GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

TempleOfTheDog.jpg

Temple of the Dog - Temple of the Dog (1991)

How it got here

List entries: n/a
Maidenfans Nominators: @Lampwick 43
League 12 - Match 9vs.
Mezmerize-LP.jpg

System of a Down - Mezmerize (2005)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Saapanael
Previous Rounds:
League 13: Defeated Skid Row - Skid Row 14-12.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
220px-Cover_coat_of_arms.jpg

Sabaton - Coat of Arms (2010)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @KidInTheDark666
League 12 - Match 10vs.
Scream_Bloody_Gore.jpg

Death - Scream Bloody Gore (1987)

How it got here

List entries: DigitalDreamDoor 19
Maidenfans Nominators: n/a
Previous Rounds:
League 14: Defeated Baroness - The Red Album 13-12.
League 13: Defeated Corrosion of Conformity - Blind 18-7.

Star_One_-_Victims_of_the_Modern_Age_album_cover.jpg

Star One - Victims of the Modern Age (2010)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Night Prowler
League 12 - Match 11vs.
Nuclear_Assault_-_Game_Over.jpg

Nuclear Assault - Game Over (1986)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Magnus
Previous Rounds:
League 13: Defeated Living Colour - Vivid 19-7.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Soen_-_%22Tellurian%22_Cover_Art.jpg

Soen - Tellurian (2014)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Shmoolikipod
League 12 - Match 12vs.
Sabbatdreamweaverreflectionofouryesterdayrr5.jpg

Sabbat - Dreamweaver (1989)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Magnus
Previous Rounds:
League 13: Defeated Pantera - Far Beyond Driven 14-13.

I don't have high hopes for it in this round against SOAD, but Temple of the Dog is a fantastic album. For those unaware, it was a short project featuring Chris Cornell on vocals, and the rest of the band would go on to become Pearl Jam. Hunger Strike features Eddie Vedder on lead vocals as well, and is definitely their most famous song, but I selected Say Hello 2 Heaven for this as a way to showcase what else this album has to offer. Cornell's performance on this whole album is simply remarkable, and this is a great song to showcase that.

Temple of the Dog example song had a nice, irresistible grunge sound. Really liked this one.
System of a Down wasn't too bad either. I liked the rhythm on the example song. The shouting part near the end I didn't like.

Sabaton I had been waiting for, because people talk about them a lot, and I had never heard them. And I'm glad I had this opportunity now. Sometimes I don't understand why people love some music so much, but I do understand the appeal of this one. Made me smile, pompous as hell, but boy does it work! The lyrics may have been a bit silly though.
Death: Sometimes I don't understand why people love some music so much.

Star One: I don't really like this.
Nuclear Assault: This is kind of fun and energetic.

Soen: For some reason I felt distressed by this. Maybe it was the combination of the music, album cover and music video. Had to turn off the video at some point, because I started feeling so unpleasant (but I did listen to the whole song).
Sabbat: Can't say I liked this, a bit too frenzied for my taste. But less distressing than Soen.

I allready gave my opinion on SOAD in another round: too ecclectic, too much of everything, too much of not my thing.
While the grunge genre was big in my teenage years, this Temple Of The Dog album was never a favorite. But I'm going to throw @Lampwick 43 a doggy bone here.

Voted for Death a couple of earlier rounds, but now I have to go with Sabaton. But! Mainly because of the great music and a little Sverige bias. But I'm never going to be a fan of Brrrrodén's voice.

Nuclear Assault is good. But that's about it. Sorry @Magnus. I have alot of Ayreon albums in my collection, but none of Star One. ...yet. :p

Soen isn't bad, I like some parts of the song but it's not really something I would listen to again.
Sabbat is far more interesting for me.

Because I like maybe one album a round and it's immediately kicked out.
It often happens to me too that I only like 1-2 albums per round. I've noticed I still like metal, but only a select few genres. There are many genres I don't like the sound of.

Reactions: Jer
Because I like maybe one album a round and it's immediately kicked out. If I like 2 albums in a round they end up against one another. And now I am starting to hope Wish You Were Here wins the whole damn thing.
Yeah, I’ve long felt the same way, and it’s been for longer than this game’s existence. Instead of thinking of myself as a metalhead — even though I fit the criteria — I just think of myself as a music fan who happens to prefer the metal genre overall.

I’m gonna guess most people here like music besides Metal.

This game has been pretty diverse and most types of Metal well represented. There are definitely certain types of albums here that do better than others, but that has always been a hallmark of the forum.

You should feel... well, yes, victorious, manly, energized, proud, sometimes even cathartic. Also, you could feel nerdy, because of what they sing about ... if you actually do know and if you don't mind their lyrics are more like... Alexander the Great in that regard (that is, clunky, shallow, name-droppy and definitely not very nerdy themselves).

So kinda like watered down Primordial. Or Alestorm without the stylistic diversity and the humor. :ninja:
(Still love them, though).

P. S. - although the lyrics to Rise of Evil are again, clunky namedropping, mostly
(Rebuilding an army
Make the nation proud
Disregarding the treaty
Secret plans for "Lebensraum"
Start the Holocaust
is, like, a fifth grade material at best)
still, the delivery, the groovy riff... it all makes it kinda creepy, eerie. There's honestly something to that song.

Still not really understanding the attraction. Feel pride? Feel victorious? Feel manly? Think I'll be skipping that macho bullshit.

So give me another reason not to like this band. When you say "what they sing about". What are they singing about exactly? What kind of nerdy things?

Back