Game Of Thrones

I just did not see that coming at all, but looking back it makes sense. It's definitely shocking.

Daenerys is the new villain for the finale. I think once the destruction started Jon completely flipped. He realized that even though he doesn't want to be king, that he now has to be, and that she has to die at all costs. Jon or Arya will kill her, either one would make sense however I think there may have been a bit of foreshadowing with Arya on the pale horse.

Cersei's death was not satisfying at all but it is what it is. It's just a shame Jaime had to die with her.

However, the episode was great. It's just classic GOT. There's a lot of backlash for this episode. (I think it's just the parents who named their daughters Daenerys)

I have to be honest, the carnage in this episode reminded me why I'd stopped watching GoT some time in season 5. On the plus side, no titties this time.

I was very sorry for the Hound. He and Jaime were the only characters that had any positive development in the series. Oh, and Sansa, of course.

Well, it was a pretty good episode. I saw some reviews on YouTube this morning (just the thumbnails, mind. I didn't watch any) suggesting that it wasn't going to be very good. Couple that with the reactions of those who have read the leaks and I was quite apprehensive. Thankfully, that seemed misplaced.

Mostly.

Still rooting for Daenerys. Think of all the shit she's been through. She brought her army and her dragons to the North to help defeat the Night King, lost a dragon, Ser Jorah and thousands (Or was it? How were there so many Unsullied and Dothraki in this episode?) of men in the ensuing war and receives no gratitude from the Northerners she fought alongside. Then the next day she loses another dragon and Missandei is brutally executed in front of her. No wonder she lost her shit.

Side note: Emilia Clarke's acting is off the flippin' scale this episode. She shows so much with her facial expressions in that moment where she flips.

I really liked the episode, the foreshadowing of Dany going batshit crazy has paid off. Varys dying was the hardest of the main character deaths for me since he died doing what he said he was going to do, making sure the realm has the best ruler possible. It was good to have more of him last episoide. Dany burning Kings Landing to the ground just shows how far she has fallen from what she set out to become. I liked how Cersei had no evil plan except to fight back against Dany and it showed her humanity a little in the end, Jaime's death however sucks cause it was done in a way that I feel undersold his character development but overall he is much better than he began as. Cleganebowl was great.

Well, it was a pretty good episode. I saw some reviews on YouTube this morning (just the thumbnails, mind. I didn't watch any) suggesting that it wasn't going to be very good. Couple that with the reactions of those who have read the leaks and I was quite apprehensive. Thankfully, that seemed misplaced.

Mostly.

Still rooting for Daenerys. Think of all the shit she's been through. She brought her army and her dragons to the North to help defeat the Night King, lost a dragon, Ser Jorah and thousands (Or was it? How were there so many Unsullied and Dothraki in this episode?) of men in the ensuing war and receives no gratitude from the Northerners she fought alongside. Then the next day she loses another dragon and Missandei is brutally executed in front of her. No wonder she lost her shit.

Side note: Emilia Clarke's acting is off the flippin' scale this episode. She shows so much with her facial expressions in that moment where she flips.

I don’t think that Daenerys losing two of her friends and being betrayed excuses the fact she was doing strafing was runs on hordes of innocent women and children with her dragon killing an untold amount.

She hasn't exactly had an easy life, though, has she? I mean, sometimes people snap. Not excusing the lady's actions, I'm just saying that good villain design generally has understandable impetuses that move the character to otherwise unconscionable actions.

I don’t think that Daenerys losing two of her friends and being betrayed excuses the fact she was doing strafing was runs on hordes of innocent women and children with her dragon killing an untold amount.

Maybe, but I'm still not buying that she's supposed to be the villain now.

She hasn't exactly had an easy life, though, has she? I mean, sometimes people snap. Not excusing the lady's actions, I'm just saying that good villain design generally has understandable impetuses that move the character to otherwise unconscionable actions.

Like Anakin and the younglings.

Like Anakin and the younglings.

I'm coming from a place of having not seen the episode of GoT. I don't know if it's a valid comparison or not. But the reason why people rejected Anakin's mass-murder was because the turn was ridiculous. Anakin had no reason to suddenly turn heel so hard, whereas Daenerys has a plethora of reasons that have built up over 8 seasons.

Maybe, but I'm still not buying that she's supposed to be the villain now.

I'm a bit baffled by this school of thought. I had been under the impression that Dany was always a villain. She was an outsider who only ever had the goal of claiming power, no matter what the cost. She has shown a disregard for human life that was perhaps second only to Joffrey and Ramsay Bolton. Her grand strategy was to utilise the more downtrodden populations of Essos to become her allies, and that's why she put on the persona of a benevolent dictator or breaker of chains as she put it. But the truth is that she wiped out political and cultural traditions that had existed for many generations without batting an eye or considering the consequences for the people who didn't happen to be slaves. She demanded ultimate and unquestioning submission and loyalty to her person. Her compassion was always selective, and therefore ingenuine. It was always clear to me that her style of leadership would not fit to Westeros, that she would not be welcomed and face resistance, and that she would take none of this lightly. If it hadn't been for the combined efforts of Jorah, Missandei, Varys and Tyrion to hold her back, she would have leveled many towns and armies the way she eventually did, because she has repeatedly expressed her intent to do so. So, even without the many personal blows she's been dealt, I really don't get how people say that this came out of nowhere. It was absolutely set up throughout the series. Dany was evil.

From my point of view, it seemed to me that she was portrayed in the earlier seasons as the hero of Essos. But there were signs early on of her eventual downfall into madness. For example, the crucifixions in Mereen. I do agree with the point that was brought up of her advisers holding her back.

As for this coming out of nowhere? The scene was set up perfectly. The city became quiet and the fighting ceased, then the bells started ringing. That was a happy moment. But then it just completely flipped!

Upon reflection, this episode just really holds up! It's one of the best of the series.

#TeamStark

So I might have overestimated Dany's skills as a subtle strategist...
And Tyrion has lost his drinking buddy :(

More seriously, I'm looking forward to seeing a possible change in Arya, that is: not being driven by the desire to destroy any more but now by the desire to build.

By the way, I notice there is no more Iron Throne to sit upon, that must do something...

Last edited:
I never liked Danny, from the start she showed signs of her evil nature ( stealing the unsullied, stealing gold from that mercenary company). The most annoying thing about her is that she always thought that she is better than the others and has the right to rule them, she killed anyone who didn't bend the knee, yet she is somehow convinced that she is a good ruler (or good person). I don't understand why people used to see her as the hero of GOT.

It is done better by Martin’s writing in the books, but Game of Thrones is masterful at making a completely despicable or foolish cast of characters the heroes of their own stories.

Come on, murder, incest, fratricide, crucifiction, child defenestration - the most decent person in the story is a smuggler insanely loyal to a man capable of murdering his own daughter.

Objectively, they are all villains.

Yet we find ourselves rooting for these people.

Back