Favourite song that Janick Gers and Steve Harris made

What's your favorite song by Gers and Harris?

• The Apparition

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Weekend Warrior

• Lord Of The Flies

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • The Unbeliever

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • The Mercenary

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Dream Of Mirrors

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • Dance Of Death

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The Pilgrim

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • The Legacy

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • The Talisman

Votes: 16 13.9%
  • The Book of Souls

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • Shadows of the Valley

• Total voters

Forostar

Ancient Mariner
Four long epics in the list!

Also this collection of songs contains quite some characters:
An apparition, a warrior, a lord, an unbeliever, a mercenary and a pilgrim !

I am curious what you will vote :)

What legacy will you dream of when you'll dance with death?

Easy, I thought, "Dance of Death". The story in the song sold it for me. But then I looked hard at "The Legacy". That was one of the most stunning performances of their Earls Court show when I saw them last. And I do like the way it sort of intertwines with a Led Zep/Rush/Maiden type sound throughout.

But after much deliberation, I stuck with Dance of death. :D

I chose The Legacy.  Although I don't have the Fear Of The Dark album,  I'm pretty sure I won't change my mind.  It's a brilliant song,  and I just love the acoustic part  :)

I went for Dance of Death, although I really enjoy The Legacy, The Pilgrim, The Apparition, The Lord of the Flies, and Dream of Mirrors. As usual, hard choice.  ::)

I just can't choose between Dance of Death and The Legacy.  Both are such excellent epics.  It's like asking which is better, eating or sleeping. 

The Apparition and Weekend Warrior don't even come close to matching them.  The Mercenary, Dream of Mirrors, The Pilgrim, and Lord of the Flies are all excellent songs, but even they can't beat DoD or Legacy.

So I voted for neither!  :innocent:

Invader said:
I just can't choose between Dance of Death and The Legacy.  Both are such excellent epics.  It's like asking which is better, eating or sleeping. 

The Apparition and Weekend Warrior don't even come close to matching them.  The Mercenary, Dream of Mirrors, The Pilgrim, and Lord of the Flies are all excellent songs, but even they can't beat DoD or Legacy.

So I voted for neither!  :innocent:

:bigsmile:

The rundown:
The Unbeliever -- I have yet to get into this song.
The Legacy -- I loved the live version, but I still feel it is the least desirable song off the new album.
The Apparition -- A unique song in the Maiden repertoire, but I can't see it being #1 here.  It is too simplistic for that.
Weekend Warrior -- A song I really dug back when I started listening to them, but the general lack of big intrumental parts makes it less appealing.
Dream of Mirrors -- As of late I'm really losing patience with its long intro.
The Pilgrim -- A good song but its instrumentals are not as good as 'Dance of Death'.
Lord of the Flies -- Same as above.
The Mercenary -- A song I'm getting into again -- a lot.  I almost voted for it.  Rough.  Aggressive.  Great power.  But, the epic of...
Dance of Death -- ... just wins me over.  I always feel like shaking my foot when the chorus instruments hit.  :)  It is a song that is both silly and serious at times.

Genghis Khan said:
Weekend Warrior -- A song I really dug back when I started listening to them, but the general lack of big intrumental parts makes it less appealing.

Interesting. I have always thought that the instrumental mid-part is the best part of the song. There are quite some parts in a row and altogether I must conclude that I don't agree with the "lack of big instrumental parts", but maybe we have different definitions of big in this case. :)

What do I like about it?

It features a very melodic and well thought Murray solo and has a pretty unique combination of acoustic guitars and electrical harmonies intertwined.

My own vote:

I go for The Unbeliever. I really like Blaze's vocals on it. The style of the chorus has comparisons with Judgement of Heaven, which I also like a lot.

Main argument to vote for this one is the instrumental section. VERY cool stuff. When I hear it, it gives me always shivers. Cool drum rolls of Nicko and the solos are amazing, especially the one of Janick with some screaming notes. These solo sections also feature nice clean rhythm guitars.

Why they never played it? No clue. For me it's THE 90's song, together with Mother Russia that I have missed most.

Forostar said:
Interesting. I have always thought that the instrumental mid-part is the best part of the song. There are quite some parts in a row and altogether I must conclude that I don't agree with the "lack of big instrumental parts", but maybe we have different definitions of big in this case. :)

What do I like about it?

It features a very melodic and well thought Murray solo and has a pretty unique combination of acoustic guitars and electrical harmonies intertwined.

I'm afraid I used a wrong definition for 'Weekend Warrior' review.  :)  The instrumental parts are interesting and flow nicely.  I also like the soft instruments during the chorus.  However, during the rest of the song (most of it I think) the instruments are just too plain.  A little variation, in my opinion, could have helped. 

My tastes shift from time to time, so I may renew my appreciation for that verse/rough "electric sound intertwined with the chorus/acoustic sound". 

intresting thread.....difficult choice between Legacy and DoD, I voted Legacy because of its better lyrics (DoD is like a FotD part II, and the relief of the main character is describing a bit extemporaneously)

DREAM OF MIRRORS- for me is a song that I just never get tired of. A masterpiece. The lyrics are transcending, and every time I hear them they change the atmosphere around me. The very title 'Dream of mirrors' sets you up for the curious contemplation the song slowly increases as the lyrics are sung. I love the mysterious beginning, slowly revealing the questions presented. I also enjoy the moment when the gallop starts and also the peak culmination of the song 'lost in a dream of mirrors, lost in a paradox, lost and time is spining, lost a dream that I retrace', followed by the fast guitar work.

I also very much like DOD and Legacy, but I'm in love with Dream of mirrors.

Dance of Death.

I did not really like it that much the first time I listened to it, but it captured me with repeated listening.
Great melody, a story being told, fantastic vocals by Bruce, some amazing solos and an epic feel.

I love the Dream of Mirrors and even the Legacy as well but DoD has that something special is what I think.

Their most recent one, without doubt.  The duo seem to be getting better with age.  The Apparition and Weekend Warrior are pretty horrible IMO, but they get better with Lord of the Flies, The Unbeliever and The Mercenary.  Then they start writing proper epics (Dream of Mirrors, Dance of Death, and The Legacy) and they get better with each one.  Dream of Mirrors, Dance of Death, and The Legacy are all fantastic epics.  I swear Janick is a genius when it comes to writing long, complex songs.  At least, I would assume that Janick writes most of the song and Steve does the lyrics - the lyrics all at least have very much of a "Steve" touch to them (especially DoM and TL).

But anyway, on to why I love The Legacy: the progressive nature, the many instrumentals, and the lyrics.  Their combination. 
Lines like "We seem destined to live in fear, And some that would say Armageddon is near.  But where there's a life while there's hope, That man won't self destruct..."  Or "Why can't we treat our fellow men, With more respect and a shake of their hands.  But anger and loathing is rife, The death on all sides is becoming a way of life..." are simply so... true.  The lyrics tell a story and use the story as a springboard into commenting on the state of the world and all the wars that are being fought.  Just amazing.

Then there's the soft build up towards heavy riffs, a good guitar solo, etc.  What's not to like?

Tough pick. Dance of Death for me though. It really draws me in further than the other songs do.

Urizen said:
DREAM OF MIRRORS- for me is a song that I just never get tired of. A masterpiece. The lyrics are transcending, and every time I hear them they change the atmosphere around me. The very title 'Dream of mirrors' sets you up for the curious contemplation the song slowly increases as the lyrics are sung. I love the mysterious beginning, slowly revealing the questions presented. I also enjoy the moment when the gallop starts and also the peak culmination of the song 'lost in a dream of mirrors, lost in a paradox, lost and time is spining, lost a dream that I retrace', followed by the fast guitar work.

I also very much like DOD and Legacy, but I'm in love with Dream of mirrors.
Ibid.

For me, it's between Lord of the Flies and Dream of Mirrors

Lord of the Flies is a great single, and one of the most interesting ones Maiden have released.  The entire opening section is a great experience, with each instrument using its own particular groove to add to the overall song.  The segue into the pre-verse 'chorus melody' riff is masterfully done, and Blaze's vocals really shine here.  The solo is instantly memorable, and the post-solo chant section is excellent as well.  Some very interesting lyrics, as well.

Dream of Mirrors is epic in every sense of the word.  The lyrics send a chill down the spine, and hearing the Rock in Rio crowd yelling 'The dream is true...' at the top of their voices is exhilarating.  Although it gets off to a fairly bizarre start with the 'Have you ever felt...' section, the following acoustic bridge settles the song into a better pace, which is carried through until the fast interlude cuts through the dreamscape with a nightmare of epic proportions.  The solos are similarly great on this track, as is the chant section.  One of the finest on Brave New World.

Just to eschew popular opinion, I'll go for Lord of the Flies. :p

I vote Dance Of Death. When I first listened to the whole album I didn't really care too much for it, but it grows on you. Dream Of Mirrors is a close 2nd.

Since you started a poll on the best Gers/Harris song, how about the best Murray/Harris song? I'd vote Still Life!

...or Rainmaker...or Benjamin Breeg...

Damn. I think Benjamin wins here  :ok:

Still Life close 2nd.

Powergirl81 said:
Since you started a poll on the best Gers/Harris song, how about the best Murray/Harris song?
You could always do one yourself. ;)

Back