Dream Theater

I see so much dislike for the self-titled album, but I honestly think it is one of their most consistent and well-written records. ADTOE was solid but not as consistent, and the final three albums with Portnoy were mostly beyond weak. The Astonishing was so absurd and grandiose and while it had a few solid songs, the ridiculous story killed it for me.

I hope they go back to letting Myung and Mangini co-write. The Astonishing suffered for it (there’s ONE standout bass line on the entire record), but it showed on the self-titled.

My view of the self-titled mirrors that of The Book of Souls. Solid songwriting, but it just sounds like the band doing the same old same old to me.

Maybe not directly related to your discussion but I went through the Falling into infinity album the other day. I actually forgot what a great band they were. And I am saying that cause I haven't really followed them after Mike left.

I do like some of the riffing in TCOT but otherwise yea that’s a pretty good example. Also Outcry, The Dark Eternal Night, Breaking All Illusions.

I am glad to hear JLB participating in the writing sessions on the new album for this reason. Hopefully the songs are more organic and the vocal parts fit in better. I thought SDOIT had a good balance with this.

The little clip of Mangini posted yesterday definitely sounded quite good. Like a SDOIT or ADTOE type song.

"DT photo shoot today."

41669993_2136043366447664_4285103078971015168_n.jpg

41581874_10214991298608691_2486560922198343680_n.jpg

JP needs to start drinking an ultra filtered milk with no Artificial Growth Hormones.

I want to hear new DT already. Hoping for something equal to the sonic quality of Black Clouds and the songwriting of Scenes From a Memory. Also interested in hearing JP play an 8-string. I've always admired his roaring yet super tight low end but is there a point where it all starts to sound mushy and collide with the bass frequencies?

John "Never skip breast day" Petrucci always delivers. He hasn't gone galactic overlord mode in the last two albums, though.

I'm on a DT binge right now (not exclusively I do still listen to other stuff as well) and wow, it's been ages since I've heard some of these albums. I've heard When Dream and Day Unite and Images and Words so far...moving on to the Marquee live album after that. Looking forward to catching up since the selftitled and the Astonishing are two albums I never got around to.

Hopefully I can keep this binge going until the new album drops, I've heard that it could come out sometime early 2019. Anybody in the know?

@SixesAlltheway what is the longest time you've spent binging on Dream Theater?

I discovered them in 1999 with Scenes from a Memory and listened to them I would say fairly regularly until about 2004 (really liked Train of Thought at the time too) I fell off after that though and basically every album since then I've perhaps only heard once or twice and the last two releases I still haven't heard.

Back