Don't Look to the Eyes of a Stranger

How good is Don't Look to the Eyes of a Stranger on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
First time I heard this song I thought it was on repeat, but it was only the first listening :) Maiden's most repetitive song, but not so bad. 6/10.

I don't think the repetition is all that bad. It's a good song, even if you notice Blaze's limits here and there (during parts of the verses). Perhaps not a forgotten diamond, but a gem nevertheless. 8/10.

Here, you can read other visitors' comments on 'Don't Look To The Eyes Of A Stranger' as well as post your own. Any contribution to the commentary will be much appreciated, may it be cultural references relevant to the song (links to related websites, interpretations that may have been overlooked in the Commentary, and the like) or personal essays related to the topic of the song. Just be aware that messages that are either off-topic or too wacky may be deleted.

In the old days when using cassette, i would slightly speed up the guitar solos at the end it made it so much better in my opinion :)

I listened to VXI recently after a very (very!) long while, and the whole repetitive instrumental section in this song was just comical. It reminded me of those Benny Hill sequences where people chase each other in fast motion. Then I pictured clowns chasing each other in fast motion and I couldn't stop laughing.

I'm confused, maybe I didn't hear you correctly...you want me to look to the eyes of a stranger, right? Maybe you should tell me one more time.

I would've given this a 3, but that Super Nintendo unison battle and solo section is just spectacular.

Steve Harris taught me to not take candy from shady men and come into their van. Thank you Steve, I don't know what my childhood would have been like without this song.

Love this song! 10/10. For some reason, Maiden's repetition never seems to bother me, and I could listen to the guitar tone on this song for days. Also Janick and Dave's solos in this are maybe my favorite pairing in any Maiden song. I really like Blaze on this song too, sounds great during the build up.

The drums during the fast section are so bad they get funny.I would say it's got some nice melodies.However the repetition is only doing things worse.Yet another "epic" that made me feel uncomfortable for Steve.

This song isn't good. The verse melody is quite good but then the chorus is boring to my ears and it doesn't get better by the synths and the bad production. Then comes the repetition which seems to never end. The instrumental section can't save the song this time around either as is sounds uninspired. The only good thing in the instrumental section is Daves solo, it's quite cool! But overall not a good song.

4/10

I like this song very much. Fast part after clean is AMAZING!
And this song is full of guitar ''tricks''.
10/10

You can see my cover of this song!

Last edited:
Underrated song. Interesting new idea in the instrumental section near the end, which doesn't sound like anything Maiden did before (or since). 8 out of 10 from me

Back