GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

Slayer is all cool riffs and attitude, and basically nothing else. The soloing sucks, the vocals suck, and the songwriting mostly sucks. I guess the drumming is pretty good. But across all their entries in the GMAC, these guys are pretty consistently strong and weak in the same areas, and the weak areas far outnumber the strong ones. I am fundamentally unimpressed by the band and would never choose to listen to one of their albums unless my only other options were worse.

Have we seen an analysis yet of why either Slayer is "great?"

Have we seen an analysis yet of why either Slayer is "great?"
I believe this was the full extent of that argument:
tenor.gif

Iron Maiden v Slayer - Both bands best album. Easy choice in voting for my all time favourite album.

Iron Maiden with the win

Slayer v Ozzy Osbourne - Another one that is a tough choice, but my gut reaction is Blizzard of Ozz. After thinking about it for a few seconds, my brain agrees too. Blizzard has more signature tracks than Seasons, higher highs, less lows and more consistent over the length of the album. Plus Randy Rhoads.

Ozzy Osbourne with the win

Easy vote for Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son - one of the top metal albums of all time.

Blizzard Of Ozz is probably the best solo album of Ozzy, so my vote is for it.

Wait

Voting Reign in Blood over Seventh Son cuz are you kidding me? Under half an hour of the most intense metal experience with some of the greatest compositions the genre has ever known

"Compositions"? Seriously? Look, I'm not being a dick, I'm just honestly baffled, I never saw the album praised for its compositional beauty. Like, aggression, maybe, perhaps some of the riffs, Lombardo on cocaine, edge, darkness, atmosphere, speed, even the mysterious criterium of "catchiness", whatever, seen that, but come on, more than half of the album are not even actual proper songs!

Wait

"Compositions"? Seriously? Look, I'm not being a dick, I'm just honestly baffled, I never saw the album praised for its compositional beauty. Like, aggression, maybe, perhaps some of the riffs, Lombardo on cocaine, edge, darkness, atmosphere, speed, even the mysterious criterium of "catchiness", whatever, seen that, but come on, more than half of the album are not even actual proper songs!
But it's up against compositions like Infinite Dreams and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. Easy win for Slayer.

Compositions as in great songs. Reign in Blood fucking slays. It’s an album I put on when I just want to get blasted with heavy animosity. Lots of fun and enjoyment and you don’t have to puzzle over what the hell is going on with the Seventh Son’s story. And yeah, “Angel of Death” and “Raining Blood” are two of the greatest metal songs of all time and honestly better than any of the songs on its opponent. If this wasn’t a Maiden server it would without a doubt kick out SSOASS. Just look at about any metal album list and see where they both rank.

EDIT: If you put “beauty” and “Slayer” in the same sentence then you’ve missed the point. :p

Man, you're weird. But I'm Doing My Best to Respect Your Opinion.

I still don't think that those one-minute chunks of chaos with not much discernible structure whatsoever should be praised for "composition".

But that's not a hill I'd like to die upon.

(just for the record, SSOASS is my least favourite post-NOTB 80's Maiden album. There are some serious clunkers. The out-of-rhythm synth aaaahs on the title track would be enough to drag the album below 7/10 by themselves. Still, the ending to that track is more thrilling than anything Slayer ever did - more musical, more thought-through etc...)

I’m pretty ok with this draw. Seasons in the Abyss is a far stronger album than Reign in Blood, but neither hold a candle to seventh son. On the other hand, both wipe the floor with the Ozzy album which, although enjoyable, has a lot of filler in the middle. Happily voting for Seventh Son and Seasons.

Back