GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

No tough choices for me in this round:
Thorns sounded terrible. Gojira is one of these modern "extreme" metal bands that I don't love, but the quality is nonetheless evident.
Blaze still can't sing, never could, but his band is pretty good and this otherwise ticks the right boxes.
Blind Guardian is by far the best artist, and Tales is by far the best album, in this round. BG should go deep in this tournament.
I've written before why I'm not a huge fan of FNM, and I like Motorhead, so there you go.

Feel like I also should mention the sad passing of Riley Gale from Power Trip. They are one of the best "young" metal bands out there (he was only 34), and those of you who complain that you don't like newer metal should give 'em an extended listen. They recently advanced in this game, just a week or so ago. A terrible loss.

Feel like I also should mention the sad passing of Riley Gale from Power Trip. They are one of the best "young" metal bands out there (he was only 34), and those of you who complain that you don't like newer metal should give 'em an extended listen. They recently advanced in this game, just a week or so ago. A terrible loss.

Just a devastating loss. I think it was Mosh who referred to that album as as close to an instant classic that is in this game. It truly is, and this is a very big loss for metal and humanity in general. I was lucky enough to see them a couple of times and due to Riley's insistence I went into a pit for the first time in over 20 years. I may have gotten a minor concussion from the endless torrent of stage divers, but that's a mother story. I was really looking forward to seeing what this band could become, but their limited output (2 albums and a compilation of eps and singles) already had more highlights than a lot of bands have over their whole career.

I’m surprised about the votes for Thorns. It sounds like something only Magnus would listen to. Perhaps the other voters are just anti-Gojira.
I'll point more to the fact that, although being really extreme music, it's varied, outside the box and cleverly composed. And if anyone who takes a step outside his regular angle of "seeing" music can easily experience it. And that's something a lot of people in the last years/ decade are eager for: novelty, something that isn't a recycled version of something else no matter how well recycled it may be. That is why I believe Thorns sound appealing to some people that aren't even into extreme metal: although struggling with the harsh vocals, heavy buzz saw guitars and all the same old metaphoric references I believe it's the overall sense of novelty and freshness that captivates them.

Thorns aren't enough to stop the kaiju Gojira from stomping all over them. That's it for Thorns, and next up is The Business.
Blaze Bayley has his first win in the tournament, beating out a Virgin Steele album that had four previous wins. Virgin Steele's other album in this league is in Extra Time.
Yngwie can't shred himself out of a battle with Blind Guardian, who win their second consecutive. That's it for Yngwie, and next the Germans face Suicidal Tendencies.
Finally, Faith No More wins over Motörhead. Lemmy & co. are back in League 9.

Yngwie can't shred himself out of a battle with Blind Guardian, who win their second consecutive.
Well, now you’ve gone and released the fucking fury. Blind leading the blind, no one sees the seventh sign.

Hate to break it to poor Yngwie, but he is a loser, and it’s such a shame. Hansi Kürsch has Yngwie’s lifeblood in his hair.

Def_Leppard_-_High_%27n%27_Dry.jpg

Def Leppard - High ‘n’ Dry (1981)

How it got here

List entries: n/a
Maidenfans Nominators: @Jer
League 13 - Match 25vs.
Led_Zeppelin_-_Physical_Graffiti.jpg

Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti (1975)

How it got here

List entries: Metalstorm 50
League 15: Defeated Royal Hunt - Paradox 13-9.
League 14: Defeated Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor 15-8.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lupus_Dei_Cover_.jpg

Powerwolf - Lupus Dei (2007)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Jer
League 13 - Match 26vs.
220px-Rainbow_-_Ritchie_Blackmore%27s_Rainbow_%281975%29_front_cover.jpg

Rainbow - Ritchie Blackmore’s Rainbow (1975)

How it got here

List entries: Metalstorm 49
Previous Rounds:
League 15: Defeated Crimson Glory - Crimson Glory 12(ET)-11.
League 14: Defeated Tony MacAlpine - Maximum Security 20-3.

System_Of_A_Down-Hypnotize.jpg

System of a Down - Hypnotize (2005)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Saapanael
League 13 - Match 27vs.
Mandrake_%28Edguy_album_-_cover_art%29.jpg

Edguy - Mandrake (2001)

How it got here

List entries: Metal Kingdom 88
Previous Rounds:
League 17: Defeated Heavens Gate - Livin’ in Hysteria 12-9.
League 16: Defeated Napalm Death - From Enslavement to Obliteration 9-5.
League 15: Defeated Celtic Frost - Morbid Tales 12-8.
League 14: Defeated Kamelot - Karma 18-3.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Enslaved_%E2%80%93_Vikingligr_Veldi.jpg

Enslaved - Vikingligr Veldi (1994)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Magnus
League 13 - Match 28vs.
The_Headless_Children_%28W.A.S.P._album_-_cover_art%29.jpg

W.A.S.P. - The Headless Children (1989)

How it got here

List entries: Metalstorm 42
Previous Rounds:
League 15: Defeated Savatage - Edge of Thorns 12-10.
League 14: Defeated Warlord - And the Cannons of Destruction Have Begun 15-5.

Very easy round for me.

I’m clearly going to choose my own nominees in the first two matches for reasons already discussed. Winners: Def Leppard and Powerwolf

Hypnotize has pretty much the same pros and cons as Mezmerize did. Kinda cool in parts, but when the carnival inevitably comes to town and Tankian puts on the straitjacket I just can’t deal with it. “Lonely Day” is OK, I guess. Meanwhile, the Edguy album continues to be pretty well executed power metal, which I strongly prefer here. Sorry, @Saapanael . Winner: Edguy

Most of the music on the Enslaved album is cool, but the production is awful, and so are those Gollum-in-a-nursing-home vocals. No sir, don’t like it. I’ll take the W.A.S.P. album in a heartbeat. Sorry, @Magnus . Winner: W.A.S.P.

Oh man, I don't know how I'm going to choose between SOAD and Edguy. I might just give my support to whichever one has fewer votes.

The first pair is tough - I don't like Led Zeppelin at all, but I despise Def Leppard tremendously. I'll go with Led Zeppelin because at least they're not a joke.
The others a comparatively easier - Rainbow, SOAD, and W.A.S.P.

Rainbow, Edguy, W.A.S.P.

In terms of Def Leppard Vs. Zeppelin, I feel like Physical Graffiti is overrated, the first disc is amazing and would have made a phenomenal album, it has higher points there than the majority of High N Dry, however High N Dry has some stellar moments and it shows the band before they go full blown commerical on future releases. I will sit on this match up.

Def Leppard over Zep. Easily!

Dio can lock up his wolves in the Rainbow castle, I´m voting for the very catchy Powerwolf.

S.O.A.D. is too much of everything and way too ecclectic to enjoy a full album. Mandrake is a very good album so Edguy it is.

Enslaved is operating way beyond my musical comfort zone. I´m not the biggest W.A.S.P. fan but this song is the better of the two. Lucky draw for Blackie.

Reactions: Jer
Back