• Dance Of Death

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • A Matter Of Life And Death

Votes: 21 12.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Genghis Khan said:
Are you saying that The Trooper is a weak song AND overplayed OR are you saying that The Trooper is simply overplayed?

Great summary and welcome, mate!

I'm saying that Trooper rocks, it's just that it got overplayed and it lost a bit of it's touch due to that fact. I'm simply not enthusiastic to hear the Trooper any more like i was when i first heard it, but it's still a great rocker!

HBTN is also overplayed...but it remained the same...don't know, perhaps the song is longer, more progressive and packed with different parts, while the Trooper is a simple rocker, couple of blazing riffs and solos and that's it.

Thanks for the welcome! :)

Posted on: Today at 08:15:51Posted by: Eddies Wingman 

Yay, another poster who appreciates "Flash of the Blade". Would be a nice surprise if they would play that one (or The Duellists, imagine how cool that mid section could become with three guitars!). Just for mentioning a song outside the typical four as one of your favourites, I'll give you a praise. 

Yeah The Duellists would sound amazing with three guitars :wub:

I hope they will play Flash of The Blade at Wacken next year :ok:

Zare said:
I'm saying that Trooper rocks, it's just that it got overplayed and it lost a bit of it's touch due to that fact. I'm simply not enthusiastic to hear the Trooper any more like i was when i first heard it, but it's still a great rocker!

HBTN is also overplayed...but it remained the same...don't know, perhaps the song is longer, more progressive and packed with different parts, while the Trooper is a simple rocker, couple of blazing riffs and solos and that's it.

Thanks for the welcome! :)

I know what you mean.  I feel the same about Run to the Hills, Fear of the Dark and The Trooper too, to an extent.  I can't get enough of Aces High or 2 Minutes to Midnight, however, precisely because these two songs seem a bit more intricate to me.

1. Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
2. Brave New World
3. Piece Of Mind
4. A Matter Of Life And Death
5. The Number Of The Beast
6. Powerslave
7. The X Factor
8. Somewhere In Time
9. Dance Of Death
10. Iron Maiden
11. Fear Of The Dark
12. Killers
13. No Prayer For The Dying
14. Virtual XI

Brave new world was my favourite but A matter of life and death will remain my fav forever bcoz all the songs are so maidenly defined.

A matter of life and death got my vote - a fantastic piece of work - hopefully there`ll be more of the same to come !

I had to vote for Somewhere in Time, after much deliberation between that, Killers and Seventh Son. I can listen to SiT no matter what mood or situation i am in and enjoy it every single time.

That and its got Alexander on it which is so good it should come with a health warning.

Special mention has to go to No Prayer... which was the 1st Maiden album i bought. It literally blew me away so to find out how many albums they had that were infinitely better was something of a Brucey bonus really!

Oh gosh I can't decide... Im gonna have to go with Powerslave since it was the first Maiden album I purchased and still my favorite overall album besides Piece of Mind.

I already posted here, and looking at my post, some things have changed, especially regarding AMOLAD and Dance Of Death. I wanted to sum up a 1-14 list, from my favourite to my least favourite, but i can't, since sometimes i enjoy one album more, on the other times less. But i could do a blurry scale...

Somewhere In Time - grand champion, weltmeister, ruler of the world, supreme Soviet if you wish, by a longshot.

Seventh Son - strong runner up, number two.
A Matter Of Life And Death, Powerslave and Piece Of Mind may change between places 3, 4, and 5, depending on the mood.
Brave New World and Dance Of Death shift between sixth and seventh place.

Iron Maiden, The Number Of The Beast and No Prayer For The Dying can all be eight, ninth or tenth.
Fear Of The Dark, Killers and Virtual XI - dancing around 11, 12, and 13.
The X Factor comes last.

I love everything with classic line-up in it, be it with or without Janick. Still, quality, musicianship and energy of material from '83-'88 won't happen anytime soon for any band of any genre, and didn't happen before either. It's not "golden years" for no reason. I'm a great fan of progressive, synth-backed, '80s influenced sound of SIT and SSOASS. In that age, they were at apex of their musicianship, everyone except Bruce who sometimes failed to deliver satisfactory live performance. However, AMOLAD seriously jeopardises the positions of Powerslave and Piece Of Mind. AMOLAD repesents the eight year evolution of sound and music direction that Maiden took when Adrian and Bruce returned. The music is complex, lyrics intriguing, virtually no fillers. It's probably the main reason why it's sometimes ahead of Powerslave on my list...ROTAM, Powerslave, Aces High, and 2 Minutes To Midnight are better songs than best AMOLAD songs (for me, that would be Lord Of Light, Different World, Brighter Than A Thousand Suns and Benjamin Breeg). But, the other songs off Powerslave are a lot weaker than rest of AMOLAD material. Piece Of Mind has two clean-sheet fillers, one extremely overplayed song, the rest is superb.

Next would come BNW and DOD. Brave New World was a beginning of 21st century Maiden. It has a lot of quality material, production is excellent (especially drums!), but it hasn't developed the new Maiden scheme like two most recent albums. DOD is quite developed in that way, but it also features a filler or two, suffers from production that i don't like and really bad mastering, however the solo sections are great, and so are melodies.

My previous "review" of Iron Maiden stands. No Prayer also, but i forgot to say that i really, really like some moments of this album, therefore it has a place in my top ten and probably never drops to tenth place. TNOTB has changed in my ears a lot. Looking at song by song, i would place HBTN and The Prisoner as superb songs, with Hallowed Be Thy Name deserving special place because i think it totally changed the world of hard rock. It's indeed an unofficial Maiden anthem, at least for real fans. It has been voted around net or magazine reviews as the best metal song ever, and the dual guitar solo section has been mentioned in the same vein. Avenue and Children Of The Damned would come as great, Total Eclipse as good. Rest - mediocre at best.

Fear Of The Dark stands, as does VXI, but Killers, same as TNOTB. I dig only a few songs out of this one. Prodigial Son, Killers, Twilight Zone, Purgatory. Even Wrathchild doesn't sound as good as the current line-up delivers it, not by any chance. Rest doesn't just fit into my ultimate Maiden playlist.

TXF stands also. What i would like to say, that my least favourite, 14th ranking Maiden record is better than 98.5% of the rest of music from rest of bands i heard, and i heard a lot.

And, i'll just quote one guy from wikipedia comments, named "Kluner.net";

I think on the matter of best Maiden song ever, you will at best have a hung jury, and at worst a full out bloody massacre

And he's right.

It changes all the time.....but right now:

14.Virtual XI (meh...)
13.The X Factor (not my style)
12.No Prayer For The Dying (I haven't listened to it too much)
11.Killers (great but I like the debut better)
10.Fear of the Dark (decent)
9.Dance of Death (the weakest album from the present era)
8.A Matter of Life and Death (really good)
7.Iron Maiden (classic debut)
6.Brave New World (what a comeback....)
5.Piece of Mind (my first connection with Maiden)
4.Somewhere In Time (the atmosphere on this album is soooooooooooo wicked)
3.The Number of the Beast (it contains my favorite metal song ever: HBTN)
2.Powerslave (need any explanation?)
1.Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (every concept album is a WIN for me, so this will probably remain my fav)

Right now,

14. Fear Of The Dark
13. Killers
12. Virtual XI
11. The X Factor
10. Iron Maiden
9. Brave New World
8. Dance Of Death
7. The Number Of The Beast
6. No Prayer For The Dying
5. Powerslave
4. Piece Of  Mind
3. A Matter Of Life And Death
2. Seventh Son Of The Seventh Son
1. Somewhere In Time.

TXF jumped up from last place. I seriously started enjoying several songs from that record. Guess you just need to be in the moood...

My favourite 4 albums are (in no particular order)

Piece of Mind (mastery, I can find every trait I love about IM in this album)
Powerslave (controlled but vicious energy. Like lightning)
Brave New World (maturity. To me it still remains as the best album after reunion)
Iron Maiden (raw energy. Underproduced sound amplifies the effect it feels so sincere)

Hmm, this is a tough one, but I'd have to say:

Piece of Mind
Powerslave
Brave New World
Dance of Death

Changing my vote to SSOASS

My list kind of changes all the time, this week, it's probably something like:

-Seven son of a seventh son
-powerslave
-the number of the beast
-a matter of life and death
-piece of mind
-somehwere in time
-brave new world
-dance of death
-the x factor
-iron maiden
-fear of the dark
-no prayer for the dying
-virtual xi
-killers

It changes an awful lot, but i voted Iron Maiden. I love the "Production" on it. And the songs are pretty much all amazing.
Prowler is probably my favourite Iron Maiden song. Dont you just love that tiny bit of feedback before the lead part comes in at the intro? mmmm.
But, it probably goes like this right now:

1. Iron Maiden
2. SSoaSS
3. Somewhere in Time
4. Virtual X1
5. NPFTD

Virtual XI came out of nowhere- Ive been listening to it for the past two days, and i noticed i really like all the songs.
And "NPFTD?!" I hear you cry......The good songs are REALLY good....the bad songs are REALLY bad. There just happens to be a few more good songs on that album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back