For the Greater Good of God

How good is For the Greater Good of God on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: 'For The Greater Good Of God'

Godservant said:
I am a lutheran-evangelical priest

Genghis Khan said:
I'd hate to sound like some dumb stereotyping youth... but I've never actually considered the possibility of a priest liking IM.  That's cool!  B)

Actually, many Christian priests of various confessions have written to me about the Commentary, and most were Maiden fans. There was even a French Catholic priest who was a Darkthrone fan! (And a nice bloke too.)

I'm waiting for the Jewish and Muslim priests to get in touch now.  ;)

I have been watching this topic, and I noticed that Maiden Forever had not replied for some time.  Has Maiden Forever seen an error in his assumptions, or has he been booted from the BB?

As he refused to acknowledge what other people were saying and started being fairly rude, notwithstanding that he applied Godwin's law very early in the discussion, he got the boot. QED.  :smartarse:

Maverick said:
As he refused to acknowledge what other people were saying and started being fairly rude, notwithstanding that he applied Godwin's law very early in the discussion, he got the boot. QED.  :smartarse:

Did P(Hitler Comparison) ever reach one?  I think I blocked him after his 5th indentical rant. :innocent:

Maverick said:
Actually, many Christian priests of various confessions have written to me about the Commentary, and most were Maiden fans. There was even a French Catholic priest who was a Darkthrone fan! (And a nice bloke too.)

I'm waiting for the Jewish and Muslim priests to get in touch now.  ;)

Iron Maiden could save the world!  :wub: 
If pointing out the good in all religions did not work, maybe Iron Maiden pointing out the bad in them all will bring them closer together.  ;)
... And the Nobel Peace Prize goes to...

I have a question regarding the last verses of the song about Jesus' crucifixion. While, as I said in an earlier post, I like its inclusion, I'm not sure about how it fits in. Is it supposed to contrast with how the religious people that wage war are different than Jesus and what his message was?

Sorry if I'm way off, or if it's painfully obvious and I missed it... ;)

thinksincode said:
I have a question regarding the last verses of the song about Jesus' crucifixion. While, as I said in an earlier post, I like its inclusion, I'm not sure about how it fits in. Is it supposed to contrast with how the religious people that wage war are different than Jesus and what his message was?

Sorry if I'm way off, or if it's painfully obvious and I missed it... ;)

That is essentially it, mate.  Many claim to spread the word of Jesus, yet do it in the way that contradict his teachings.  I'm not religious, but even I know that forceful conversions are against Jesus' word (EDIT: and are against any sane individual's morals).

I've been following this thread and I found some interesting inconsistancies and false assumptions.  I've read some interviews (two of which I was able to cut and paste from the WEB) with regard to interviews with Bruce Dickinson.  See below:

www.rockreport.be
Question: The main themes of the album seem to be war and religion.
BD: Yeah, it’s real life as it surrounds us, I mean that’s what’s all around at the moment. When I was a kid it was all about the cold war and the four minute warning and we were all going to get dissolved into some radioactive cinder at the drop of a hat. And then the wall came down and we all went “Ah, there you go, there’s only AIDs now then, that’s the only thing that’s going to get us”. But now there are a few other things like terrorists, fundamentalists and dirty bombs...... So there’s a whole bunch of like mini-apocalypses out there waiting to come and get you.  ...."Well what kind of a world are our kids going to grow up in?” So I think it touches all the bases really. War and religion.

ultimate-guitar.com
Question: On the lyrical topics covered on the new album:
BD:  It's not a concept album. But it doesn't mean that some of the subjects in the album aren't related — they are related, but they're related by the fact that we live in the world that we live in, and so, yes, there's a lot of songs about war, there's a lot of songs about religion, and things of that nature, because when we look at the world outside us, that's what's going on at the moment — there's lots of fear and paranoia about life and death and religion and war and things like that. So a lot of the album is about that.

The reason that I bring this up was that there seemed to be a lot of push-back to Maiden Forever's comments, ""For the Greater Good of God" is a song of our times.  It is what is going on today, as we look the other way because we are scared."

Just a thought.

Thanks a lot Maiden Forever/PlayWithMadness/runner. It looks like you finally learned to discuss instead of forcing your views down everyone's throat and ignoring people who told you that you weren't necessarily right.

But any post like the previous ones will get your sorry arse banned again...  :huh:

Forostar said:
Listening to this song, I noticed that Steve borrowed some of his own music from "Blood on the World's Hands".

Compare:

"Blood on the World's Hands"    --> 1.47-2.04  and  5.23-end
with:
"For the Greater Good of God"  --> 6.02-6.16  and  6.30-6.44

They aren't that similar in my opinion  :innocent:

Maverick I am not quite sure what your comments mean nor do I understand the smart arse remarks.  I know that maiden forever was banned, but have not heard of play with madness.  I do share some of maiden forever's thoughts, but I do not agree with his comments that For the Greater Good of God is a great song.  Frankly, I am not too fond of the entire album (with the exception of Different World).  Having said that, I don't see the point on further discussion on this topic.

runner said:
Maverick I am not quite sure what your comments mean nor do I understand the smart arse remarks.  I know that maiden forever was banned, but have not heard of play with madness.  I do share some of maiden forever's thoughts, but I do not agree with his comments that For the Greater Good of God is a great song.  Frankly, I am not too fond of the entire album (with the exception of Different World).  Having said that, I don't see the point on further discussion on this topic.

Maybe you should try another band.  :innocent: This album is all what Maiden is about these days.

A blabbermouth news article brought up a link to an audio Dickinson interview for some American Radio station. During this interview, Bruce says that the song was inspired by the "conflict in the Middle East", although it does reffer to all religion-based conflict

http://www.wrif.com/media/2006_10ironmaiden.asx

gor said:
A blabbermouth news article brought up a link to an audio Dickinson interview for some American Radio station. During this interview, Bruce says that the song was inspired by the "conflict in the Middle East", although it does reffer to all religion-based conflict

http://www.wrif.com/media/2006_10ironmaiden.asx

Even if it was based on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, it still doesn't necessarily mean it's solely criticising Islamic extremists...there's two sides to every story and every war.  Besides, Bruce is prone to overstating things...The Pilgrim's inspiration, anyone? :lol:

Raven said:
Even if it was based on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, it still doesn't necessarily mean it's solely criticising Islamic extremists...there's two sides to every story and every war.  Besides, Bruce is prone to overstating things...The Pilgrim's inspiration, anyone? :lol:

Bruce said the band is not taking sides in the Middle East conflict and that they're not saying all Christians are the good guys and vice versa...
Bruce did talk about white extremists also and questioned why he [presumably Timothy McVeigh] blow up a building.  He was not being biased, IMHO.

Maverick (if you're there...you haven't been online for ages, for reasons that I guess are personal), I finally got round to flicking through your extended Commentary on this song.  I have to say, you did a very good job of presenting both sides of the argument, with the problems of blind religion contrasted with the ability of open-mindedness and faith to co-exist in a person's mind.  There are just two things I would like to point out:

When you mention the 'fear' of God, I agree that many use it to twist the faith of their congregation into unpure fear.  But I think that the sentiment the verse you quoted is trying to get across is not fear like we are afraid during a horror movie...more, it is respect for God.  'Good, God-fearing men' are not quivering wrecks but people who do what is right and cannot go against their morality.

You frequently make use to the 'sheep' analogy used in the Gospels and Psalms in your discussions.  Again, rather than this being meant to represent Christians as brainless, indentical slaves to Christ, it was used as something that most of the inhabitants could relate to, having experience with caring for livestock.  The 'sheep' analogy is used time and again in the Bible to show God as a deity that cares for everyone equally.  Either that, or the Israeli scribes really had a thing for sheep....and not in that way, Conor! :mad:

Raven said:
Maverick (if you're there...you haven't been online for ages...

He posted 3 times just yesterday. He's around here, somewhere. Maybe he just doesn't want to talk to you.  :p

What I hate most is when Westerners label Muslims as terrorists. This happened since September 11, when Muslims in the U.S.A. and the whole world alike are blamed for such attacks.

thousand_suns said:
What I hate most is when Westerners label Muslims as terrorists. This happened since September 11, when Muslims in the U.S.A. and the whole world alike are blamed for such attacks.
When *some* Westerners blamed all Muslims for the attacks.  Most of us know that's bollocks - you can't expect a faith with over a billion people with the history between the (traditionally) Christian lands and the Muslim areas to not have some wacko extremists.  In either faith.  Killing in the name of God, be that god's name Yahweh, Jehovah, Allah, or something else, is an aberration.  I actually was listening to the August BBC History podcast and there was quite an interesting commentary on the term "crusader" and how we avoid it in today's world to avoid being linked to religious violence...

Back