Favourite (non-Maiden) albums by bandmembers

Forostar

Ancient Mariner
Let's see if we can make an overview of albums mentioned by individual band members. Even if the member in question does not literally say favourite album, him mentioning it must mean he'd really like it a lot. PLEASE ADD (at some point I'll try to update this opening post)

Here we go:

Nicko McBrain
Saga - Worlds Apart (1981)
Saga is one of Nicko McBrain's favourite bands and their fourth album Worlds Apart (1981) is his all time favourite album by any band. He said this in a fanzine.
220px-Saga_worlds_apart_alternative.jpg

US/Alternative cover:
220px-Saga_-_Worlds_Apart.jpg

Bruce Dickinson
While being on tour in Indonesia with Iron Maiden, Bruce Dickinson spoke to the local edition of the Rolling Stone magazine. In the interview he revealed his top 5 favourite albums of all time. We list them here so that you can commend him on his music tastes. “In no particular order”, here it is:

Deep Purple – Made in Japan:
220px-Deep_Purple_Made_in_Japan.jpg

Led Zeppelin – Led Zeppelin II:
220px-Led_Zeppelin_-_Led_Zeppelin_II.jpg

Jethro Tull – Aqualung:
220px-JethroTullAqualungalbumcover.jpg

The Crazy World of Arthur Brown – The Crazy World of Arthur Brown:
ArthurBrownTheCrazyWorldofArthurBrown.jpg

Rainbow – Rising:
220px-RainbowRainbowRising.jpg

Steve Harris
http://forum.maidenfans.com/posts/550882/
http://www.agentur-v.de/html/interview_-_englisch.html
You were an artrock fan?

Yea, I mean I think the Genesis album Foxtrot and especially Supper´s ready is the best thing I ever heard in my life. It´s fantastic. As a piece of music it´s so far ahead of its time. Some might think the sound is dated. These are old albums, but to me this is great music. I love Jethro Tull, too. Thick as brick, Passion play and Aqualung are fantastic albums. A lot of that´s been slacked off so badly in the British press, but to me Ian Anderson is a genius. I think it´s sad when people slack off stuff like his. He got so upset that he decided not to play the U.K. for a long time. I think that´s a big mistake, cause it´s not the people, it´s the press

Genesis - Foxtrot
220px-Foxtrot72.jpg

Genesis - Trick of the Tail
220px-Trick76.jpg

Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick
220px-JethroTullThickAsABrick.jpg

Jethro Tull - A Passion Play
220px-JethroTullAPassionPlay.jpg

Jethro Tull - Aqualung
220px-JethroTullAqualungalbumcover.jpg

Be-Bop Deluxe - Sunburst Finish
220px-Be_bop_sunburst_cover.jpg

Janick Gers
http://bravewords.com/videos/iron-m...-final-frontier-interview-part-ii-janick-gers
Deep Purple - Made in Japan
Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti
220px-Led_Zeppelin_-_Physical_Graffiti.jpg

Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny
220px-Sad_wings_of_destiny_cover.jpg

Last edited:
I think we can include Black Sabbath's first album as one of Bruce's favourite. He mentioned it several times on interviews.

In the 80's there was a very popular magazine here in Brazil called Revista Metal and on number 20 they had a list of the 10 favourite albums of Steve and Adrian. The pic is not good, but here it is:

revista-metal-20-1985.jpg

Everything I can come up with right now are a few individual songs mentioned by band members as having a great impact on them. It would probably be very interesting to compile a list of those as well.

Didn't Steve mention in Metal Hammer or Classic Rock recently that he's a big Nightwish fan?

Hadn't expected a Priest album in Steve's list either.

Pink Floyd - Animals to Harris list, please :)
Nice, that's one my own favs as well. I'll add it (when I have more time), (and you don't have to look it up) but do you remember where you read or heard that? Mostly Floyd is only mentioned among other bands, but an album, that's pretty cool.
Everything I can come up with right now are a few individual songs mentioned by band members as having a great impact on them. It would probably be very interesting to compile a list of those as well.
Yeah, I came across various songs as well. Would be interesting to do indeed.
Didn't Steve mention in Metal Hammer or Classic Rock recently that he's a big Nightwish fan?
Yes, but I am trying to limit it to albums.
Great thread btw, @Forostar :)
Cheers!

I don't have the quote handy, but I recall Steve Harris as saying that "Love to Love" by UFO was his favorite song.

Great thread Foro. For Steve, you could add dutch band Golden Earring: their Contraband album is one of Steve's favorites, and Fighting Windmills one of his favorites songs ever. As for Nightwish, he is litteraly mad with Dark Passion Play (the whole stuff, not just one song).

I think we can include Black Sabbath's first album as one of Bruce's favourite. He mentioned it several times on interviews.

In the 80's there was a very popular magazine here in Brazil called Revista Metal and on number 20 they had a list of the 10 favourite albums of Steve and Adrian. The pic is not good, but here it is:

revista-metal-20-1985.jpg

LOL!

Blackie Lawless' number 1 album ..... Judas Priest - Creaming for Vengeance.

Pretty sure that Bruce listed Black sabbath - Sabbath bloody sabbath as one of his favorite albums on a small biography about Bruce on BBC's website when he did that radio show. Also some of those already listed in the OP was in that list to.

Nicko is a big fan of Keith Moon and The Who. All the three guitarist love Hendrix, I know Dave said he really loved Electric Ladyland when he grew up, and that Voodoo Child was the song that made him want to become a guitarist. Deep purple - Highway Star made Adrian want to become a guitarist. All of this is written in the Run to the hills biography.

I also remember an interview of Steve a while ago, where they asked him if he liked Metallica, and he replied that they are a great band and that he loves the Load album!

Good memory @Sth2112! Although in fact it was their self-titled debut that he mentioned. According to this archived version of Bruce's BBC Radio 6 Music bio, Bruce's 6 albums he couldn't live without are:

* Deep Purple - Made In Japan
* Rainbow - Rising
* Jethro Tull - Aqualung
* Bruce Dickinson -The Chemical Wedding
* Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
* Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II

(all mentioned above except Sabbath)

Strangers In The Night doesn't surprise me. I listened to it yesterday and it's amazing. You can work out a lot of influences on their songwriting from it.

Back