Game Of Thrones

I disagree on the weather point, @Onhell. Those people exist, I have to hear them complain constantly at the opposite time of year.

This is true. I LOVED the heat in Arizona after my first summer. But It never ceased to amaze me that many of the locals, whether my age or older constantly complained about the heat. I kept thinking, you've lived here your whole life, you should be used to this, but they weren't. It was the majority to. Obviously I didn't conduct an official survey and I doubt the many people I met during my time there speak for ALL the Southwest, but still, it was an alarming number to me. On the other hand, I have met many people who love the cold.

I'm pretty happy with the finale, considering that my expectations weren't too high to begin with.

Not sure if these are actual spoilers, but yeah, let's play safe:
Overall, the final season was full of amazing cinematography but often poor or inconsistent writing, battle choreography and all that. There were few great moments in every episode though and while the plot points themselves weren't bad, they severely suffered from pure lack of time and proper grounding. One of the biggest issues, however, was the lack of dynamics. The story took some huge leaps and turns over the course of 7th and 8th season, but seldom did things feel earned or natural. The conclusion of the story was satisfying enough and I genuinely liked the last two episodes - even with their big problems - for the way they delivered the essence of war was pretty evoking and they closed the story more or less appropriately. The journey to that point just wasn't quite... there. I enjoyed the last seasons, but it's sad how the show couldn't quite carry itself to the very end. Two full-fledged seasons might have been able to do the trick, but yeah, I get that they needed to end it. I think the ending GRRM has in mind is pretty close to what we got, but I expect the journey to that end to be drastically different.

Apparently, when the series overtook the books GRRM gave them three "shock" moments from the upcoming books to use in the series. First two were Shireen being burned by the Red Woman and "Hold the Door". So, assuming we haven't seen it already (if so, I missed it) there's still one streak of brilliance left in this series.

So the third moment must be...

Dany's descent into madness. Hopefully GRRM handles it better than the series did. The Night King isn't even in the books so Arya killing him can't be it, though it does make me wonder how the Army of the Dead is going to be defeated if they can't just kill the NK and take his army with him.

Mike Portnoy's thoughts on the end of GOT (from his Facebook page):
MP on GOT Finale
SPOILER ALERT!!!!!

I wasn’t gonna comment on the GOT finale as I thought my appreciation post yesterday before the show aired said everything I could want to say....but all the online hoopla and complaining has me so perplexed I felt the need to say something.

I understand NO MATTER WHAT they did, they could never have possibly satisfied EVERYONE...that’s impossible as this is one of the most beloved TV shows of all time, so with so many devoted fans, there’s absolutely no way they could’ve satisfied everybody’s expectations.
(It was the same with the finales for The Sopranos, Lost or any Star Wars film for that matter)
But seeing the User Reviews of this episode on IMDB is sickening and so incredibly disrespectful...it’s almost as if they all made a pact to all unanimously and blindly give it a “1” rating to drive the episode’s rating down before it even aired! And the “reviews” are ridiculous!! Like a bunch of spoiled children not getting what they wanted for Christmas...wah wah wah
OK, maybe the ending wasn’t to your personal liking....but IT’S NOT *YOUR* SHOW!!!!
And yes, of course everybody is entitled to their own opinion (just as I am here by writing this) but in this age of the Internet, EVERYBODY is not only a “critic” but also now think they have ownership over the creative process over their favorite shows, movies and yes, even music (I know first hand, DT fans are the most devoted in the world but can also be the most fiercely and brutally critical as well)
Was Season 8 my favorite? No...
I admit it had its flaws...
Yes, the rise and fall of Dany as the Mad Queen was way too fast...
Yes, the fate of Cercei and Jaime Lannister was a bit anti climactic...
but they had only 6 episodes to wrap up the stories they spent 7 seasons building...given the circumstances, I think “most” of the General decisions were as best as they could possibly be...
And there’s no denying the *quality* of the show never diminished.
Every episode was masterful epic filmmaking.
Which is why all of these IMDB User Ratings of the final episode is soooo unfair.
I watched it twice last night. The first time I was in anticipation of every plot twist and the outcome of every character. Some twists weren’t to my satisfaction (Bran taking the throne for 6 of the kingdoms after being so sparce for so many seasons) And some twists I thought were actually justified (Jon and Dany’s ending I thought was really the only way it could’ve played out given last week’s episode)
But on the second viewing, I was able to just enjoy the ride...there were some absolutely incredible images. ICONIC images that will be remembered 10 years from now after all the hoopla of everyone’s expectations has died down. (Kind of like Tyrion’s response about asking him again in 10 years if he did the right thing...that was almost like the writers challenging the viewers!)
And after episode 5 which was so grim, dark, evil & tragic...I think it was the right thing to have the finale ultimately have a “happy ending” to ride off into the sunset with. The only major character death being the “villain” from the previous episode.
But whether or not you “agree” with the way it ended, to shower IMDB with thousands of “1”s to send some sort of stupid, ungrateful message to HBO and the show’s writers is simply ungrateful, selfish and completely disrespectful. (A show and episode of that magnitude and beauty shouldn’t have earned anything less than a “7” even if you HATED it)
To me the beauty of this show (and most great shows and films) is in the journey, not necessarily the destination....
So once again, as I did yesterday, I’d like to **THANK** HBO and all of the actors, directors and YES even the writers, for this incredible journey....
MP

Mike Portnoy is sensitive of critiques of artists. I think he has been triggered.

200w.webp

I will watch it next Sunday. I only have data on my
phone sometimes I looked up the plot because I don’t want to wait. I’m pleased with the ending.

Started watching the final season last night; whole thing is already available to purchase on Amazon, which was kinda surprising.

Watched episode one & two. Dialogue was a bit pants.

Last edited:
I agree with Portnoy too. I've been arguing with people this week about this - they hate the ending but they don't know what they would have liked to see. Well, screw you. Write a better story and make it as successful as GoT. I'm not saying the season was perfect, of course, but all of a sudden everyone is a professional cinematographer and a film critic.

But It never ceased to amaze me that many of the locals, whether my age or older constantly complained about the heat. I kept thinking, you've lived here your whole life, you should be used to this, but they weren't.
This is a bit of a shallow point of view. There are not many other topics of conversation that are as safe as the weather. Complaining/talking about the weather plays the role of an ice breaker and serves as a means to bond.

4 more episodes to connect all the loose strings would have made much more sense instead of rushing everthing and leaving important storylines in the dust.

Well this season and ending feels like the end of my favorite Tv Show "Lost". Amazing , until they decided to fuck it all up in a matter of 1 season

That being said, Jon going back the NW (even if unnecessary) was going full circle where it all started, i liked that a lot

I finally watched the last episode the other day. I didn't think it was bad, all in all it was one of the weaker seasons but I was happy with the finished product.

I'm re-watching the whole series now.

I'm thinking about re-reading through the books again. I've only read through them one time, and I finished them a year after A Dance With Dragons was released ... soo that was in 2012. Damn. I haven't read any of the Dunk and Egg prequel novellas, or any of the other ancillary books, (The World of Ice & Fire, Fire & Blood, etc.) So I think this might be a good time to fully dive back in.

I mean, it can't be that much longer until The Winds of Winter is released, can it? :S

I read somewhere that it should be completed "in the winter", whatever that means. Including editing, printing and so on, I'm thinking it should be out in the second half of 2020.

For those who have bought the integral boxset, are the bonus contents worth it (or are they the same as on the individual season boxsets)?

I guess they haven't included this, unfortunately

Last edited:
Back