Guitar solos " The Final Frontier"

Detective Beauregard

Independent as a hog on ice
Jeffmetal said:
Mostly is Dave left, Adrian center, Jan right.

You sure about that? To me it seems like Adrian is panned to the right on most of the album:

The Final Frontier (not sure about Satellite 15)
El Dorado
Mother of Mercy
Coming Home
The Alchemist
The Talisman
When the Wild Wind Blows

I only say this because when Adrian solos in these songs, the rhythm guitar in the right speaker seems to drops out completely (anything you hear is bleeding through from the center, who I believe is usually Janick). The songs where he doesn't solo (Alchemist, Talisman) are Janick's, who I think is center, and the left speaker sounds more like Dave's style and tone than the right.

An example is When the Wild Wind Blows at 6:42. The band launches into this palm-muted groove; the left sounds somewhat funky (pretty sure it's Davey) while the right is some really low palm-muted chunky stuff, typical of Adrian.

It would seem that the only song that Adrian is panned to the left is The Man Who Would Be King. Additionally, using the whole "rhythm-dropping-out-of-the-speaker" analysis I mentioned earlier, it seems that Murray mostly comes through the left speaker. Perhaps they were trying to mix this album like their older, pre-Janick albums?

It's hard for me to tell sometimes, though, as H's guitar seems to be mixed lower than Davey or Janick's. Maybe it's just his tone.
 

Babo 91

Nomad
Zare said:
Yes, that final note also convinced me that's Janick.
Also the first three notes of the repeating sequence are played somewhat differently throughout the repetition.

It seems to me that Janick had an post-composing idea, they just recorded him and pasted it there.
The tone is similar to Adrian's (because he uses a more classic tone nowadays), the pinch harmonics are reminiscent of his small line in "...and i know" part of Ghost Of The Navigator, but this one is rough and unpolished, and that's just not Adrian.

There's an explanation. I'd like to know what overwhelming evidence "points to it being Adrian", please?
Lick is clean, but it's far from perfect. The timing of notes isn't perfect. Besides, Janick never played "unclean" licks of slow and mid tempo. He's sloppy on the fast side only.
Janick uses a lot of pinch harmonics, a lot. Sometimes they don't come out quite right ('cause he's sloppy  :D), but as a guitarist i can sometimes hear even a failed pinch harmonic...if you hit it good, you will barely hear the root note. If you hit it bad, you'll hear the root note a lot, with a bit of a harmonic too.

Im starting to think that it could be janick but im still swaying towards H. When the lick is played a second time under the vocals them pinch harmonics are perfectly executed. Janicks pinch harmonics always sound different to them ones. Listen to adrians in no more lies or wildest dreams, they sound pretty identical.

But i will probably be proved wrong soon.
 

Onun

Invader
I still think it's Adrian but that last note it's weird, it's 'Janick playing' right there.

But what makes me think it is Adrian it's that tone, it's somewhat similar to the solo and the harmonics aren't that different from Adrian's when played live (i think that in Death on the Road he plays something like this),but i won't put my hands on the fire for this anymore, let's hope they play it live!
 
ermmm .. about those "lick" issues on the final part of the Isle of Avalon, yes! those final note is certainly Janick's but the tone .. well, how about my stupid theory anybody? that Janick just mess around during recording session and occasionally used H's guitars and rig set-ups just to do those "pinch harmonics"?? unless those 3-amigos have set their self-regulation that forbid 'em to ever touch or use other's guitars .. if that's such a case then I have no better idea ..
 

Forostar

Ancient Mariner
Could be Kwok Fu Seng, but no matter what material the amigos use, their personal style should always shine through.
 

Babo 91

Nomad
Forostar said:
Could be Kwok Fu Seng, but no matter what material the amigos use, their personal style should always shine through.

Them first few notes of the lick just seem to float, it sounds like adrians picking and i feel the harmonics are part of adrians style not Janicks.

Whoah this is a lot of discussion over about 10 notes.
 
I love AMOLAD like a child and it has some amazing guitars solos...in particular Adrian's in These Colours Don't Run and Dave's during The Reincarnation of Benedict Breeg, and Dave's fluttery finale in The Longest Day.  But what AMOLAD missed was back to back twin or triple solos.  It's not until FTGGOG that you get one guitarist firing off a solo straight on the back of another guitarist's solo (maybe Out of the Shadows but I'm not sure).  And the only other song for back to back multiple solo's is Lord of Light.  (classic album mind you, one of the best in my opinion)

But The Final Frontier has 4 back to back solos and three of these are in the first four songs + there is hardly any space between the solos in Isle of Avalon and also Adrian and Dave's in WTWWB are almost back-to-back so at a stretch you could classify these as simultaneous solos too.  This is a true highlight of the album to me...the fact they are soloing off each other again.  To hear Dave pull off a wah-wah based blues hammer-on solo straight after Adrian has laid down a technically sound and harmonic metal solo is one of the reasons I'm a fan.  And if it becomes a triple solo with a frenetic manic Janick fret attack I'm even happier.

Multiple solos in succession...a highlight of The Final Frontier.

Footnote: having just read Kevin Shirley's diary on the maiden website some interesting details are revealed about the guitars.....Dave plays a Les Paul on the solo for Coming Home...Dave's solo in The Man Who Would Be King is dubbed backwards and Adrian was meant to play a solo after it but they all thought things were sounding crazy with Dave's solo and so went into a three way harmony bit to return some order to the song...
 

Jeffmetal

Ancient Mariner
Wise Publications said that within 4 to 6 weeks they'll announce the release date for The Final Frontier songbook.
 

Ranko

I'll shoot the gunner first!
The Mid-Distance Runner said:
Dave's solo in The Man Who Would Be King is dubbed backwards and Adrian was meant to play a solo after it but they all thought things were sounding crazy with Dave's solo and so went into a three way harmony bit to return some order to the song...

So, Dave recorded his solo and then Shirley clicked "invert" and the solo is "backwards"? :D
 

Ranko

I'll shoot the gunner first!
Kevin Shirley wrote in his diary that Bruce was dissatisfied with one particular solo that they recorded in Compass Point for this album, I remember someone here saying he thought it was Dave's solo in Coming Home, can that someone elaborate?

It also might not be this forum, so sorry if it wasn't :ninja:
 

Detective Beauregard

Independent as a hog on ice
Ranko said:
Kevin Shirley wrote in his diary that Bruce was dissatisfied with one particular solo that they recorded in Compass Point for this album, I remember someone here saying he thought it was Dave's solo in Coming Home, can that someone elaborate?

:lol:

That's funny. If Bruce actually was "dissatisfied" with one of the solos, then perhaps he should have played a better solo.

Guitar solos are none of the singer's business, unless he/she is singing over them.
 

Mosh

Winner of the 2020 Dumbest Comment Ever Award
Staff member
but this song is very much Bruce's and is easily one of his best and has a lyrical content that means very much to him. If, in his eyes, the solo  ruins HIS song he has the right to express his disliking of it. If he was to condemn a solo in, let's say, WTWWB, then you make a good point because he didn't have anything to do with it. CH is easily THE Bruce song on the album and if he finds something wrong with it he has the right to change it. That being said, the Dave solo on Coming Home is excellent. 
 

Detective Beauregard

Independent as a hog on ice
Don Dokken said:
but this song is very much Bruce's and is easily one of his best and has a lyrical content that means very much to him. If, in his eyes, the solo  ruins HIS song he has the right to express his disliking of it. If he was to condemn a solo in, let's say, WTWWB, then you make a good point because he didn't have anything to do with it. CH is easily THE Bruce song on the album and if he finds something wrong with it he has the right to change it. That being said, the Dave solo on Coming Home is excellent. 

I'm still not sure I agree with that train of thought. If CH was on one of Bruce's solo albums I'd completely understand, but it's not. Iron Maiden is a band with six members, and as such, each member comprises 19% of it (Janick is 5%).
 

Mosh

Winner of the 2020 Dumbest Comment Ever Award
Staff member
How is Jan 5% of Iron Maiden??? He is very much an equal. As a matter of fact he's been in the band longer than both H and Bruce. (both left at one point remember?) I took your post and POV with complete understanding until that Janick statement. It really makes your opinion non-persuasive when you bash a member of the band. That's almost like saying Iron Maiden with Blaze isn't Iron Maiden. Give me 3 good reasons why Jan is only 5% and I'll take back this whole post.
 

Ranko

I'll shoot the gunner first!
Don Dokken said:
How is Jan 5% of Iron Maiden??? He is very much an equal. As a matter of fact he's been in the band longer than both H and Bruce. (both left at one point remember?) I took your post and POV with complete understanding until that Janick statement. It really makes your opinion non-persuasive when you bash a member of the band. That's almost like saying Iron Maiden with Blaze isn't Iron Maiden. Give me 3 good reasons why Jan is only 5% and I'll take back this whole post.

The part of Jan being not equal to the others is bull, I agree.

As for the guys' tenure in Maiden, it's as follows:

Adrian arrived in October of 1980 and left in January of 1990, that's 9 years 3 months. Bruce arrived in September of 1981, left in September 1993, 12 years exactly. Janick arrived in January 1990.

When we add the reunion date (February 1999), it turns out that Adrian has been in the band roughly the exact amount of time as Janick (or vice versa, depends on how you look at it)! Bruce has been in the band two and a half years longer than the two of them.
 

Mosh

Winner of the 2020 Dumbest Comment Ever Award
Staff member
I have always counted 1981-1990 and 1999- as Two seperate tenures for H and 1982-1993 and 1999- as two seperate tenures for Bruce. Their second tenure with the band has lasted about eleven years so far. Janick has had a longer tenure of 21 years so far. That is how I see him being in the band longer
 

Mosh

Winner of the 2020 Dumbest Comment Ever Award
Staff member
Jeffmetal said:
Wise Publications said that within 4 to 6 weeks they'll announce the release date for The Final Frontier songbook.
Cool. Will it be in the U.S?
 
Top