Ghost

The clergy wished to inform you that some true metal legends such as Kirk Hammett and Phil Anselmo, as well as a couple of professional wrestlers and a few people I don't recognize, liked the song.

For those of you who haven't seen it, here it is:

Another great song even though it's not metal whatsoever. I do like it regardless.

I don't think it's meant to be funny tho.
Anything with Sister Imperator, let alone with her dancing, is obviously meant to be funny. Brigs is right, the video is neither cool nor particularly funny, but it is silly and a fair amount of fun. Just like the "Rats" video, which is patently ridiculous. Love the song, btw.

Ghost, while barely metal at all, might succeed in bringing heavy metal music back into the cultural mainstream for the first time since the early '90s. Potentially a very important band. Rooting for them to fill up the LA Forum and Barclays Center at the end of the year. I like 'em. Tobias Forge is a gifted songwriter and showman.

I saw they changed the title of the video to 'Instagram Music Video' rather than official music video, so maybe there's a proper video coming for it when the album is out?

Anything with Sister Imperator, let alone with her dancing, is obviously meant to be funny. .

That's her? I didn't recognize her.

Brigs is right, the video is neither cool nor particularly funny, but it is silly and a fair amount of fun. Just like the "Rats" video, which is patently ridiculous.

Maybe my English isn't the best, but it sounds to me that you just said that it's not funny or cool, but it's funny and cool. :D

Ghost, while barely metal at all, might succeed in bringing heavy metal music back into the cultural mainstream for the first time since the early '90s. Potentially a very important band. Rooting for them to fill up the LA Forum and Barclays Center at the end of the year. I like 'em. Tobias Forge is a gifted songwriter and showman.

I 100% agree with you.

The Sister Imperator on that looks like they've had a Sister Imperator mask made. That makes sense, if they're going to add her to the show somehow... like they do with Papa Nihil. The Papa Nihil on tour isn't the actor playing him in the videos, it's someone in a mask. Tobias has a thing for these masks. Every day is Halloween ;-)

James has shown since the beginning that he is a huge Ghost fan. He was watching them when they opened for Maiden last year. Also, MALARIA. :lol:

James has shown since the beginning that he is a huge Ghost fan. He was watching them when they opened for Maiden last year. Also, MALARIA. :lol:
This is factually true, he was in the soundbooth in Toronto. He was not very far from me.

Prequelle is out! Some CD shipments came a bit early, and now we can enjoy their new masterpiece. This album is truly amazing. It's a bit softer which might turn some people off, but it is truly beautiful, it has all their hooks that I love so much. Most of the songs have a sad, nostalgic vibe to them, except one or two heavier ones. I was sceptical about two instrumentals, but they also blew me away. Highlights for me so far (among the songs that I did not hear) are Witch image and Pro memoria.

Can't wait to hear it. Tobias has been amazingly successful in whatever he did with advance copies to have them not get uploaded and shared, but I haven't been able to find a legitimate leak yet. Really looking forward to listening tomorrow.

Fantastic album. It think it might edge out Meliora as their best, we'll see how it grows. It's consistent and very well-written. The 80s feel is off the charts, but it does not feel like a cheap nostalgia trip at all. Very nice evolution, you can hear it's a fresh form of the same band. My only complaint is that I feel like it could use one more heavy track at the end, I was kind of waiting for it.

My local CD shop was selling them a day early. I was apparently the first one to purchase it today. I'll report back after I'm finished with it.

Ashes: Generic opener to a ghost album. The ending is pretty cool.
Rats: An amazing song! This will be a Ghost classic for sure! The ending on this one is amazing too.
Faith: Kind of a meh song. It just feels like a standard Ghost song. Nothing really special about it.
See the Light: Absolutely stellar! Everything about this one just works. So melodic, so epic!
Miasma: I wish this one had some lyrics. It has a very epic feel to it. The Sax solo was great.
Dance Macabre: I love it. There's nothing to nitpick about here. Love the chorus!
Pro Memoria: It's pretty mellow. Lots of orchestral stuff. It's classic Ghost for sure! It would work really good live.
Witch Image: This one is pretty mellow too. The chorus is really catchy.
Helvetesfonster: Very atmospheric. I got a lot of Dream Theater vibes. Sounds like it could have came off of Octavarium. The ending sounds like Game of Thrones. Definitely a highlight!
Life Eternal: The previous track is essentially a really long intro to this one. It's very epic and a perfect closer to the album

Overall I'll give it an 8.5/10. I think there could have been another song added between Rats and Faith. Other than that it flows amazingly well! The other Ghost albums have quite a bit of competition for best album. Well Done Ghost!!

Well, not a bad album by any means. However their sound is getting too pop-like commercial for my liking. Pretty strong melodies and music parts though.
Pro Memoria has some of the catchiest melodies and vocal lines I've ever heard. I can't help but cringe with the Lucifer and death relates lyrics. And I also feel like the best songs are the ones we already know from their live shows.

Last edited:
I thoroughly enjoyed this album, but I want to see them get a little crunchier on the next one. If this is the beginning of a pattern, I think it'd get old. If this is kinda as far as they go in the more poppy direction, it could be a really great moment in a fantastic career.

I agree, I listened to the album walking around today. I like it ... but I think they are getting on the border of being too poppy. I think they will continue to have pop elements in their songs, which is cool .. and they make those elements catchy as hell and they have some edge to them (Square Hammer being a great example) . The choruses really get stuck in your head.... but I would like to see the next album swing back a little towards the harder rock side of things .. not a lot, just around Meliora level ... I think that is a pretty optimal place for them

Last edited:
I've been basically listening to Miasma on repeat for the whole day. Such a great track. Both instrumentals are spectacular. Pretty cool that Akerfeldt recorded acoustic guitar for Helvetesfonster.

I enjoy the entire album a lot, but as I've said, I wish there was another heavy track at the end. They hit pretty hard with Faith, but nothing later matches its heaviness, which kind of... leaves me hanging.

Favourite tracks: Rats, Miasma, Helvetesfonster. Least favourite: probably Pro Memoria. It's still good and catchy as hell, but for some reason I feel like skipping it when it comes on.

As is the norm with Ghost stuff, I'm not getting into it quickly, but those instrumentals are nice. Rats was an immediate hit, and Dance Macabre is pretty catchy. Pro Memoria is probably going to be the next one I get into, and Witch Image has a lot of promise.

What's going on with sax solos? Amorphis just had at least one on their new album too.

I can never make my mind up about Ghost's covers. While I like It's a Sin and Avalanche (bonus tracks) neither are spectacularly different to the originals.

Back