Dream Theater

I love Rick Beato’s channel and try to watch everything he puts up. So much variety too. There are interviews like that one there, gear talk, audio production advice, and even advanced music theory lessons. Anyone who is a musician (especially guitar players) should be checking him out.

I love Rick Beato’s channel and try to watch everything he puts up. So much variety too. There are interviews like that one there, gear talk, audio production advice, and even advanced music theory lessons. Anyone who is a musician (especially guitar players) should be checking him out.

Yeah. I also enjoy his "What makes this song great" videos ;)

The new album 'Distance Over Time' (speed?) will be released in February.

The cover:

dreamtheaterdistanceovertimecd.jpg

And some US tour dates:

dreamtheatertourdatesnov2018.jpg

Celebrating 20 years of 'Scenes From a Memory'! :eek: I hope they do this in Europe too, specifically the UK of course, as I simply have to see 'Home' live. :notworthy:

I'm obviously excited about a new album, and I'm very pleasantly surprised by the fact that they already have U.S. tour dates announced (hey, their playing Chicago 4 days after my birthday!) but I'm feeling conflicted about the Scenes From a Memory celebration. They already covered that album recently with the encore of the DT12 tour.

I would honestly much prefer a more balanced set that included songs from a wide range of albums, (obviously with a heavy dose of the new one) then a set that only really consists of the new album, (who knows how good it'll even be? :innocent:) and SFAM.

Wonder when the tracklist is going to be announced. That's pretty important for me because DT has been prone to doing overlong albums for a while now.

Sounds cool. I like the simple cover design. I’m guessing based off the press that the musical content will be similarly to the point.

I’m kinda with Lampwick on the SFAM thing. They played a good chunk of that album live not too long ago. I’d rather see them focus more on the new album or something that isn’t played live as often (like Octavarium or The Glass Prison).

Why did my notifications to this thread go off? Fuck yes, NEW DT!!! I like the cover art a lot. Celebrating Scenes From a Memory as well, holy shit, please bring it to Europe.

New album cover looks cool, tour dates look good (something tells me we're in for another Chicago Theatre show), and that sound snippet is...fine. It sounds kind of like a BC&SL or ADTOE song, which could go either way in terms of quality. The drum sound is solid, though!

As for the tour, I'd rather see them switch things up but I also would love to see a full SFAM production (though I doubt JLB can sing it).

Damnit DT! No PNW dates again!

I thought it was bad enough I missed Images and Words but now in all likelihood I'll miss SFAM too. :facepalm:

They're the last of 2 bands on my bucketlist that I need to see.

I'll see if my Friend in Reno wants to do a drive to San Francisco.

Last edited:
I wasn't aware that Dream Theater's 2014 setlist had a special encore of 'Scenes From a Memory' songs as I wasn't able to see them at their own show on that tour due to financial and geographical constraints. The only show I got to on the Along for the Ride Tour was a festival (Sonisphere setlist) and the regular setlist didn't have 'Home' anyway. :nonono: The prospect of seeing 'Home' live makes me excited about seeing Dream Theater again as the insane ticket prices have been putting me off. I think they charge more than Iron Maiden.:confused: I decided to wait for the new album to see if I like it enough before buying a ticket for another Dream Theater concert, but this 'Scenes From a Memory' anniversary makes me excited. :dancinggeek: Give me 'Home' and I can probably drop Dream Theater live shows all together as after seeing 'A Change of Seasons' last year I won't need to see them ever again.

Fingers crossed.

I’d be cool with Home in the set list, as I don’t think they’ve played that since Portnoy was in the band. Beyond This Life would be another good one.

The thought of seeing those songs from SFAM has be excited. Maybe if I sell my Majesty guitar I can afford to go.

Back