Game Of Thrones

Objectively, they are all villains.

Except the Starks, who have been painted as heroes since day one. The showrunners are doing a piss poor job of conveying a lot of this material and the writing has dramatically worsened, but anyone surprised by these characters being the characters they have always been is asking for the Hollywood ending that they claim to hate.

Except the Starks, who have been painted as heroes since day one. The showrunners are doing a piss poor job of conveying a lot of this material and the writing has dramatically worsened, but anyone surprised by these characters being the characters they have always been is asking for the Hollywood ending that they claim to hate.
Exactly, I can't think of anything remotely evil that Jon Snow has done. Maybe hanging Olly? That was justified though.

Jon Snow and Ned Stark (and Brienne) were less villains than examples of the follies and bad consequences tied to the romantic characterization of honour and heroism.

And if you want to get technical, Jon betrayed the Night’s Watch and the vows he swore when he joined and Ned’s actions pretty much led to the destruction of his house, the rule of his king, and many of the people he was sworn to protect.

Arya became a psychopathic assassin bent on revenge, Sansa a facsimile of the villains who were manipulating her and Bran a cold-blooded, inhuman manipulator.

Probably killing Janos Slynt for disobeying a command/being a coward? All the other ones were completely justified.

That’s kind of my point, everyone’s actions are justified once you get in their head. Doesn’t change the fact that Tyrion murdered his dad and his lover in cold blood.

Come on, murder, incest, fratricide, crucifiction, child defenestration - the most decent person in the story is a smuggler insanely loyal to a man capable of murdering his own daughter.
Stannis was a good person, yes he burned his own daughter, but only because he thought it was his duty to do so. He was a man of duty, and even before his death, he wasn't even hateful to the person that was just about to finish him, he just said "Go on, do your duty".

Stannis was a good person, yes he burned his own daughter, but only because he thought it was his duty to do so. He was a man of duty, and even before his death, he wasn't even hateful to the person that was just about to finish him, he just said "Go on, do your duty".

No, Stannis thought he was a good person. Big difference.

That is called heavy-handed symbolism, sir.
But will the last episode be entitled "Game of What Now?"

Semantically speaking, it makes sense that "King's Landing" has been destroyed by a woman, self-proclaimed "queen" to boot.
As far as geopolitics is concerned, I wonder what the official seat of power (or government of Westeros) is now.

Besides, the people who have called their daughter "Daenerys" or "Khaleesi" based on the first seven seasons must be feeling like those who have called their son "Adolf" based on Hitler's early career as a painter.

Last edited:
Exactly, I can't think of anything remotely evil that Jon Snow has done. Maybe hanging Olly? That was justified though.
Not that I mind personally since I'm up to date in the TV series, but what isn't that spoiling the people who have just started watching GOT? ;)

The only 100% truly innocent characters on Game Of Thrones:

- Shireen Baratheon, long may she kindheartedly teach people to read.
- Maestor Aemon, who shall forever be stuck in our minds talking about eggs.
- Gilly, who I have nothing clever to say about.
- Ghost, just a damn good boi who deserved a treat.

Regarding the Stannis discussion, his arc took a downfall towards the end and his development wasn't quite as subtle as it's in the books (interesting to see where GRRM takes him - in the show Jon kind of takes over his Quest for the North) but to be fair, he's pretty much the only one who a) wants (or in this case, feels obligated) to be a ruler and b) actually (seemingly, at least) knows what it takes.

I have a soft spot for him. I think Stephen Dillane does great job in the role and while I don't mind most changes and deviations from the books they took during the past seasons, I think they should have been a bit more subtle with Stannis in particular. But I can also see that they needed to take his story to an end to give some space for Jon's arc.

About the most recent episode:

It was pretty good on season 7/8 standards. It looked beuatiful, there was some great acting around and while DANY JUST FLIES AROUND AND BLOWS THE SHIT UP took quite a portion of the episode, I think it was pretty consistent. Still,it didn't quite manage to avoid stepping into the most common pitfalls of the most recent episodes/seasons; most of the turns the story took are good, but how they came into play didn't always feel natural. Maybe it's just that the story didn't have enough time to develop into these recent outcomes and that's why some of these outcomes and events that lead up to them feel rushed or underwhelming (storytelling-wise). Anyway, I genuinely enjoyed the episode, but overall, this season, along with certain Season 7 moments, hasn't been... quite there. Then again, it doesn't mean it's garbage either.

Pretty cool!

Scott Ian is Season 1: providing that backdrop.
Ramin's solo is Seasons 2-4: layered with complexities and flourishes we might not even understand.
Tom Morello's solo is Season 5: hitting the broad strokes, but also a little wacky.
Nuno's solo is Season 6: flashy and crazy, trying a little too hard, but ultimately sticks the landing.
Brad's solo is Season 7: technique is on point, but maybe he's just jamming in the wrong genre.
Dan's solo is Season 8: the notes are there, but the transitions are sloppy and it's ultimately unsatisfying.

I'm watching season 8 again and at first, I hadn't noticed what was happening in the background at this moment of episode 3. :D
(at 1'04)

Last edited:
The word I am seeing most often in reviews is "disappointing".

The word I am seeing most often on social media is "disaster".

I trust the opinions of the people here. May I have your thoughts?

Back