisfied with one particular solo that they recorded in Compass Point for this album, I remember someone here saying he thought it was Dave's solo in Coming Home, can that someone elaborate?

It also might not be this forum, so sorry if it wasn't :ninja:

Both solos in that song are really nice. I like H's better, but Dave's is really good as well. Hard to imagine it's this one.

Galvanise_ said:
Jan has contributed much more writing wise for the last three albums than Dave has. I wonder why he writes so little these days.
it has always been that way. He used to write every other album

Dude, all the japanese ones are cool (The debut, Killers, The Number and Piece Of Mind); there's one songbook from Hal Leonard which has the first 4 albums in one book with a great interview with Steve about equipment and a song by song (except Prodigal Son) breakdown (the transcriptions are mostly horrible, but it can be helpful when it comes to the chords naming); Powerslave/Somewhere In Time combo by Wolf Marshall (some wrong parts, wrong positions and some missing stuff, but overall amazing); there's no decent songbook for Seventh Son (both Wise and Hal Leonard are pure shit. Stay away!); No Prayer from Hal Leonard has a lot of errors and the Japanese one got more accurate tabs; Fear Of The Dark is quite good; A Real Live and A Real Dead One are superb; The Factor is superb (just an arpeggio missing on Look For The Truth); unfortunately, there's no songbook for Virtual XI; BNW is pretty bad, incomplete and innacurate, Dance Of Death and A Matter Of Life And Death are mind blowing (just Adrian's chords on the bridge for These Colours Don't Run are missing).

All these songbooks has some wrong position transcriptions and minor missing parts, but the description I gave's pretty much enough to make you decide going or not after them. The Somewhere Back In Time and Anthology songbooks are pretty great, too.

where do you get these books jeff? all i have is AMOLAD and the Anthology

I got them on a local store, years ago. The last 3 studio albums, the Powerslave/SIT (which is offprint) and the japanese stuff, I only got on PDF (also, I used to have ARDO, but I sold to buy another one). The Final Frontier songbook I'll probably buy as in the good old days, in this very same music store.

the book store i go to has tons of off print music books mostly from the late 8Os and early 9Os but no maiden. is the SSOASS book really that bad?

so how do I find out when the book will be availible in the U.S.?

adrian fn rules said:
All solo work is Adrian's for Isle of Avalon  I can see how one might think that first portion is Davey but it's not...                             

How do you know this.....the tone sounds like Dave as does much of the legato....I can see how it might be mistaken for Adrian, because i think Adrian
has rubbed off on Dave on some of solos for this album. I think the first solo on the song is Dave.
Forostar said:
I think Zare deserved a longer answer from my part. Here goes:

Why rule it out? That's the example of how it went when a guitarist does not contribute much in songwriting but still gets a fair share on the record.

H got his share on this song because Jan must have felt that if they would follow the rule "The ones who write way less songs should play way less solos on the album", it wouldn't be that cool. Now on the latest two records, I wonder if H has been as generous to Janick, as Janick was to H. This time Janick writes way less, but now he gets way less solos.

Look at Dave. He doesn't write much either but still gets a fair amount of solos.

Apparently someone in the band thinks the amount of guitarists is about the same as in the eighties.

I agree yes. And who knows, maybe this had to with Janick's hand injury, who knows. By the way, when we look at the songs which were finished as the last three -The Man Who Would Be King, The Alchemist and When The Wild Wind Blows- Jan plays a big role on the last two I mentioned. Besides his solo on his own co-written track he does the guitar melody under Bruce's voice, on Wild Wind. Still this doesn't explain his low amount of solos on the prevous album.

I think there's one particular song on the album that easily could have two solos (each the length of the recorded one): Mother Of Merci. That part is so cool, I'd love to have that extended. But you won't hear me complaining too much about that. In the past I thought some songs had too many songs, now this aspect is really well done.

They had at least some sense of balance (which has to do with mathematics) on the first two albums of this line-up.

Alright, so Janick must have missed some then.

edit:
Per, just read your post, if that's true I feel sorry for Janick that he played so bad. I mean, in the past it apparently went better. Or there were other norms.

I think this is being way over analyzed. From 'Dance Of Death' on Adrian has been the main composer in Maiden behind Steve Harris. If you look back at the Rock In Rio DVD, Adrians live lead work
was minimal compared to Dave and even Jannick. I think now what is going on is that Adrian is doing more lead work on the albums to even it out live. With the upcoming tour probably focusing on
the last two or three albums you will see it evened out somewhat. Adrian only played four solos on BNW....probably because he was rejoining and did not have current tenure in the band. Live what
really needs to happen is that Adrian should play all of his solos from the classic era instead of Jannick doing them or trying to double them over Adrian. Those solos are classic and Jannick does not do
the songs justice with them (i.e. Hallowed Be Thy Name", "Revelations", "Moonchild", "The Trooper", The Evil That Men Do", and some of the fills in "Wrathchild").

A friend just received the songbook for The Final Frontier; he says it is accurately transcribed, all guitars separated and all solos spot on. Definetly worth getting as the last 2 songbooks.

Duojett71 said:
I think this is being way over analyzed. From 'Dance Of Death' on Adrian has been the main composer in Maiden behind Steve Harris. If you look back at the Rock In Rio DVD, Adrians live lead work
was minimal compared to Dave and even Jannick. I think now what is going on is that Adrian is doing more lead work on the albums to even it out live. With the upcoming tour probably focusing on
the last two or three albums you will see it evened out somewhat. Adrian only played four solos on BNW....probably because he was rejoining and did not have current tenure in the band. Live what
really needs to happen is that Adrian should play all of his solos from the classic era instead of Jannick doing them or trying to double them over Adrian. Those solos are classic and Jannick does not do
the songs justice with them (i.e. Hallowed Be Thy Name", "Revelations", "Moonchild", "The Trooper", The Evil That Men Do", and some of the fills in "Wrathchild").

It's Janick, with one "n".

Live, the BNW tour was the only tour where Adrian clearly had less solos. Before and after that, the difference was always little. So this problem didn't exist in the last 7 years. Look at the 2008-2009 tours, Adrian had a way bigger share in the solos. That's fair but still you're complaining?

It doesn't look like you want to even it out. It rather looks like you want Janick to play only one or two solos, namely the ones in Fear of the Dark and BNW or something. Very unreasonable.

For the rest, I don't believe that an album is written, and that the solos are divided, with the sole purpose of sharing them live.

on top of that jan only gets a few solos on a album nowadays.As long as he plays his own solos live i'm fine.

Don Dokken said:
on top of that jan only gets a few solos on a album nowadays.As long as he plays his own solos live i'm fine.

Hehe, this aspect was actually the basis for the whole discussion.

Corrected one solo (learned from the tour):

Forostar said:
1. Satellite 15... The Final frontier
(6:31 – Solo: Adrian Smith)
(7:00 – Solo: Dave Murray)
(7:50 – Solo: Adrian Smith)

2. El Dorado
(3:41 – Solo: Adrian Smith)
(3:53 – Solo: Dave Murray)
(4:05 – Solo: Janick Gers)

3. Mother of Mercy
(2:54 – Solo: Adrian Smith)