El Dorado

How good is El Dorado on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Daily Song: El Dorado

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: El Dorado

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

A great gallop, a herald to Maiden songs of old, Bruce is on fire, the band kicks ass. A good rocker that I over listened to and forgot how good it was, but now I am discovering it again. Solid 8/10.

Re: Daily Song: El Dorado

One of the strongest in their whole catalogue.

Mostly riff and vocal driven. Energy just sparks out of this one.

One hard 9.

When I first heard this before the album came out (the only song I listen to before I listened to the whole album in full), I kinda liked the song, but was hoping that this wasn't to be one of the best of the album. Currently, I'm kinda bored with it. The Maiden gallop features predominantly, but I'm not really a huge fan of the song overall. Instrumental section is decent, but I don't like the chorus at all. 6/10.

Unknown One said:
When I first heard this before the album came out (the only song I listen to before I listened to the whole album in full), I kinda liked the song, but was hoping that this wasn't to be one of the best of the album.

That was my initial reaction too. Surprisingly, it has grown rather than faded. Love the AC/DC style riff and the over-the-top gallop. Musically, it's playfully self-aware with the genre, but not parody — reminiscent of the movie Scream. Great, biting lyric, driving rhythm, catchy chorus and each of the amigos rips off a solo that is so recognizably theirs. A latter-day Two Minutes to Midnight. Nine

'El Dorado' is neither good nor bad, in fact there's nothing exciting about it.
They'd better play 'Mother Of Mercy' live rather than this one.
(7/10)

Damn strong song. Has an epic-evil touch and that's so great. Some people underestimate this song, but it's badass. A strong 9/10.

One of the worst off TFF (but thats not saying much) with a good chorus, though the verses aren't too great IMO. 8/10.

To the derisive scorn of almost everyone else on here, this is seriously my favorite post-reunion song. I was initially confused by this song when it was released last summer--not sure what to think, but it keeps getting better. From the Heart-inspired riff, to the Bruce's snarl (even an evil laugh reminiscent of Killers), to the three quick but sterling solos, this song has everything. For me it harkens back to Piece of mind era Maiden but also sound fresh and new, abound with energy. It is reverant of the past without bneing referential, and it was one of the live highlights of the U.S. tour last year. One of the few songs on TFF (or any post-2000, really) that doesn't drag. Standout. Easy 10.

10. Easily a 10. I love this track. Best on the album. The rousing chorus, the thunderous gallop, the telling lyrics, the lot.

8/10- this is actually pretty old school Maiden sounding.  I loved it when they previewed it last Summer and really didn't get the hate lots of folks had for it.  Aside from the unnecessary outro (the intro works as a tie to the title track) and Bruce going a bit too high in the chorus it's a good song.  Gallop?  Check.  3 good guitar solos?  Check.  Clever lyrics?  Check.

This song comes across even better live when the chorus is helped with additional background vocals from H and Steve.  Good song, not the best off the album, but still quite good.

Cosmiceddie said:
'El Dorado' is neither good nor bad, in fact there's nothing exciting about it. They'd better play 'Mother Of Mercy' live rather than this one. (7/10)
I feel kinda the same. The song is just mediocre. I suppose it works well for the band to release one of the less interesting songs as a first single. I dig how the song ends the same way it begins, with the crashing chords and drums/cymbals and everything... pretty cool.

5/10

LooseCannon said:
A great gallop, a herald to Maiden songs of old, Bruce is on fire, the band kicks ass. A good rocker that I over listened to and forgot how good it was, but now I am discovering it again. Solid 8/10.

I agree, but put it just a smidge higher for the lyrics - not necessarily their content, but their meter and how they work so well with the music. The prime example of this is "I know someone just like you knows someone just like me." I actually do like the lyrics and their content, but don't think they're about bankers/financial crises, but instead they're about the politicians that create financial crises... sell you the dream that everyone can have el dorado without doing anything for it, that they can just create money with their fingers (or take it from people who earn it) and the pyramids of gold will arise.

I'm giving it an 8.8, which I've rounded up to a 9. Solid, solid, solid song.

6/10. Least favourite song on the album. There are elements that I like... all three solos are good, and it gallops along in a classic way. Cool lyrics, but Bruce's vocal doesn't work for me, and the chorus really doesn't work for me. I was bummed out that this was the only new material they played last summer on the Canadian leg of the tour.

I loved this song when it came out and it was playing non stop until the album! Great soloing, classic gallop and the pre chorus is so awesome! 10/10

It made a strong first impression, and was great live. It gets overshadowed by most other songs on the album ... that might be because it was old hat when every other song came out fresh.

I went 8, but it's more like 8.45 ... just short of rounding up to a 9.

Bruce really slaughtered this chorus live for me!! Made me appreciate the song a lot more.

Fugazi said:
I downloaded this from IM.com when it was made available and I was very impressed indeed, it sure did whet my appetite for the TFF album, it is a good solid track 10/10.

It was a 10 back then and it is still a 10 now.

Good song with interesting lyrics, good chorus and fantastic solos. I don't like the beginning/ending though. 8/10.

7. I can't get it to 8, it's a good song, very strong and relevant lyrics, full of energy, but lacks something. Live version is far better.

Back