1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

El Dorado

Discussion in 'The Final Frontier' started by Travis The Dragon, Aug 2, 2010.

?

How good is El Dorado on a scale of 1-10?

1. 10

16.1%
  2. 9

12.9%
  3. 8

29.0%
  4. 7

19.4%
  5. 6

3.2%
  6. 5

16.1%
  7. 4

3.2%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Yorktown-class aircraft carrier Staff Member

Still has the most plays of any song in my iTunes. 8/10.

2. BeThyJames

BeThyJames Trooper

That gallop might be the best they've ever done, certainly in the reunion era! Seriously that bass riff is one of the catchiest I've ever heard and I love Bruce's understated vocals in the verses. The chorus does stretch Bruce's voice too far though, much like Mother of Mercy. It's still a blistering track though.

3. MrKnickerbocker

MrKnickerbocker clap hands

7/10

El Dorado opens with a dramatic smashing of all the instruments before a Barracuda-like riff cuts through. We see the first fault in Steve Harris’ arrangements here. Word is that Steve began having more fun arranging riffs by his band mates into full songs and writing lyrics over them than he did writing songs all on his own. It shows on El Dorado, where the different parts sound slightly off, like they don't fit together. Some great Dickinson lyrics, told from the point of view of a deceitful shyster, save the day. His voice sounds oddly compressed, though. It's a strange choice of single, but a solid song. El Dorado also boasts a great bridge and triple solo section. The dynamics of this album are already quite varied, with the songs taking a lot of time to breathe in between chunky chord riffs.