GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

Slayer to me is all about the riffage. I don’t pop on a Slayer tune for the crooning vocals or the soaring emotive guitar solos or the overall masterful composition of the piece; it’s all about the riffs. The riffs in Angel of Death and Dead Skin Mask are two that pop into my head right away; they’re excellent.

Their lyrics are funny, too, if you view them as being self-aware of the cheese. Which, I mean, how can they not be?

Transforming of five toes to two
Learn the sacred words of praise, hail Satan

Pumped with fluid, inside your brain
Pressure in your skull begins pushing through your eyes

It’s clearly all for shock value, and most of the time I can’t hold back the laughter. Throw that over a bangin’ riff and baby, you got a stew goin!

Slayer to me is all about the riffage. I don’t pop on a Slayer tune for the crooning vocals or the soaring emotive guitar solos or the overall masterful composition of the piece; it’s all about the riffs. The riffs in Angel of Death and Dead Skin Mask are two that pop into my head right away; they’re excellent.
Thanks for trying.

I see Slayer as the equivalent of a cathartic angry yell and I can see the appeal on that level.
I struggle with the idea of a 30-minute angry yell as being something you want to go back to repeatedly. Or the repeated re-crafting of the same emotional beat again and again — no matter how that moment speaks to you — being considered "great" on an artistic level.

Different emotional beat, but I guess this is how some of you perceive AC/DC.

I'd have happily voted Reign In Blood over any post-80s Maiden album, maybe some of the 80s Maiden albums even, but Seventh Son is one of the four Maiden albums that I find really great.
Needless to say, I'd vote Reign In Blood over many of the albums still in the game...

The good news is that even if Seasons In The Abyss wins this match, it will fall beneath Seventh Son’s tank treads in the next round, so it’s only postponing its inevitable dirt nap.

The invisible hand has already declared extreme metal unworthy, and it would appear that Slayer is next on the naughty list.

AdmirableAngryFishingcat-size_restricted.gif

“Sometimes people deserve to have their faith rewarded...”

The invisible hand has already declared extreme metal unworthy

You're really seriously missing out on Opeth and Swallow the Sun. I hope one day you'll see the light.

Not saying this as an extreme metal fan (I'm actually quite the opposite) - saying this as someone who's passionate for music and arts. These two are Romantic in the old fashioned way. That means sometimes a description of a bloody scene or a bowels of a corpse (the harsh vocals), but these add up with the other things to create a tapestry of life, of beauty. A narrative greater than life. A dynamic hope for transcendence.
A beauty that captivates and brings to tears, yet heals the soul.

Just sayin'.

You're really seriously missing out on Opeth and Swallow the Sun. I hope one day you'll see the light.
I’ve heard plenty of Opeth. Music’s great, clean vocals are great, but their harsh vocals are intolerable to my ears. Can’t get over that particular hump.

I’ve heard a few Swallow The Sun tracks but no longer remember them.

’Non-extreme metal’ sounds a bit like ‘The Party of Moderate Progress Within the Bounds of the Law’, doesn’t it?
I’d say that’s a fairly extreme point of view...

’Non-extreme metal’ sounds a bit like ‘The Party of Moderate Progress Within the Bounds of the Law’, doesn’t it?

On a similar theme, to those complaining about extreme metal not making the upper echelons of this game, if extreme albums did make it that far into the dizzying heights of sharing a platform with all the mainstream big name metal albums, could they really be considered extreme anymore?

On a similar theme, to those complaining about extreme metal not making the upper echelons of this game, if extreme albums did make it that far into the dizzying heights of sharing a platform with all the mainstream big name metal albums, could they really be considered extreme anymore?

1. According to some/most definitions?, "extreme metal" is pretty much everything apart from traditional heavy metal - thrash, groove, doom. That would mean Master of Puppets is extreme metal, Pantera is extreme metal etc.

2. Even the most abrasive things can be perceived as great and be up there with the greats. Rite of Spring sounds hostile even today, yet is it among the "classics".

3. Whatever, man, #IJustWanttoTeachtheWorldHowtoOpeth (in Perfect Harmony).

Yes, thirty or so people supporting them wouldn't make them mainstream I guess.

Back