GAMES DISCUSSION - submissions welcome!

Opeth referendum?

• Total voters
You know, the thing that irks me the most lyrically is that the line "I'll never lie to you and that's a fact" is put to much better use on the very next track on the record - Life Is a Lemon and I Want My Money Back, which is this take-that to your general teenage brooding, nobody-understands-you, everything's sour etc... with the line "everything's a lie and that's a fact". In that song it sounds hilarious and it fits, in two songs in a row it just sounds clumsy.

Oh and

"Somedays I just pray to the God of
Sex and drums and rock and roll"

You couldn't say drugs, could you? Would lose your PG rating or what? Is it like drums are a different thing from rock 'n' roll? Is it sorted by increasing or decreasing importance? Arrrrgh

But guys, I wouldn't open up the debate on whether the message is good or bad, or I'll spiral out of control back into these three pages long posts that nobody reads where I possibly am going to support both sides at once and then Travis arrives, says something like the importance is not important and twelve people will like that post of his and I'm gonna tear out my remaining hair.

"Somedays I just pray to the God of
Sex and drums and rock and roll"

You couldn't say drugs, could you? Would lose your PG rating or what? Is it like drums are a different thing from rock 'n' roll? Is it sorted by increasing or decreasing importance? Arrrrgh
True, but Jim Steinman always twists phrases to his own use. Drugs aren’t part of his game; sex and drums and rock’n’roll are.

True, but Jim Steinman always twists phrases to his own use. Drugs aren’t part of his game; sex and drums and rock’n’roll are.

First of all, I don't believe that's true. He himself admits on his page he was taking psychedelics when he met with Meat Loaf and yes, he denied having that partner who denied using that heroin, but well, I do not really come into a rockstar fandom expecting they're not doing anything...

Second of all, even if he didn't and even if I accepted it was supposed to be just a turn of the phrase, in this particular case it sounds much more like right after they yelled "sex" they suddenly realized Mom was listening, so they sheepishly added "drums and rock 'n' roll"

And this ridiculously long Wikipedia article about the song

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I'd_Do_Anything_for_Love_(But_I_Won't_Do_That)

merely says "The phrase "sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll" was changed to "Some days I just pray to the god of sex and drums and rock and roll" on the recording, although Meat Loaf occasionally sings the original phrase in concert." but it doesn't say by whom or why! Arrrrrrgh again!

Last edited:
That’s fair. I still like the altered line though. Steinman songs usually have huge drum parts. Life Is A Lemon for instance.

Thinking about launching a light-hearted guess the translated lyrics game after GMAC is done. I think I'd run a leaderboard to keep it somewhat like a real game.

Any thoughts or concerns, Games people?

What about a Battle Of Tribute Bands?
Not only Maiden but there are lots of good tribute bands out there...
And to make things abit different not a poll but a rating system about appearance and stage performance: how much do those bands look and sound like The Real Ones.

What about a Battle Of Tribute Bands?
Not only Maiden but there are lots of good tribute bands out there...
And to make things abit different not a poll but a rating system about appearance and stage performance: how much do those bands look and sound like The Real Ones.
Considering the traffic that the current tribute tournament is getting, I'm not sure it would fly.

After the KK’s Priest album drops there should be a sequel song survivor. Direct sequels (e.g. “The Unforgiven II” or “Return Of The Sentinel”) and implied sequels (e.g. “22 Acacia Avenue” or “Hooks In You”) from hard rock and metal bands should all be eligible. Related songs from a concept album shouldn’t qualify unless one song is explicitly a sequel to another by title. Qualification disputes should be resolved by the Forum Games Supreme Court.

GMAC all over again, but this time with a single random song from GMAC albums. Revise the list if you had any revisions in mind after the GMAC started. Tournament of 500+ songs, each one a sole, random selection from a respective GMAC-listed album.

After the KK’s Priest album drops there should be a sequel song survivor. Direct sequels (e.g. “The Unforgiven II” or “Return Of The Sentinel”) and implied sequels (e.g. “22 Acacia Avenue” or “Hooks In You”)...
Here's more: ''Return Of The Warlord'', ''Back In The Village'' (<-> ''The Prisoner'').

Reactions: Jer
I'm starting to prepare the Greatest Metal Song Cup for 2022 and I'm curious what people think:

Same structure (just a glorified knockout tournament)
Or some sort of league/branch/division, perhaps based on metal genres? IE, a Heavy Metal, Thrash Metal, Black Metal, etc etc etc, and maybe the top 8 or 16 or whatever all get dumped into a big league at the end?

I would prefer the same format because I know for fact that I for one would not be interested in checking out the 100% extreme divisions. One of the best things about the way the GMAC was organized was that I got exposed to things I wouldn't normally touch with a pole.

Back