GAMES DISCUSSION - submissions welcome!

Opeth referendum?

• Total voters
I've heard about two songs in total that I can think of. But if it's the n00bvivor, the whole idea is voting on initial reaction. ;)

Yep, me too. No prep allowed.
Even though my brief experience with PT (two albums) is that they are growers more than grabbers.

Yep, me too. No prep allowed.
Even though my brief experience with PT (two albums) is that they are growers more than grabbers.
this is the reason I want to listen to the albums ahead of time. No way can I make a solid decision based on one or two listens and I don't have much time to listen to it before the rounds end.

Do we have enough people for a Devin Townsend Project survivor? His discography is pretty vast but 6 albums wouldn't be too bad. I know @Night Prowler would participate, anyone else? @SixesAlltheway @THESEVENTHMARINER

Anyone interested in trying it as a n00bvivor? The DTP stuff (particularly Addicted) is his most accessible and there's a lot of variety so if you don't like the first album there's still hope for others.

I'd be up for it, obviously :p Although, you should also do his non-DTP solo albums, because Earth Day needs to win! :p

I'd be up for it, obviously :p Although, you should also do his non-DTP solo albums, because Earth Day needs to win! :p
Agreed! If you guys would like to do the whole discography, I'm up for that (minus the ambient albums and Punky Brewster). It'll probably not be until 2016, regardless. Maybe when his next album comes out. We should be getting an official announcement on that anytime now. It already has a title.

If this forum can have a Steven Wilson survivor, I'm convinced a Devin Townsend survivor would be easy. :D

Do we have enough people for a Devin Townsend Project survivor? His discography is pretty vast but 6 albums wouldn't be too bad. I know @Night Prowler would participate, anyone else? @SixesAlltheway @THESEVENTHMARINER

Anyone interested in trying it as a n00bvivor? The DTP stuff (particularly Addicted) is his most accessible and there's a lot of variety so if you don't like the first album there's still hope for others.
Yip, up for that! :ok:

Yeah, I'm up for that. I would also vote for the "whole discography" part, since IIRC, I liked both of the Band albums and "one does not simply forget Ziltoid". I wouldn't mind even the ambient albums, but I realise I'm probably the only one :D By the way - Ghost is considered "ambient" too?
No SYL for me, though.

Savatage n00bvivor is a good idea too, I definitely have to try them out and this would be a good reason.

Also, has there ever been a Queen survivor? That one would be really interesting, IMHO. This is more of a general idea, since I've never hosted anything and I would probably f**k it up, but still...
And Spock's Beard / Neal Morse one would get my support too (including the Worship albums, of course :D )

I like the ambient albums but I feel like that stuff doesn't really work with the survivor format. Ghost is in though, there are enough "actual songs" there for it to work.

We did Queen survivor once and I've had plans to do it again since then but I just haven't gotten around to it. The demand is there though so maybe after Maiden!

Spock's Beard I would totally be into. But the only other Spcok's fan on the forum I am aware of is @SinisterMinisterX . Not sure about the worship albums though :p

Also somewhere along the Dream Theater thread I got the feeling @Black Bart is too, now isn't he?
I like (the little I know of) Spock's Beard a lot but I am nowhere near the status of "fan", for lack of comprehensive knowledge of their discography. As for DT, give me anything from Images and Words to Falling Into Infinity and most of SFAM and 6DOIT. After that, I am much more picky about this band... which died in 2010 as far as I am concerned. ;)

EDIT The survivors I would really enjoy are: Helloween / Gamma Ray, Judas Priest, Deep Purple / Rainbow, Whistenake, AC DC, Metallica, Scorpions, Queen and Queensrÿche for instance.

Last edited:
Let's see:
Would play, not host.
Spock's Beard / Neal Morse
Would play if it had Transatlantic stuff in it, wouldn't host.
Faith No More
Would host & play.
Helloween / Gamma Ray, Judas Priest
Would host & play.
Deep Purple
Would play, not host.
Would play, would host just the albums with Dio in a RJD Survivor with some of his solo albums and Black Sabbath albums he sang on.
Would play & host.
Metallica, Scorpions
Would play, not host.
Queensrÿche
Would play, would host but just first 6 and last 2 albums.

If having Transatlantic stuff in it is enough to get you to play, then I can include it. :p

I think a Neal era Spock's + Transatlantic survivor would be enough:
The Light
Beware of Darkness
Kindness of Strangers
Day For Night
V
Snow
SMPTe
Bridge Across Forever
The Whirlwind
Kaleidoscope

He's got a ton of solo albums, if we included just the prog ones it'd be these:
Testimony
One
?
Sola Scriptura
Lifeline
Testimony 2
Momentum
Grand Experiment

Anything more would be overkill I think.

Dream Theater survivor will coincide with the release of The Astonishing. I'm not sure if SMX still wants to host that or not, but if he doesn't I will.

Spock's Beard I would totally be into. But the only other Spcok's fan on the forum I am aware of is @SinisterMinisterX . Not sure about the worship albums though :p

I think SB would not make a very good survivor beyond the first few albums. Snow is a strange album, and I can't choose which of the seventeen parts of "A Guy Named Sid" is my favorite. (Probably the one where they sing "this is the story of a guy named Sid" for the 103rd time.)

Seriously, though: the songs are often very long, and I think few people who don't already know prog would have the patience for it. Adding TA only magnifies the problem... how many on this forum have the patience for "All of the Above"? I barely do myself sometimes.

The music is great, though. I've only heard 3 of those solo Morse albums and they were all amazing.

One last edit, since I finally read everything Mosh wrote... SB thru Snow + TA is a workable idea, but adding the solo Morse is overkill.

Last edited:
Back