Forostar's Top 50 Iron Maiden songs

Re: Forostar's Top 50 Iron Maiden songs

Vap said:
The BOH and other live versions are definitely better than the studio version, but not top ten.

You're right. But indeed it rock the crap out when played live!

Its a cool song, but would be around #100 for me. I find it to be overrated on this forum.

Unlike you guys, I'd rate 22 Acacia Avenue even higher. Top 30 song for me.

mckindog said:
And to catch up, add me to the Phantom fan boy list. 9th.

I must be president of the Phantom fan club. I can say with some confidence that it is my favourite Maiden song.

Anyways, I listened to NotB for the first time in a while today, and the three song run of Children of the Damned, The Prisoner and 22 Acacia Avenue was the best 17 minutes or so I've had in quite some time. I don't think I'd have 22 Acacia Avenue has high as Foro though.

Robbiedbee said:
I must be president of the Phantom fan club. I can say with some confidence that it is my favourite Maiden song.

It's my favorite song of all time. So I win, but you can be a co-president. ;)

SinisterMinisterX said:
Indeed. We know Foro's #1; we've known for years. But watching this lower range of the list is interesting.

Nice to know SMX. I hope to keep it interesting for a while.

No. 35 - Judgement of Heaven
(Harris, 1995 -> on stage-status: never played)

This song starts a bit awkward and when it gets heavy I'm still not that over the moon by it, but as soon as Blaze sings
...If you could live your life again.. it gets really good. Catchy verse, nice chorus and right after Dave's speedy solo we get the best part: a super guitar melody!

It really shines without an accompanying rhythm guitar. The only other thing we hear is the fairly simple drums with the pumping bass. But it works perfectly!

Soon it turns into a harmony, and another great melody returns, which Blaze joins.

All in all, this is the one but best Maiden w/Blaze album song which was never played live.

Hm, probably my 2nd or 3rd least favorite from TXF (after The Unbeliever & (sometimes) 2 A.M.). It's decent, but nothing special. The chorus is kinda catchy. Should have been lower, IMO.

Interesting choice.
The first time I heard X Factor, this was the only song I liked.
Now I see it as a good, generally underrated track in that huge mob between 60 and 100. Came in at 93.
Agree the middle instrumental break is special.

No. 34 - Fates Warning
(Murray/Harris, 1990 -> on stage-status: never played)

Coincidentally the three never played No Prayer songs are for me the best ones of the album. This is one of them.
Steve is really playing so many nice bass patterns, enriched with short and fast high notes. I can't get enough of his vital contribution. It's almost as he did twice his best to come up with something good, maybe the change in the line-up stimulated him extra? Don't get me wrong, I love his bass playing on the previous albums as well, but this heavy stimulating playing is really carrying the songs to a higher level.

The solo parts are nice (also the rhythm parts underneath) but the harmony is even better.

Another 90's number --a decade certainly not being overlooked by you Forostar! And, another track co-written by Murray; interesting. This is, literally, the only Top 50 in town!  :D

I always liked the lyrics on Fates Warning. I was just in the pub with my brother and we were just saying that a lot of No Prayer... is underrated.

The 90s tracks making their way into this list are certainly unique. I always thought Fates Warning was one of the few redeeming songs on No Prayer, though I doubt it would make my top 50.

Fates Warning would be way lower for me, but I do love Judgement of Heaven!

Jupz said:
Fates Warning would be way lower for me, but I do love Judgement of Heaven!

Good to see another Judgement of Heaven fan out there!

CriedWhenBrucieLeft said:
Another 90's number --a decade certainly not being overlooked by you Forostar!

Absolutely not indeed. A great decade for Maiden.

And, another track co-written by Murray; interesting. This is, literally, the only Top 50 in town!  :D

Viperlord said:
The 90s tracks making their way into this list are certainly unique. I always thought Fates Warning was one of the few redeeming songs on No Prayer, though I doubt it would make my top 50.

Cheers guys for the appreciation of my picks.  :ok:  (until now that is.  :D  ;) )

Robbiedbee said:
I always liked the lyrics on Fates Warning. I was just in the pub with my brother and we were just saying that a lot of No Prayer... is underrated.

It is indeed. With my song reviews I hope to describe its qualities as well as I can.

Now it's time to grab some rotten fruit again:

No. 33 - Isle of Avalon
(Murray/Harris, 2010 -> on stage-status: never played)

The most Rushiest song Maiden ever did (the rhythm preceding and during H's solo, and the solo itself as well, even).

That intro is so spellbinding, and an excellent display of what this band can do with three guitars. Great mix, really an awesome soundscape in which you can get lost with headphones. The bass playing, the use of atmospherical sounds, and the general feel remind me of the beginning of Samson's Walking Out On You from Head On (1980), a great album on which Bruce was the singer, and on which Steve co-wrote the basis for The Ides of March.

I sometimes dream this will be in Maiden's set.... what a moment that would be. Can you imagine the rush of blood through the veins when that intro kicks in?

Great song indeed.

Just out of interest Forostar, are you finding it difficult to place TFF tracks?  I think a few will want this higher, but it's hard only a year out from its release to place --hard compared to albums & tracks you've listened to many, many times. Or at least, I think so.

Great song indeed.

Just out of interest Forostar, are you finding it difficult to place TFF tracks?  I think a few will want this higher, but it's hard only a year out from its release to place --hard compared to albums & tracks you've listened to many, many times. Or at least, I think so.

Agreed on both counts. It's impossible to seperate nostalgia etc related feelings from just general song composition - especially as some tracks are catchy on their own, others have more depth and require a thorough listen, and there are some tracks that you get fed up of hearing which skews your opinion of them. It's why I've never really tried to rank things, and why I certainly won't be bashing anyones lists anytime soon... cos I really would struggle to rank them myself!

Interesting list so far, I've flicked through a few I've seen while browsing past few weeks and it's great to see diversity, shows what solid a band they are when people can enjoy competely different things - far cry from one hit wonders and such ;) Looking forward to seeing how the rest of this will unfold :)

Well, Foro, you certainly put your money (these rankings) where your mouth (your frequently spirited defence of No Prayer) is.  ;)
I see Fates, like Enema — a mostly nondescript track by Maiden standards. It's got a nice intro and a tasty solo section. For me it comes in at 112.

Avalon finishes at 41, one of our more similarly ranked songs.
I like it for all the reasons you describe.
I think this one is more likely to climb my rankings before it drops.

Interesting choices. "Judgement of Heaven" and "Fates Warning" are both personal favourites of mine that I think are much too overlooked.

No. 33 - Isle of Avalon
(Murray/Harris, 2010 -> on stage-status: never played)

Blasphemy!

TTF, AMOLAD, DOD and SIT songs still all have time to dominate the list so all is good...nice respect to No Prayer For The Dying though. I used to run through forests at night to NPFTD. Enema was a highlight as was....Hooks in You.

Back