Favourite song that Janick Gers and Steve Harris made

What's your favorite song by Gers and Harris?

• The Apparition

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Weekend Warrior

• Lord Of The Flies

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • The Unbeliever

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • The Mercenary

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Dream Of Mirrors

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • Dance Of Death

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The Pilgrim

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • The Legacy

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • The Talisman

Votes: 16 13.9%
  • The Book of Souls

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • Shadows of the Valley

• Total voters
Yeah we could do this one again. Could someone clean the results and add:

- The Book of Souls
- Shadow of the Valley

Or is it better to open a new topic?

Old results, from 14 January 2007 til 6 November 2015:

Dance of Death: 27
The Legacy: 20
Dream of Mirrors: 9
The Talisman: 9
Lord of the Flies: 2
The Unbeliever: 2
The Pilgrim: 2
The Apparition: 0
Weekend Warrior: 0
The Mercenary: 0

I don't know when I voted on this, but I'm far from certain that I would vote "The Legacy" again. "Talisman", "Dream of Mirrors" and "Lord of the Flies" would also be top contenders.

1. Dance of Death
2. The Talisman
3. Dream of Mirrors

Are my top 3. Janick also happens to be my favourite song writer of the post reunion era.

The Pilgrim is incredibly underrated and is my favourite song from AMOLAD.

The Book of Souls is a tad overrated, and Shadows of the Valley is my least favourite song from the post-reunion era.

Talisman takes this easily. Book Of Souls and Shadows Of The Valley probably take 2nd and 3rd for me.

Funny how they both wrote perhaps 2 of Maiden's very worst songs to start with, but have also written probably my 5th favourite song in the catalogue too.

The Book of Souls is easily 'top 5 ever' material for me (possibly top 3 post-reunion). But it seems I can't put it over The Legacy. For years this one has been simply engraved in my brain as the ultimate masterpiece. It's funny that so many songs are longer than The Legacy but none is more massive or epic. It always feels longer than it is, but in a positive sense of course. Dance of Death is a classic very close to the two I mentioned, but e.g. The Talisman is nowhere near that level (although it's a brilliant track). Plus, I've always thought Lord of the Flies is underappreciated. Excellent rocker, should be played live more often.

Gone for D0D, although The Talisman is a personal favourite too. Book of Souls doesn't grab me as much.

I went for DoD, however I would have probably voted for TBOS if it was there.

In order of how I'd rank them:

12 - The Unbeliever
11 - Lord of the Flies
10 - The Legacy
9 - The Pilgrim
8 - The Apparition
7 - The Mercenary
6 - Weekend Warrior
5 - The Book Of Souls
4 - Dream Of Mirrors
3 - The Talisman
2 - Dance Of Death
1 - Shadows Of The Valley

For me it's The Talisman, but The Legacy comes a very close second. Also The Book of Souls has really grown on me. It's got a hell of a chorus.

The Talisman is in my top 3 songs, so THE TALISMAN!!!!!

Well, my top 3 songs are Dance of Death, The Legacy and The Talisman, so tell me... :D

But for me it's probably Dance of Death. In a way I like The Legacy more, but it's also very specific (and more connected with its album).

I updated this poll. I added The Book of Souls and Shadows* of the Valley. People can change their vote if they like.

*I blundered by leaving out that "s" (I often forget it!), sorry, can't repair it.

Last edited:
Voted for The Talisman because it's part of one of the most underrated albums.

DOD and The Legacy are as good.

"The Book Of Souls". The second half of that song is the best thing Gers has ever co-written.

The Apparition and The Legacy are two Top 20 songs for me and I love them a lot.

However, Lord of the Flies is my tenth favorite Maiden song overall and I love it to death. Gotta vote for that one.

"The Legacy" gets my vote, although "Dance of Death", "The Book of Souls" and "The Talisman" are not that far behind.

Back