Forostar's Top 50 Iron Maiden songs

Re: Forostar's Top 50 Iron Maiden songs

Very good and interesting choice indeed in Purgatory! That is definitely one hell of an energetic track.

The acknowledgement of Martin Birch is great. I've always thought about the way Davey let the last notes of his solo in TROBB ring out when he plays it live...the band obviously like that so Steve/Kevin made an error in not including the echo in the studio version.

The Mid-Distance Runner said:
That is an amazing review of Purgatory.  Best review yet of anyone's top fifty lists. Spot on. Thanks man.

Cheers Mid!  :)

Viperlord said:
Very good and interesting choice indeed in Purgatory! That is definitely one hell of an energetic track.

Hell yes!  :ok:

The Mid-Distance Runner said:
The acknowledgement of Martin Birch is great. I've always thought about the way Davey let the last notes of his solo in TROBB ring out when he plays it live...the band obviously like that so Steve/Kevin made an error in not including the echo in the studio version.

Agreed. We can not be 100% sure if Dave/Iron Maiden/Kevin thought of the echo when/after the solo was recorded in the studio, but live Dave certainly has more freedom on stage indeed.

Phantom should be a bit higher and Purgatory should be lower  :ok:

Nope, Phantom is a sure Top 10 song for me, 6th in my book.

Me too. It's remained a constant in an otherwise rotating top 5 for about 30 years... from the first time I heard it. Instant adrenaline...

It's my favourite Paul song, it's around 20 for me.

It's hard for me to be shocked by any of these. I've been hanging out here for a long time, and I'm getting a pretty good idea of Foro's tastes.

It's like if Perun puts up a list. We've talked Maiden songs so long...I mean, seriously - when Dityn DJ James was 6, Perun, Foro, SMX, Onhell and I were first starting to be friends.

Well Black Thunder, I am sure Phantom is very popular and I went nuts as well when I saw it live.

LooseCannon said:
It's hard for me to be shocked by any of these. I've been hanging out here for a long time, and I'm getting a pretty good idea of Foro's tastes.

It's like if Perun puts up a list. We've talked Maiden songs so long...I mean, seriously - when Dityn DJ James was 6, Perun, Foro, SMX, Onhell and I were first starting to be friends.

That's a while back indeed!  :ok: I think I know your tastes quite a bit as well.
I've got some songs coming up people are hardly talking about, so we'll see what happens. :)

No. 36 - 22 Acacia Avenue
(Harris/Smith, 1982 -> on stage-status: last time in 2003)

This song is my favourite H contribution on The Number of the Beast. An old Urchin song, rebuilt with Steve. And what a great result it became. The song brings tension immediately, with the start of Adrian's threatening riff and we're hearing Bruce on top of it. The song has a very enjoyable chorus. I knew that chorus first from Live After Death (where Bruce hardly sings and where the audience can't be heard well) so it was a bit of a revelation to hear the original.  :)

Later a lot of stuff is happening. The song changes with a more aggressive riff (again introduced by Adrian), a faster tempo and different rhythm, and I love the way the whole band joins him.

Both Dave and Adrian deliver some of their finest solos of the album. Dave's slow solo in Powerslave (stylewise) reminded me of this one, and Adrian's solo in Die With Your Boots On (a bit stylewise but especially the place in the song) sounds like he was inspired by his own co-written track, 22. Time to bring it back on the set again.

22AA is an awesome song, but it doesn't seem like that many people like it in the Survivor unfortunatly  :(

I like 22AA, but I wouldn't place it this high.

22 always hovers around my top 10... some days, It's my favourite song from the album...

22 is a cool track but no threat to crack my top 50. I've always thought the back half of the song meanders a bit. 82nd

And to catch up, add me to the Phantom fan boy list. 9th.
And I am so glad to see Purgatory here. Adrift, lost, frantic, desperate and drastically underrated by most — one of my favourite Paul track's and 29th overall.

Vap said:
I like 22AA, but I wouldn't place it this high.

This.

But on Beast Over Hammersmith, it exceeds all expectations. Definitely a top 10 song live.

LooseCannon said:

Indeed. We know Foro's #1; we've known for years. But watching this lower range of the list is interesting.

Black Thunder said:
But on Beast Over Hammersmith, it exceeds all expectations. Definitely a top 10 song live.
The BOH and other live versions are definitely better than the studio version, but not top ten.

Back