GAMES DISCUSSION - submissions welcome!

Opeth referendum?

• Total voters
OK, I'm nearing the end of the 2 Survivors I'm hosting. Who's interested in voting in Helloween Survivor (hosted by me and UO)?

I might vote in the first few Helloween albums but after that I'm not sure.

Helloween - The Deris Years by Night Prowler (started on N/A, ended on N/A)
Helloween - The Hansen & Kiske Years by Unknown One (started on N/A, ended on N/A)
Helloween by Unknown One (started on N/A, ended on N/A)
Eh... I'd say either do these split survivors or a whole - not both. I'd vote in the first few albums too, probably not in any others.

OK. Unfortunately, Helloween Survivors won't happen because of lack of interest.

How about Alice In Chains? Also, is there still interest for The Big 4 Survivor?

I'd rather have individual survivors for Big 4 bands. Unless you combine them and make them even, say, 4 or 5 of the band's most classic albums. i.e. no Death Magnetic or World Painted Blood.

Yeah, I didn't mean to put all of their albums of course. Newer albums are neglected in Top 10's so there's no point.

It would be:
Megadeth - all albums up to and including Cryptic Writings (including Hidden Treasures and B-sides)
Slayer - all albums up to and including Seasons In The Abyss (including Haunting The Chapel)
Metallica - Kill 'Em All, Ride The Lightning, Master Of Puppets, ...And Justice For All, Metallica
Anthrax - all albums (including B-sides) released before Belladona left in 1992, so no Bush

That'd be good except I don't see the need for Cryptic Writings. Youthanasia would even be pushing it a bit. Maybe Peace Sells up to Countdown To Extinction, no b-sides or hidden treasures. Slayer and Metallica sounds good. Wouldn't make sense to include Anthrax's first album, it was virtually entirely eliminated in just a few rounds when we did Anthrax. If you absolutely have to include B-sides, Attack Of The Killer B's has everything you need, including I'm The Man. I think after that none of the EP's are necessary. I think that works good because every band has 4 or 5 albums, except Slayer with 6, maybe take Show No Mercy out.

I'm undecided about Cryptic Writings, mostly because I love some of the songs on it. Youthanasia had a song in Top 10, so it's certainly in. I'm not familiar with Anthrax, I forgot about the first album. It'll be just stuff with Belladona. Not all bands have to have the same amount of albums - 1-2 albums more here and there won't make a big difference in the end I think.

It won't but the difference shouldn't be too great I think. A Tout La Mode is the reason I'm on the fence about Youthanasia, I'm still against Cryptic Writings though. It's not bad but shouldn't be considered Classic Big 4 by any means.

Since you're not familiar with Anthrax, I reckon doing it this way: first 4 albums with Belladona + Killer B's. Time and State Of Euphoria didn't even do so well in Anthrax survivor btw, so don't expect a lot of those songs to hang around long.

OK. How about this:

Megadeth - Killing Is My Business, Peace Sells, So Far, Rust, Countdown, Youthanasia = 6
Slayer - Show, Haunting, Hell Awaits, Reign, South, Seasons = 6
Metallica - 5
Anthrax - what you said

I think it's fair like this, because Metallica is the most popular of these 4 and despite having less albums in the game, it will probably have most songs in Top 10.

Yea that looks better. Also, the thing about Metallica is that it's pretty much universally decided which albums are the classic ones, only one controversial record in the bunch. Not much of a choice there. Anthrax is the same way.

Of course others should give their input.

Anyone interested in a Blaze survivor? Could be either just his solo career (which I'd be expecting to get more voters than the other option for Blaze) or all his works, so Wolfsbane (4 albums I think), Maiden and his solo works.

I'll start Dream Theater the day the new album comes out. That's September 26th, if I remember right. Maiden B-Sides will also be included in the Iron Maiden survivor.

This might be complicating things, but how about a survivor for each of the Big 4 (unless one was done very recently), then do a final survivor with the top X songs from each ... My thought would be 10, but could see top 15 working too.

If it were 10 songs each, the rounds could be the #10s against one another, then 9s, and so on

Fine with me, as long as we still do just the most essential albums. I just don't see the point in revisiting, for example, 00's Megadeth albums that will be swiftly annihilated, or newer Slayer albums, or post-Black Album Metallica. I like those albums, but they just don't stand a chance.

Back