Ghost

They're an odd band. I found them mildly amusing but dull to begin with but they've grown on me quite a bit. It's only chance really that I've seen them live (festival and supporting Maiden), but a few of their songs have really stuck.

Fun song, but not as good as Rats. Sounds dangerously light. ;) I hope there's still going to be some heavy stuff on the album. Can't wait for the full thing.

As for the video - after the brilliant Rats clip, this one sucks... Probably meant to be subversive, but it doesn't work IMO.

Yeah, I don't get it. Is it meant to be funny?
The clergy wished to inform you that some true metal legends such as Kirk Hammett and Phil Anselmo, as well as a couple of professional wrestlers and a few people I don't recognize, liked the song.

For those of you who haven't seen it, here it is:

If I didn't know better I'd likely have thought, on a blind listen, this is a song from the late-80s Scorpions vaults.

It's amazing how Ghost has taken an unoriginal classic/hard rock sound and combined it with an overdone Satanic image and made it work for them and got a good following. Opening for Mastodon and Maiden and getting their songs on the radio sure helped though.

The clergy wished to inform you that some true metal legends such as Kirk Hammett and Phil Anselmo, as well as a couple of professional wrestlers and a few people I don't recognize, liked the song.

For those of you who haven't seen it, here it is:
But it's neither cool nor funny.

I think it's cool that Ghost have fans in bands who they respect as role models, and that they like them and support them.

I don't think it's meant to be funny tho.

Even if it's meant to be tongue-in-cheek, when celebs do things like this, it just strikes me as tacky self-promotion. Ghost in turn get the rubber stamp from celebs. Compared to the theatricals Ghost have been doing, it's a bit cheap. If they'd persuaded unsuspecting and easily-offended personalities who didn't know about the satanic stuff to do it, that would have been dynamite.

Back