GAMES DISCUSSION - submissions welcome!

Opeth referendum?

• Total voters
I agree. I wouldn't go for the albums beyond Snow, even though I quite like a couple of them.

BTW, I'd also play these: Helloween, Gamma Ray, Judas Priest, Rainbow/Dio, Queensryche, Metallica, Deep Purple, Queen, and possibly Scorpions.

QUEENSRYCHE Would play, would host but just first 6 and last 2 albums.
Historically speaking, I think Hear In the Now Frontier, Q2K and Tribe should also be included, that is: up to when the band was managed by an "independent" manager. That is only after the 2003 tour with Dream Theater that Lars Sorensen was replaced by Susan Tate, which meant QR being transformed into Geoff Tate's solo vehicle. I totally agree with leaving out O:M2, American Soldier and Dedicated to Chaos.

I will gladly participate in every survivor if you'll be willing to pardon my shallow knowledge etc. of the bands that will be new to me. ;)

Zappa would be fun... though it would probably take us a better part of the decade :D

If there was a Zappa survivor, we'd have to pick one era and just do that. Like a Mothers survivor or a 74 band survivor.

What about a Alice Cooper survivor (even if there are a few obscure albums)?

BTW, I'd also play these: Helloween, Gamma Ray, Judas Priest, Rainbow/Dio, Queensryche, Metallica, Deep Purple, Queen, and possibly Scorpions.

Why "possibly"?

EDIT: has a Bruce Dickinson survivor been done yet?

Last edited:
I don't know their whole catalog that well. My participation would depend on how much time I have to listen to it and whether or not I actually like it.

If there was a Zappa survivor

...then I would be in charge of that. :smartarse:

A Zappa survivor would not be 100 albums, as I'd only be using one version of each song. I'd also omit all his weird sketches and orchestral stuff (though not rock/jazz instrumentals). Right away, that eliminates most of his posthumous albums. I'm gonna take a count of how many actual Zappa songs there are...

...then I would be in charge of that. :smartarse:

A Zappa survivor would not be 100 albums, as I'd only be using one version of each song. I'd also omit all his weird sketches and orchestral stuff (though not rock/jazz instrumentals). Right away, that eliminates most of his posthumous albums. I'm gonna take a count of how many actual Zappa songs there are...
Do you have most of Zappa's albums, SMX?

I think it'd be a better idea to just do his 70s albums + Hot Rats or something similar. Most of his classics are there and it's a good amount of material for survivors.

I don't think you could omit the sixties albums - many would argue that most of his classics are there. And there is plenty of worthwhile material later on as well. I think we could try a discussion thread instead, maybe with a rough divisions into eras - original Mothers, Flo & Eddie, Roxy band and so on.

Agree with Shadow and like I said above an album discussion thread would be way more interesting than a survivor when it comes to Zappa. There's bound to be some new listeners too and it would be fun to hear their take on the albums.

Back