GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

In Flames: Despite the endearing album name, this was surprisingly good. Interesting lyrics and folk song-like melodies made a nice combination. Made me feel safe for some reason. And as the singer's Covid wasn't very bad, this was worth voting.
Gamma Ray has a sound I'm not too keen on.

Negura Bunget had interesting vocals, at some point he sounds like he's casting a spell. This wasn't too bad at all.
Amorphis: The song was quite monotonous.

Nirvana: Ah, youth! Nevermind is one of the very few albums on this Cup so far I have actually listened in full. Nirvana was one of the first bands I started listening to as a teenager, although I gave it up in less than a year (I guess the members in some other bands were sexier or something). People often say Nirvana is overrated, maybe it is but I guess I can understand the appeal. The songs are simpler than let's say Maiden, but it's the attitude and sensitivity that counts. Knowing about Kurt Cobain's problems, the songs feel very touching and capture his struggles. And the melodies and music itself are quite individual.
Black Sabbath: Don't care much for this.

Alter Bridge: This was one of the bands I've been expecting to hear, because it's often mentioned by many people and I've been curious what it's like. I listened to Forever Falling. My impression was mixed. The actual music was beautiful and had a comforting feeling somehow. But I couldn't identify with the lyrics, and didn't feel any emotion in the singer's performance. The whole package was a bit soulless perhaps, superficial, too commercial? Should perhaps listen to more so I would know if my analysis is true.
Savatage: Voted for Alter Bridge, because this is not my thing. When I saw the song was 6 minutes, went and did some chores.

I'm loosening the grudge against Gutter Ballet, I didn't hate it this time (I still don't love the singing style). I feel like it at least has a pointe, while Walk the Sky is just overproduced and uninteresting.

I have another nominee up in the next round of voting. This time it’s Yngwie Malmsteen’s Marching Out, his second solo album overall, but the first one focusing on vocal-driven songs, featuring a very young Jeff Scott Soto (Sons Of Apollo, Talisman) on the mic. I’ve already shared some detailed thoughts on the album in the random album reviews thread if anyone is interested.

It’s up against Blind Guardian’s Tales From The Twilight World, which is pretty good, but I think both the rhythm and lead guitar work on the Yngwie album are consistently better, and the vocal lines are more memorable overall. Most of the Blind Guardian songs are also a bit disjointed, while the Yngwie songs are more coherent.

The sample song I selected for this round was On The Run Again, which has a big rock riff that leaves room for Soto’s vocals to shine, while also having some classic Yngwie guitar pyrotechnics and a nice flow to the song.

It’s hard to go wrong on this album (aside from some bad falsetto singing at the beginning of Don‘t Let It End), but if you want some other recommendations:
I’d say something about the lyrics getting a bit cheesy in places, but the Blind Guardian album has at least one song about being a dwarf on it, so I think they’re on pretty equal footing in that regard...LOL.

The In Flames album was actually pretty good. The music was strong and the vocals are tolerable. I wouldn't be opposed to listening to it again, but I'm still going to have to go with Gamma Ray.

I wasn't a fan of either band in the second match. I'll go with Amorphis because I like the music slightly better.

I'm not the biggest Nirvana fan, but Nevermind is an absolutely iconic album. The Sabbath album was good too, but Nirvana is the clear choice here.

If this was Edge of Thorns, instead of Gutter Ballet, it would be a much more difficult decision. But since it's not, I'm going with Alter Bridge. They're a band who I should probably listen to more of, as I've liked just about everything I've heard from them.

This time it’s Yngwie Malmsteen’s Marching Out

This is a great album. Glad you nominated it. It's my favorite YM album overall, and I think your point about actually writing songs with vocals in mind has something to do with it. What makes this album so great is that you seem to favor the songs I like least, which suggests there is a ton a great material here or at least one of us has terrible taste in music. My favorite is I Am A Viking which is absolutely crushing proto-Amon Amarth, and by its sword Blind Guardian will die.

Reactions: Jer
And Soto, and W.E.T., and touring vocalist for Trans-Siberian Orchestra and Journey, etc., etc.
And Axel Rudi Pell. I found Takara's Eternal Faith in the sales bin 20 years ago.
Although the production isn´t something to write home about, the songs on it are great.

Gamma Ray fails to keep rolling against In Flames, who barely squeak by. Gamma Ray is back in League 6.
Amorphis rolls over Negura Bunget fairly easily, knocking the band out of the GMAC.
Black Sabbath ousts Nirvana, who aren't helped much by teen spirit. In Utero continues to carry the flag for Nirvana, all the same.
Savatage fairly easily beats Alter Bridge. AB is back in League 6.

Back