GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

Temple of the Dog - I must have listened to that cassette thousands of times. Yes, I'm that old. This album is a milestone in my musical taste.
Sabaton - Coat of Arms may not be their best album but it's certainly better than Death. Also, the title track is awesome.
Nuclear Assault - not really my cup of tea, but neither is Star One. *cough* female vocals *cough*
Soen - I'd never heard them before, but I will certainly check them out. I really liked what I heard here.

I cannot possibly vote Sabaton over Chuck.
I like that SOAD album but Temple of the Dog is some good stuff I never properly listened to, so I'll skip that.

Following I'm presented with a novelty: Star One. The song starts and I kinda like it: "some Tony Martin era kinda doomy Sabbath meets prog metal and yup... it's enjoyable!" (curious enough TM sings in one song here). Then a really familiar voice kicks in: "wait... isn't this... Swano?" And now you're forcing me to google it to find what this thing is while I'm still listening to it and still liking it. "Ah! It's one of Arjen's many projects. Some interesting guests here and a concept album about Sci Fi movies. Ok... looks nice enough. Let's give it an overview". And I must confess although not being an Arjen fan this is a really well conceived record with some cool highlights here and there the Damian dude really can sing and the guy from Symphony X also delivers the goods (their voices are a bit similar but hey... it works and it seems there's room from everyone). Floor Jansen does her part with stainless efficiency and she sounds especially great when contrasting with Swano's variety of mid and lower frequency vocalizations. Arjen's arrangements regarding synth effects is also interesting to say the least and, in a larger point of view, so does the whole of the record. the only downside are a handful of forced chorus but apart from that nothing to point at negatively. So, besides It All Ends Here I really liked the chugging of Earth That Was, the uptempo heaviness recovering some 70's metal traits of Human See Human Do, the swinging between prog and almost goth metal in Two Plus Two Equals Five. Arjen's solo singing Last Day is also really appealing and the album closes with a really cool Sabbathesque tune sang by ... WTF? Tony Martin? Now this is foreshadowing at its best! So while not considering to be nothing out of this world I think that Victims Of Modern Age really has some exciting and interesting passages while working finely as a whole. And that doesn't surprises me the least since Arjen's the mastermind behind whole thing and although I'm not quite a fan of his work it's plaint to see through his reportoire this guy is a crafted composer to say the least. In sum: although not being my cup of tea entirely I liked Star One... and liked it enough to vote for it. To say the truth it was a virtual tie with Nuclear Assault's Game Over... but perhaps due to the novelty effect I took Arjen and company's side. And then I fucked up and clicked in the wrong square. Sorry Night Prowler for messing it up (assured angry faced emoji incoming) but if you convince LooseCanon to invalidate my own goal I'll rectify it. If not Game Over is also ok so at least I didn't vote for some crappy album.
At least you liked it, it was gonna lose anyway. So I got you the appropriate faced emoji :P

Depressing results to be honest...

Voted for SOAD, great album. Death - I like Sabaton more overall, but that album is not better than Death's album. Star One, obviously, gets my vote. Amazing album from start to finish, including the bonus tracks. I actually like that Soen album, but overall that style is really grating to me. Soen is quite obviously bigly inspired by Tool and Tool's music is also super grating to me. Pluton is a cool song, and Lopez's drumming is great, but I just can't listen to this too much. So Sabbat it is.

Sabaton is to power metal what Slayer is to thrash.
giphy.gif

Temple of the Dog - Temple of the Dog - This SoaD album is interesting but annoying at certain bits. Not a huge fan of the more chilled out approaches of the grunge scene, but TotD is decent and has some great vocals.
Death - Scream Bloody Gore - Glad to have come back from my temporary hiatus from the forum just in time to vote for this early death metal gem over the disaster that is Sabaton.
Nuclear Assault - Game Over - Quite the contrast here, over-the-top dramatic work from Ayreon versus balls-to-the-wall thrash by Nuclear Assault. I'm taking the latter, the former doesn't deliver the goods required for how demanding it is.
Sabbat - Dreamweaver - Soen is a lazy Tool rip-off and I don't really care for Tool to begin with. Sabbat has more going for them.

I'm gonna go against my own nomination and vote for Temple of the Dog in the first pair because they fit my mood better.
Death over Coat of Arms, which is not one of the better Sabaton albums.
Nuclear Assault barely wins my sympathy as they sound more organic than the ambitious Star One.
Even though Soen sounds overproduced, I quite like this song.

Back