Favourite (non-Maiden) albums by bandmembers

Discussion in 'Maiden Chat' started by Forostar, Dec 21, 2015.

1. 'Tis that. Also, I'm assuming it was also slightly tongue-in-cheek.

2. Kalata

Kalata Out of the Silent Planet

3. srfc

srfc Ancient Mariner

I've got a flexi disc that came free with Metal Hammer in 92 which contains and interview with Steve (and Bruce). He says they were trying to get Van Halen on the bill for Donington 92.

4. GhostofCain

GhostofCain Ancient Mariner

You can add a couple of Van der Graaf Generator's albums to Bruce's list:

Pawn Hearts
    H to He Who Am the Only One

You can hear some of that on Empire of the Clouds.

5. GhostofCain

Steve really likes Beckett's only album (no shit Sherlock! :lol:) and Nektar's A Tab in the Ocean.

Both Steve and Bruce are big fans of that masterpiece that is Argus by Wishbone Ash.

6. John Silver

John Silver Electric Buddy

Didn't he once state - during some interview - that he really liked Soul Cages by Sting and also Soundgarden?

7. GhostofCain

He also likes Benito Lertxundi, but neither of his albums nor those you have highlighted tend to be mentioned by him when talking about his favourite albums of all time. ;)

8. Black Abyss Babe

Black Abyss Babe Ocean soul

Surprised it took so long for this to be mentioned. Steve said that if anyone wanted to understand the twin guitars in the early Maiden albums all they needed to do was listen to Argus. So I did and guess what? Steve was right!

9. Black Abyss Babe

In the most recent FC mag Janick says that "one of [his] favourite Deep Purple albums" is Fireball.

10. GhostofCain

Argus is definitely one of my desert island discs. An absolute masterpiece.

11. Black Abyss Babe

Agreed. I actually ended up seeing Wishbone Ash live last month, when they came to Southampton. I was aware of a great sense of gratitude - to them because they inspired Maiden, and also to Steve because if he hadn't named them as a primary influence I would never have heard of them. And I would have missed out on one hell of a great band!

12. GhostofCain

Do not miss Martin Turner (bass player/singer of classic Wishbone Ash) if he plays in your neck of the woods. Probably more classic Wishbone Ash nowadays than Andy Powell's band.