For the Greater Good of God

How good is For the Greater Good of God on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: 'For The Greater Good Of God'

Perun said:
That's funny, I didn't know he was so popular outside Germany :)

Well, I believe the Czech Republic is a special case (I don't know why). But anyway he was translated to over 30 languages as I recall. The movies in sixties made him quite popular in communist states of those days, but in my country he was popular even before WWII thanks to books printed by a local publisher with drawings by Zdenek Burian - really cool and popular set of publications.

(Hehe, and sorry again, I know this is not Maiden - maybe I should have use messaging system :)

Maiden Forever said:
I've been listening to Maiden and going to their concerts before guys like you learned how to crap.
Not quite sure who that was specifically aimed at, but some who have responded to your posts are no spring chickens themselves.

And there is no point me going over what has already been said - there is no need to try and have a go at Islamic fundamentalist in a song that is about religion as a whole. It may seem that it is a "sugar coated" attack at them, but this song is about religious fanatics from whatever religion - as they all have them. It can be interpreted in many ways (as some have already done so) and indeed some lines could point to one thing or the other, but like you said yourself - "it is OK to mock western religion as it does in this song" - so how does this point to "Islamo Facism"?

That said - I think you have defended your corner quite well, it's just that it is a little blinkered. Like Perun said, there is a world outside the US.

By the way, there are some things I forgot to stress. Having lived in an Islamic country, and having known quite a few Muslim people through the years, I have to say that the fanatics make up a tiny portion of the followship of that religion. As it is with radical minorities, they are often the loudest and most violent, thus influencing our view on all of Islam. However, most Muslims I have known struck me as being incredibly polite, considerate, tolerant and generally pleasant people. They believe in the "Live and let live"-idea just as much as I do. Some examples:

One of my earliest childhood friends was an Iranian whose father was actually a Mullah. Nevertheless, he sent his son to a secular, western kindergarten (run by -gasp- unveiled women), let him play with all other children, let him visit his friends and let his friends -regardless of their gender- visit him.

At the place I used to work at two years ago, there was one deeply religious Muslim. It happened quite frequently that you went into a room and saw him praying. However, he wasn't the one offering pork sausage at Ramadan- he wasn't the one picking fights with people just because he didn't like their faces. As a matter of fact, the only time he did an angry criticism was when somebody squashed bugs just because they annoyed her. Other than that, he helped decorating the place for Christmas or bought ham and sausages for us, all the while approaching people making happy jokes or inviting us to join him at his favourite pub on the weekend.

You may look at it from the other side - are these good muslims a majority or a minority? In fact, I think even european people tend more to be bad than good. Maybe I am pesimistic and I don't like people :) I usually expect people to be bad. People used to fight all the time, it does not matter that they think of themselves as civilized. Look at uprisings in Paris, or nowadays in Hungaria I think. Or Yugoslavia - it is not a deep past. So I am happy for every good being - islamic or christian or whatever else, not important - only the things they do are important.

It's bad that most people (in USA, Europe, ...) see the world through the televison - news, babble of the politicians...  A bit clouded our vision is, master Yoda would say. So we think that islam is bad, because we can see only the bad side. And the same for muslims seeing us.

(Heh, a curiosity - is it right, that Islam forbids depicting people? It seems to me that Osama showing himself in video spots fails his own religion, am I wrong?)

I'm not to judge whether the majority of people is good or bad- but what I meant to say is, the relation stays the same, no matter what prophet you follow or what flag flies on the government building of the country you live in.

My friends, you too are making several untrue assumptions.  I was also born in a Eastern European country.  I lived there during the cold war.  I know what it means to stand in line for hours, just to get food to your family.  When we fled, we fled via Libya.  I lived there for 6 years.  So I am familiar too with the islam way of life.  Now that I am an American, I am a proud American and I appreciate all the privledges that come along.

You know, if it weren't for the US, most of Europe would be speaking German.  If it weren't for the Crusades, most of the women in Europe would be wearing Berkas (sp?).  These topics have nothing to do with this thread.

My original comment was the point of For The Greater Good of God.  It is a song of our time.  Who is waging holy wars against the cross worshippers?  Yes it is Islamo Facism.  Like it or not, it is true.

Yes, most muslims are peace loving.  However, it is also true that all terrorists have been muslims lately.

Again, it is a great song, but why was there no reference to Islamo Facism other than through holy wars (jihad)?  As pointed out by someone, Maiden has no problems identifying the white man and the evil things done in Run to the Hills, but for some reason islam has always been off the table.

"Maiden forever". Dishing out inane platitudes won't get you any friends here, you know.  :huh:

"Without the Americans, we'd all be speaking German by now." "Without the Crusades, women would be completely covered."  What else? "Without Hitler we'd be under Jewish law"? "Without the Soviets, the American flag wouldn't be on the Moon"? *sigh*

What you don't seem to accept is that this song is about religion -- any religion -- and not one specifically. You only come here to express your hatred towards a particular people, and this is intolerable. While I admit that Islam isn't exactly a peaceful religion, and that you have the right to express your feelings about it, you shouldn't take the opportunity of one Maiden song to do so. This board is about discussing the various aspects of Iron Maiden, and not to spread any hatred about. If you want to do that, like I said, the Internet is large enough.

Any further posting showing your unwillingness to see other people's point of view will be deleted. While I despise as much as you do the bastards who kill innocent people in the name of some god, I have nothing but contempt towards people like you who lower themselves to their level.

"What should move us to action is human dignity: the inalienable dignity of the oppressed, but also the dignity of each of us. We lose dignity if we tolerate the intolerable."
-- Dominique de Menil

I'll keep the dignity of this forum intact by not tolerating your misplaced comments on this board any longer.  :mad:

Maiden Forever said:
My friends, you too are making several untrue assumptions.  I was also born in a Eastern European country.  I lived there during the cold war.  I know what it means to stand in line for hours, just to get food to your family.  When we fled, we fled via Libya.  I lived there for 6 years.  So I am familiar too with the islam way of life.  Now that I am an American, I am a proud American and I appreciate all the privledges that come along.

Yes, now you are a proud American who repeats the same phrases I've heard by many, many proud Americans.
Your story is fine with me, and I am actually happy to hear that you appreciate the freedom you have. It's something very rare.

You know, if it weren't for the US, most of Europe would be speaking German.

Thanks. You quoted my signature. As it happens, it's extreme cynicism from my part, given that I am, in fact, living in Germany.
I know what your point is, but the thing is that many people in the world feel opressed directly or indirectly by the US. Unilateral foreign politics and cowboy diplomacy have made the US very inpopular around the world. The absurd thing is that the US are pretty isolated with their world view, but they don't want to see that; they consider everyody else isolated.

If it weren't for the Crusades, most of the women in Europe would be wearing Berkas (sp?).

Burkhas (Which, rather digressive, Burkhas are a traditional Afghani dress that is frowned upon in most other Islamic countries, unlike the Chador-- sorry for the smartarse mode). And no, I don't see why. At the time of the Crusades, there was no threat whatsoever that Islam would overtake Europe. According to modern historical understanding, if there was ever actually a threat of an Islamic power taking over large parts of Europe, that was in the 16th and 17th centuries with the Ottoman expansion.

Yes, most muslims are peace loving.  However, it is also true that all terrorists have been muslims lately.

So? In the seventies, most terrorists were autonomous leftists. Besides, not all terrorists have been Muslims lately. Ever heard of the ETA, the Tamil Tigers and their likes?
And even most terrorist groups from Muslim countries are not religiously motivated; think of Chechen or Kurdish extremists. The reasons for their violence stem from completely different backgrounds.
The cause for terrorism is not a specific ideology or religion; it exists in all extremist branches.

Again, I agree with you that Islamistic terrorism is something disgusting and an insult to mankind, but neither should we single it out from all the disgusting and insulting things people have done in the past, nor should we think that getting down to their level (that is, bombing cities and killing innocent civilians, even if that is labelled 'collateral damage) will do anything to solve the problem.
The only efficient way to fight such a thing, and sorry for the preaching mode again, is to remove the breeding ground. Social injustice, opressive regimes and lack of perspective are only some of the keywords that describe the situation in many of the areas where such radical fundamentalist ideologies as the Wahabit, Taleban or Deobandi schools of Islam feed from.

Again, it is a great song, but why was there no reference to Islamo Facism other than through holy wars (jihad)?

It has been said before and I'll say it again, the song is about religious extremism per se, not about Islamic fundamentalism.

As pointed out by someone, Maiden has no problems identifying the white man and the evil things done in Run to the Hills, but for some reason islam has always been off the table.

That was me, thank you very much. You can call me by my name, that is no problem. Yes, Islam has been off the table; so have been many other religions and ideologies. The lyrics were kept vague so that you can read your own meanings into them. This has been a trend for quite a while now with Maiden, and it's something I really appreciate.

(Mav, I'm not entirely with you here. I think the discussion is actually becoming interesting now.)

Perun said:
(Mav, I'm not entirely with you here. I think the discussion is actually becoming interesting now.)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead."
-- Thomas Paine

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."
-- Bertrand Russell

"The mind of a bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract."
--  Oliver Wendell Holmes

Did I make myself clear?  :smartarse:

Maiden Forever said:
However, it is also true that all terrorists have been muslims lately.

Here's one for you; nearly 100% of atrocities committed by the IRA have been committed by Catholics.  Does that make Catholicsim a terrorist religion?  Am I a terrorist?  Is Conor?  Is anyone born in Ireland a terrorist; I'm sure that most terrorism in Ireland is committed by Irish people!  What I'm saying may sound stupid, but it's certainly more viable than what you're saying.  Islam is a huge religion.  The extremists are a tiny minority.  If you're implying, by that statement, that Islam is a religion of death and terror, I suggest you leave this site-close-mindedness is not welcome here...especially that kind of closed-mindedness.  You almost sound like the trolls on Metal-Archives, who flamed me for trying to imply that not all Muslims are terrorists. :mad:

Wow Maveprick.  I guess you couldn't handle my response.  No worries, go back to reading more CD sleeves.

Like I said in my last post (that you erased, cause it brought out the real you), your response "What else? "Without Hitler we'd be under Jewish law"?

This showed your true colors! You support anyone who hates Jews.

I guess some folk never learn.

Maiden Forever said:

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but if there is one thing I know for certain about Mav, then it's that he definitely does not hate Jews.

And you can trust me on that.

I'm with you here Perun. I have noticed the passion behind some of Mav's posts that really suggest his loathing of bigotry.

I guess this is how some racial hatred becomes of some - people take one innocent comment and view it in a different (but their own) light and make 2 + 2 = 5.

Maverick said:
"Without the Americans, we'd all be speaking German by now." "Without the Crusades, women would be completely covered."  What else? "Without Hitler we'd be under Jewish law"? "Without the Soviets, the American flag wouldn't be on the Moon"? *sigh*

Maiden Forever said:

:(  I think, Maiden Forever, that what Maverick meant (correct me if I'm wrong)  ;) is that some people make sweeping and (incorrect) generalizations about groups of people, be they Muslim, German, Jewish, American, etc.  Stereotypes are dangerous because they lead to bigotry and hatred.  By the way, Maverick, do you have a special folder dedicated to all these impressive quotes?  :ok:

I agree with Perun's reasoning about current global issues, in the sense that both the eastern and western sides are morally and politically at fault to some extent.  I just have one thing to add, with the risk of getting political. 

I agreed with the war against Osama Bin Laden, because of his direct and lethal involvement with the murder of thousands of innocent lives.  By virtue of Taliban's harbouring Bin Laden, that government needed to be taken down, simply as a matter of self-defence and no more.  I don't know what exactly possessed the American government to stop pursuing Al-Qaeda and switch the majority of their focus on Iraq.  (Some say oil, some say revenge or WMDs, which we later learned was a complete lie).  They could have cought him if they did not falter, and if Bush did not start denouncing any and every country that does not practice Western democracy as "part of the axis of evil".  That was not very smart to say the least. 

The war in Iraq is a sham.  Most Americans now believe this, as well.  There is no way out now without having the US government, particularly Bush, looking like complete baffoons.  USA can win militarily, but with their actions they cannot win morally or practically as many Iraqis remember Bush Sr.'s betrayal.  I'm referring to the fact that Bush Sr. promised to help Kurds fight Sadam Hussein, but backed out only to leave them at the Iraqi dictator's mercy.  The current forceful method of convincing Iraqis that "democracy is better" does not change anyone's opinions.  With the exception of Fox News, the un"fair" and un"balanced" far right propaganda, most media outlets are showing that the situation and support within Iraq is diminishing.  Furthermore, USA's foreign policy makes this global power less and less diplomatically influential in the world today, both in western Europe and elsewhere.

By the way, the term Islamo-fascism is technically not correct and I don't know why Bush keeps calling it that.  Perhaps it is because America is moving more and more into fascisim themselves.  For example, as Perun points out, many American companies rub elbows with dictators in order to establish a strong presence there.  Of course, the US government benefits as this gives them tax money and indirectly controls the poorer countries as they can threaten "economic embargo" when it suits their needs. 

As far as the song is concerned, Maiden Forever, here are my reasons why it is not just about fundamentalist Islam.  I'll use only one verse, as it'll suffice.

A life that's made to breathe destruction or defense
      A mind that's vain corruption bad or good intent
      A wolf in sheep's clothing
      Or saintly or sinner
      Or some that would believe
      A holy war winner

This could be about America, or better yet (as I think that most Americans are good people) it could be about George W. Bush.  Is the current war in Iraq about self-defense or about selfish motives?  Regardless of the motives, though, Bush's vanity will lead to corruption.  At first, he seemed like a sheep, meek and defenceless.  Is he a wolf now?  Will he be a holy war winner?  Yes, I do believe, Bush is waging a holy war.  His fundamentalist views on such issues as abortion, gay rights and evolution are typical of an extreme rightist philosophy.  He'd be more vocal, too, if he was not worried about losing votes (and I'm not being cynical).

The reason why Maiden does not mention either fundamentalist Bush or Islam is twofold.  First, one can write a deep song without getting into personal names.  This also makes the song more timeless as it can be more relevant to the future generations.  Secondly, it is wise not to cause unnecessary harm by calling out against a particular group of people when they are not the only guilty ones.  Any intelligent person will be able to interpret that FTGGOG is criticizing fundamentalist Islam as much as any fundamentalist religion.  Also there are many people, both in the Middle East and the western world, that just learn to hate just because "they're different".  This conflict will go on and on, sadly, and decades from now most people will not even bother to point out or remember that it was religious at one point.  Some people will hate, simply because at one point in history "those people" harmed us.  Even Pavlov's dog learned to stop salivating at some point.  (Now I am being cynical). :S

I think it was Thomas Jefferson who said that if America's great democracy fails, it will fail within and it will fail because Americans have unwittingly let fascist ideologies take root.  (I'm sure someone will correct me here if I'm wrong).  Except, if my mind is not tricking me, I believe, Jefferson used another word akin to but not "fascism"; it could be what Mussolini later called "corporatism" where large businesses and governments are really one and the same.  Before the Vietnam war, most Americans supported their politicians and believed in the democratic process.  Ironically, today when Bush wages war in the name of democracy, most American citizens (62% by the latest vote I saw) do not believe that their democracy is functioning properly.  There is something both wrong and scary about that.  The rising of Hitler is reminiscent of this phenomenon.

By the way, Maiden Forever, I'm neither a "conservative" nor a "liberal".  I'm a libertarian in the political spectrum and as a Canadian, and hopefully I'm not generalizing here, I can say that I feel more sympathy for Americans than most of the non-American world.

OK, so it was more than one point I wanted to make.  This is not the first time I've done that.    :bigsmile:

I would really appreciate a response from you Maiden Forever and from anyone else.

Genghis Khan, I agree with a little of  what you're saying, but disagree with the majority.  However, it does appear that you are reasonable.  I tried to explain before this thing got out of control, but Maverick erased my reply.  Let me try again (before I am censored yet again).  My intention is to keep off politics and religion (arguing who is right, who is wrong, which religion did what and why) except for how it relates to my topic.  A discussion regarding politics would require a different platform and much more time.  I will bite my tongue about the anti-American comments that were made, because I want my initial point to come across.

First of all, let me state again that this is not a message of hatred.  Secondly, let me state again that I believe that most muslims are peaceful.  The muslims that are not peaceful are the extreme radicals what I refer to as Islamo-Facists (just for reference, Pres. Bush did not invent this term.  This term has been used for many years before Pres. Bush started using it).  I am, however, glad he used this in place of insurgents which sounded like they were good people who were justly fighting their oppressors.  For argument sakes we can call the Islamo Facists what you like.  Let me use the name BOB (no hidden meaning or acronym) to represent the extreme radical muslims.  Hopefully, this will prevent the discussions from drifting again.  Now then, unless you are living under a rock, you know that western civilization is under attack by BOB.  Whether you are Christain, Jewish, Buddist, Hindu, etc, the BOB wants to wipe you out and convert you by the sword.  This is their holy war, their jihad.  The best example of this was the recent speech by the Pope.  The Pope used a quote which refered to BOB and called their actions evil.  Suddenly BOB publicly declared the jihad against all cross bearers (and we all know that the jihad was already waged against the Jews for many years).

Hopefully, up to this point I have not offended anyone nor has this sounded like a speech of hatred.  Also, hopefully everyone can agree that this has been fairly accurate.

Now then, I really did not want to argue politics nor religion.  We all know that an extreme perversion of any religion is evil.  Throughout history, many of our religions are guilty of this, including my own.  Today, the most relevant perverted example of this is BOB.  Again, unless you are living under a rock, you will agree me.

Again, hopefully I have been clear enough, and no one is pissed off yet.

Here was my initial main comment about 'For The Greater Good Of God'.  I think it is a great song.  I think this is a song of our time, because of the holy war waged by BOB on the entire western civilization.  Look at the name of the album "A matter of life and death".  Surely Maiden did not mean this to be about taxes or the price of gasoline.  My only disappointment with 'For The Greater Good Of God' is that no specific reference was made to BOB.  It seems ok to make reference to Christianity in a negative light as with most other religions (as Maverick did with the joke about Hitler and Jewish law).  However, making a negative comment about BOB seems voo doo and you are automatically called closed minded and a maker of hate speech.  Even if the song wasn't entirely about BOB, you can not deny that it was partly about BOB.  [if you have gotten lost in my lengthy explanation, I am using BOB to represent extremist islam / islamo facism].  Again, I believe the Maiden of old would have called it like they saw it.  However, everyone seems to be "open minded" these days.  When I say this I am being sarcastic, because everyone is open minded in an extreme and perverted manner.  These people are so open minded that they openly blame themselves for the actions by the likes of BOB and dare not say anything in protest because they do not want to appear to be closed minded or hateful, even if it means ignoring the threat to their own survival.  This is growing to the point of being a mental illness.

A case and point.  Several months ago, a BOB animal started shooting 13 innocent people here in the states.  Killing innocent Jewish women and children in cold blood, all in the name of allah.  He was screaming anti-semetic remarks and calling this his work a jihad.  The mainstream media did not detail this and made only comments such as "a man", or "a suspect" because they did not want to name the BOB animal in fear of being politically incorrect.  They would not show his photo, name his origin, quote what he shouted, nor give his name.  However, the photo, name, race of the idiot who confessed to killing Jonbennet Ramsey  was plastered on every media outlet.  This is because he was a white male, and heaven knows it is politically correct to say anything you want about this race and gender.  This political correctness is madness.  This is the disappointment I have with Maiden on this song.  (otherwise a great song).

Finally, the comments about Maverick not being anti-semitic.  Please be weary of what you think.  Again remember my argument that political correctness is a mental disorder.  Even if Maverick is Jewish himself, he can be so perversed in his views that he can take the side of BOB just because he believes that he has to in order to appear "open minded". 

A case and point on this:
New York mayor Bloomberg is Jewish, a lot of the media here in the US is Jewish, many of the Democrats her in the US have Jewish backing.  However, what happened when the madman from Iran (as well as Hugo Chavez) came to New York.  The mayor pandered to him and allowed him to enter NY, spent millions of $ for protection of these psychos, the media wowed his comments and cheered these lunatics, as did a majority of the Democrats (just because their hatred for Pres Bush overshadowed protecting their own country).  This is the same Iran madman that said that Israel must be wiped off the earth.  He went on to say that he is willing to sacrifice half of Iran's people to exterminate Israel.  This is the Hitler of our time, do you not see this?  Can you imagine this happening in the 1930's before the political correctness movement?  HELL NO!!  They would have killed these two madman before they had a chance to speak.  Furthermore, I believe a band/artist like Maiden would not mix words in an effort to "offend" Hitler's followers.  The 1930s was a different time, where men were men and not politically correct cowards.

This is why I was outraged about the comment by Maverick "What else? "Without Hitler we'd be under Jewish law"?  How can anyone say that?  Another great example of how this can be said about Judaism, but if the same was said about BOB it would be immedaitely considered "closed minded" and "hatred speech".

But I have digressed and babbled enough.  For all I know, Maverick will censor this again because he sees he is wrong and can not rebuttle.  Again, he will look on the sleeve of his favorite CD and not be able to come up with anything, and stick his head in the sand.

Maiden is a band that reaches many of us and has much influence.  I wish they will be more candid in what they are trying to sing about.  This is Metal, not elevator music.  Metal is in your face, if you don't like it then turn it off.  Metal was revolutionary and blunt!  Pop is for the masses and has to be politically correct.  I hope everyone wakes up and pulls their heads out of the sand before the BOB slits their throats.

First, let's make one thing clear: I do not like/dislike the Jews, like I do not like/dislike any other group of people, may they be religious or ethnic groups. "Maiden Forever" simply applied Godwin's Law and showed how limited he could be.

My idiotic statement about Hitler and the Jews was simply there to emphasise the idiocy of "Maiden Forever"'s statement about the Americans and the German language. I made the mistake of overestimating this sad character, that's all. It's funny that he didn't pick up on my mention of the Soviets...

As Perun seems to enjoy hitting his head against a wall, I shall leave the shallow messages posted by "Maiden Forever" for him (and others who may feel like it) to discuss. "Maiden Forever"'s verbal diarrhoea is properly written, but he writes a lot to actually say very little and it looks more and more evident that no one here will be able to take off him the massive blinkers he seems to carry with such pride. Sad, really.

Anyway, the discussion could easily be summarised as follows:

"Maiden Forever": "Iron Maiden have no balls and should have written the lyrics to accuse specifically the Islamic extremists and their horrible deeds."
The rest of the board: "Iron Maiden wrote a song about the potential and actual evils of religion in general and didn't limits themselves to a specific group or era of history, making 'For The Greater Good Of God' a timeless masterpiece that will still be valid centuries from now."

Pretty simple, isn't it?

Maiden Forever said:
This is the Hitler of our time, do you not see this?  Can you imagine this happening in the 1930's before the political correctness movement?  HELL NO!!  They would have killed these two madman before they had a chance to speak.  Furthermore, I believe a band/artist like Maiden would not mix words in an effort to "offend" Hitler's followers.  The 1930s was a different time, where men were men and not politically correct cowards.

1930's was not politically correct and full of liberals, is that what you're saying?  Have you ever heard of the term 'appeasement'?  In the 1930's, there was no evidence that Hitler was evil, before 1939.  Are you seriously suggesting that Britain or France would have attacked a country that was finally getting back on its feet and had recovered from the disastrous effects of the Treaty of Versailles?  It's all well and good saying that Hitler was evil from today's perspective, but the true horror of the Holocaust was not revealed until after the war.  "They would have killed these two madman before they had a chance to speak".  Presumably, you mean that because Ahmadinejad is a bigot, against the Jews.  Well, the only difference between him and you that I can see is that he is the head of state, and you (thankfully), are confined to ranting about your ignorant views on a BB.  We have made our arguments plain to you, and yet you still insist on acting like a 3-year-old child.  Which shows you have no respect for us-you clearly have not read our posts, as anyone with half a brain would see the other side of the argument and admit that they were in error. :mad:

*Ignore*

Maiden Forever said:
Again remember my argument that political correctness is a mental disorder.
Try to take this from me, as my background is similar to yours: Being tolerant and thinking with an open mind has nothing to do with political correctness. Stand up for your opinion, that's great, but be a little more humble about it. Intolerance and unwillingness to learn, especially in politics, are the most dangerous disorders. :(

Listening to this song, I noticed that Steve borrowed some of his own music from "Blood on the World's Hands".

Compare:

"Blood on the World's Hands"    --> 1.47-2.04  and  5.23-end
with:
"For the Greater Good of God"  --> 6.02-6.16  and  6.30-6.44

Back