Favorite Iron Maiden Voice

Who is your favourite Iron Maiden vocalist?

• Paul Di'Anno

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Bruce Dickinson

Votes: 136 87.2%
  • Blaze Bayley

Votes: 9 5.8%

• Total voters
[!--QuoteBegin-Baxer van Deris+Jun 26 2005, 09:04 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Baxer van Deris @ Jun 26 2005, 09:04 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]"Didn't notice much difference" ? You must be joking...
[snapback]110034[/snapback]​
[/quote]

The first songs I heard with Blaze was Blood On The World's hands and The Clansman, both of which are some of Maiden's best IMO.

However, I didn't realise it wasn't Dickinson at first, cause after hearing Journeyman and Fear Of The Dark, I figured Bruce was one of those guys that could sing in 20 different tones if he so desired.

When I first heard Bruce singing NOTB on ARLDO, I thought it was someone else...

i prefer bruces voice it has a strong feeling to it!! and he can really hold those notes perfectly well its uncanny

Paul DiAnno! the man is a nutter, but I really enjoy the first albums, eventhough Bruce has definitivly taken the band to a level DiAnno never could have followed.

Bruce hands down! Can't imagine how scared I would have been if I was into Maiden during the time Bruce-Bruce left.... (couldn't have, 'cause I was only six years old at the time) The sheer rumour of Di'Anno returning would have had me crying out in extreme agony... Not that I dislike his singing or anything, in fact I think he has the perfect voice for songs like 'Running Free' or 'Drifter'... But Bruce has put the band at such a high level, Di'Anno would only have ruïned his legacy returning to the band (if he didn't already havin' too many drinks)... I'm glad Blaze took over for a while, because he isn't that bad of a vocalist and he made us appreciate Bruce even more...
(excuse me if my English was bad, for I am a schoolgoing Dutch kid [!--emo&:lol:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--] )

Bruce Dickinson!! There is none better to sing an Iron Maiden song. In my eyes, they should re-do X Factor and Virtual XI with Bruce, Just to show the uncanny godliness he has.

All the singers are great, and each one is (almost) perfectly suited to the music that Maiden were producing at the time - for instance, (imo) Paul sounds better than Bruce on tracks such as Prowler and Wrathchild, and I love the different feel on the two Blaze albums.

However, I think Maiden's best music was produced while Bruce was at his best (NOTB through to SSoaSS), and like most people think that he is simply a superior singer.

[!--QuoteBegin-Killua404+Aug 4 2005, 02:22 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Killua404 @ Aug 4 2005, 02:22 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Bruce Dickinson!! There is none better to sing an Iron Maiden song. In my eyes, they should re-do X Factor and Virtual XI with Bruce, Just to show the uncanny godliness he has.
[snapback]114021[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Dear god, no. The butchery of songs like Lord of the Flies, Man on the Edge, Futureal, Sign of the Cross would be too much to say. Blaze did an amazing job on those albums, since they were written for his unique vocal style. Just like Blaze butchered some songs like Run to the Hills, Bruce would destroy those albums. (With the possible exception of The Clansman, the RiR version is only decent, but the 99' boot versions are horrid, and the 03' boots are actually really damn good).

Bruce Dickinson has the biggest range of voice and can sing in different styles. (check out Be Quick Or Be Dead and Afraid To Shoot Strangers from Fear Of The Dark album as proof). The other two singers are primadonnas with Di'Anno being obsessed with the "Sex, Drugs and Rock n' Roll" lifestyle and Blaze Bayley being a talentless poser.

[!--QuoteBegin-conorsdaman@hotmail.com+Aug 4 2005, 04:35 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(conorsdaman@hotmail.com @ Aug 4 2005, 04:35 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]The other two singers are primadonnas with Di'Anno being obsessed with the "Sex, Drugs and Rock n' Roll" lifestyle and Blaze Bayley being a talentless poser.
[snapback]114033[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Paul had some awesome vocal moments on songs such as "Remember Tomorrow", "Strange World", "Murders In The Rue Morgue" or "Killers". Just because he was living the Rock 'n Roll lifestyle doesn't mean he is a bad singer.

Blaze Bayley is everything else than a talentless loser. Everybody will admit that he does not have the same vocal range as Bruce, and many people will agree that he butchers some of Bruces songs (such as "The Trooper") live. But, as far as I am concerned, Blaze has a terrific voice if he sings what he is meant to sing. I'm not going to point out what his best vocal performances are; I think they are all good.
And if, for some odd reason, "The X-Factor" or "Virtual XI" don't don't convince you of that, I can only direct you to his albums with B L A Z E.

By the way, pointing out "Be Quick Or Be Dead" as one of Bruces supposedly best performances is somewhat odd to me- in fact, I think it's one of his very worst.

The two parts of your argument don't correspond to each other [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-conorsdaman@hotmail.com+Aug 4 2005, 07:35 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(conorsdaman@hotmail.com @ Aug 4 2005, 07:35 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Bruce Dickinson has the biggest range of voice and can sing in different styles.  (check out Be Quick Or Be Dead and Afraid To Shoot Strangers from Fear Of The Dark album as proof). 
[/quote]
As for Bruce's singing style, I'm sure there are other opinions, especially concerning his work on Fear of the Dark.

[!--QuoteBegin-conorsdaman@hotmail.com+Aug 4 2005, 07:35 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(conorsdaman@hotmail.com @ Aug 4 2005, 07:35 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]The other two singers are primadonnas with Di'Anno being obsessed with the "Sex, Drugs and Rock n' Roll" lifestyle and Blaze Bayley being a talentless poser.
[/quote]
I wonder how you would back up a statement like this...

Bruce because he was the first Maiden voice I heard and quickly became one of my favorite singers. Seeing them live has only reaffirmed my opinion of his singing ability.

[!--QuoteBegin-JFL 666+Jun 21 2005, 06:16 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(JFL 666 @ Jun 21 2005, 06:16 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Blaze : I'm not saying he's a bad singer but not for Maiden. His style is miles away from the vintage Maiden sound. I think the Blaze years were not good for Maiden but I'm not putting the blame on him.
[snapback]109367[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I don't agree with you here. I think that the two albums with Blaze are awesome, and far superior to the two albums with Bruce preceding his departure. As for not producing the 'vintage Maiden sound', he's obviously not going to sound exactly like Bruce, but the music remained just as good as before, and Blaze's voice was well suited to it.

By the way, pointing out "Be Quick Or Be Dead" as one of Bruces supposedly best performances is somewhat odd to me- in fact, I think it's one of his very worst.
[snapback]114034[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I wasn't saying this is one of his greatest vocal performances, just demmonstrating the range of his voice. The difference between the grittiness here and the melodic soulful voice in ATSS.

[!--QuoteBegin-Valerus+Aug 6 2005, 06:06 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Valerus @ Aug 6 2005, 06:06 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Dickinson.
[snapback]114215[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Damn! How are you able to post this? This totally makes clear WHY you think Dickinson is the best, doesn't it? [!--emo&:huh:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/huh.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'huh.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Both Bruce and Paul is very good on studio albums but Bruce is better live so....i have to say Bruce!

Dickinson is my hands-down favourite for all the reasons already detailed here, not the least of which is the fact that he works a crowd like no one else could. I believe some of his best performances were on songs like "Aces High" (actually, pretty much all of "Powerslave") and "The Wicker Man"...songs in which he could really let go and allow his voice to soar. He's pretty damn good at the slower songs too, but he's flawless on the fast songs. I actually think Bruce's version of "Sign of the Cross" was far better than Blaze's.

But Paul is a close second. He's extremely energetic (I haven't heard him outside of Maiden, however) and his style fit the songs he sang fairly well. I especially like "Phanotom of the Opera," and I don't think any other vocalist could capture the mood of that song as well as he could.

As for Blaze...I picked up The X Factor just recently and I really wanted to like his voice, but I don't think Blaze's voice fits the style of Maiden's music. I'm not saying he's a bad vocalist, just that he often seems to fall flat during Maiden's songs. I suppose I just prefer Bruce's and Paul's (no matter how different they are) more charismatic, energetic voices...that's Maiden to me.

Of course, it may also be the fault of the band. None of the songs on The X Factor really stood out for me the way the songs on, say, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son or Piece of Mind caught my attention.

I agree with Hanyou's post entirely... Same reasons why I prefer Bruce, then Paul, then Blaze.

Back