GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

Your bit was workin til ye brought Dream Theater into it
I almost wish I liked the old DT, gods know ive tried over a good few years but they just dont click, literally the first 15 secs of SIT is better value for me that DTs whole career. I find DT stale and lifeless and more than a bit irritating. I respect the opinion of fuckers on here that adore them and I should like them, on paper, but as it is, I wish I had 2 more hands so I could give them guys 4 thumbs down.

Sit down, pleb. :p

BTW - Ride the Lightning. You know, this time around... it's just as easy a choice. I'm flabbergasted as well.

I almost wish I liked the old DT, gods know ive tried over a good few years but they just dont click, literally the first 15 secs of SIT is better value for me that DTs whole career. I find DT stale and lifeless and more than a bit irritating. I respect the opinion of fuckers on here that adore them and I should like them, on paper, but as it is, I wish I had 2 more hands so I could give them guys 4 thumbs down.
You could always imagine those big toes as foot thumbs and bend them downwards.

I choose Metallica for their extremity.
meeDBTH.gif

I originally voted for RTL but last night, listening to the album, I realised how much more I like SIT and couldn’t bring myself to vote for Metallica anymore, so I refrained from voting altogether. The invisible hand has decided.

Iron_Maiden_-_Powerslave.jpg

Iron Maiden - Powerslave (1984)

How it got here

List entries: Rolling Stone 38, Loudwire 35, Metal Rules 6, Metalstorm 4, DigitalDreamDoor 11, Metal Kingdom 12
Maidenfans Nominators: @Collin, @Cornfed Hick, @Diesel 11, @Dityn DJ James, @Dr Eddie’s Wingman, @FTB, @Jer, @LooseCannon, @matic22, @Midnight, @Saapanael, @srfc, @The Dissident, @The Flash
Previous Rounds:
League 1: Defeated Deep Purple - Machine Head 35-1.
Round of 32: Defeated Megadeth - Peace Sells.. But Who’s Buying 31-3.
Round of 16 - Match 1vs.
Metallica_-_Master_of_Puppets_cover.jpg

Metallica - Master of Puppets (1986)

How it got here

List entries: Rolling Stone 2, Loudwire 2, Metal Rules 1, DigitalDreamDoor 2, Metal Kingdom 45
Maidenfans Nominators: @Ariana, @Cornfed Hick, @Diesel 11, @Dr Eddie’s Wingman, @FTB, @Jer, @matic22, @Midnight, @MrKnickerbocker, @phantomoftheicarus, @Poto, @srfc, @The Flash, @Travis The Dragon, @Whooten, @Yax
Previous Rounds:
League 1: Defeated Rush - Moving Pictures 29-7.
Round of 32: Defeated Bruce Dickinson - Accident of Birth 22-12.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Megadeth-RustInPeace.jpg

Megadeth - Rust in Peace (1990)

How it got here

List entries: Rolling Stone 19, Loudwire 33, Metal Rules 16, DigitalDreamDoor 8, Metal Kingdom 2
Maidenfans Nominators: @Ariana, @Black Wizard, @Collin, @Diesel 11, @Dr Eddie’s Wingman, @FTB, @karljant, @Midnight, @Mosh, @Saapanael, @The Flash, @Whooten, @Yax
Previous Rounds:
League 1: Defeated Pantera - Cowboys From Hell 35-6.
Round of 32: Defeated Judas Priest - Defenders of the Faith 25-11.
Round of 16 - Match 2vs.
Judas_Priest_British_Steel.jpg

Judas Priest - British Steel (1980)

How it got here

List entries: Rolling Stone 3, Loudwire 31, Metal Rules 21, DigitalDreamDoor 49
Maidenfans Nominators: @matic22, @mckindog, @Yax
Previous Rounds:
League 1: Defeated Scorpions - Love at First Sting 28-12.
Round of 32: Defeated Black Sabbath - Master of Reality 19-18.

Your Round of 16 will feature the following matchups:

Iron Maiden - Powerslave vs. Metallica - Master of Puppets
Megadeth - Rust in Peace vs. Judas Priest - British Steel
Judas Priest - Stained Class vs. Rainbow - Rising
Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys Pt. II vs. Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny
Iron Maiden - A Matter of Life and Death vs. Metallica - Ride the Lightning
Judas Priest - Screaming For Vengeance vs. Judas Priest - Painkiller
Bruce Dickinson - The Chemical Wedding vs. Iron Maiden - Brave New World
Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son vs. Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss

I just did the math and realized we're currently scheduled to end on May 18, 2 days shy of one full year. That leaves me time to conduct 2 tiebreakers if needed.

Iron Maiden v Metallica - I think the weakest links on both albums are about the same level, losfer words and flash of the blade versus the thing that should not be and leper messiah, but Powerslave smashes Puppets at the higher level with only the title track of puppets being on the level of Aces High, 2 Minutes to Midnight, Powerslave and Rime.

Iron Maiden with the win

Megadeth v Judas Priest - I'm going to go with Rust in Peace here, they are probably equal enough albums but whereas British Steel delivers with the commercial hits, the big hitters on Rust in Peace are more musically adventurous.

Megadeth with the win

Maiden and Megadave. Powerslave is shared 1st of my favourite albums list, Rust in Peace contains some songs that steamroller everything on British Steel.

Given Somewhere In Time’s tendency to win these types of games, and despite RTL clearly being better and more influential, I kinda consider that last round an upset.

Back