Don't Look to the Eyes of a Stranger

How good is Don't Look to the Eyes of a Stranger on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: Don't Look to the Eyes of a Stranger

Exactly. Your personal experience with Maiden, in general, seems to be very bland, by your own rankings. They're certainly not your favorite band, but that's not anything bad at all. I just find weird that both great, good, average or bad songs range usually from 6 to 7.

You may or may not notice that I have given out a fair number of 10 rankings, along with many 9's. These I reserve for the cream... 7's and 8's are for good songs that have something I have deemed not quite right...6's are for songs that I'm not big on, but have found elements that I like. 5's are for what I deem filler, and I think I've only given one 4. I believe it was mckindog that said that 1, 2, and 3 were variations of crap and that Maiden didn't go there... I agree. My rhapsodizing reviews and stratospheric rankings have for the most part been unseen for a reason... we haven't got far enough for me to write them yet. I notice that my rankings of the first two albums are considerably higher than most's... if you're looking for my rave reviews so far, that's where you'll find 'em. Personal preference... go fucking figure...
Jeffmetal said:
  They're certainly not your favorite band, but that's not anything bad at all.
By the way, you're out of line. And wrong.

The last couple minutes are excellent, but before that it has Maiden's worst ever instrumental section. 5.

It's not that bad. I like it, the intro is cool and later parts are good too. I just don't like the dead simple drums. 7/10

Well.

It's a 7 in the first 3 minutes. Then it goes into the slow part.
Now the slow part is actually pretty cool. I like the sorta-sounds-like-violins think going on through the song, which continues here. What I don't like here is the drums. I almost never notice the drums, good or bad, but here I feel they are barely even there.
2 minutes have passed, not much has changed. Now it went into double time, and here's the interlude. It's pretty basic, nothing to write home about. The middle part with the drumming is actually pretty cool. Not a bad solo by Janick. Interlude again, Nice solo by Dave, a little different, and I like it. Interlude again. At this point I'm sick of it. A little variation to mix things up, thank you. And the last minute is that part that dominates half of the song.

I don't find anything special about this one. I'm feeling a need to be nice here, but I won't be. It's a 5.5, and I'll round it down. 5.

Another good song from the album! 8/10.

mckindog said:
This one is built off a properly ominous riff that nicely matches the subject matter. But its aimless, meandering repetitiveness quickly squanders the tension. I wonder if an outside producer could have molded it into a better track. Five.

You summed it up pretty well for me as well. The song feels very dragged out - not to the same extremes as #2 on the album, but enough to make it feel long. Maiden have a lot of songs about this length, that don't feel long, but this one definitely does. 6/10.

Six - song is full of great ideas, but it drags way too long, and feels very uninspired at moments.

I just love it, and it gets a 9 from me mainly on the strength of the lead solo, which is amazing!

There are some nice ideas in this track. Unfortunately these ideas are repeated so often that the whole thing becomes at least as monotone as TAATG. The hideous Muppetshow rhythm in the fast part is Maiden unworthy.

This is the third and last song of the "Three least good amigoes" from VXI:

Stallion Duck said:
I like it musically, but the repetetiveness is much worse  than Angel.
I agree with that but it doesn't grate on me in such a way that I will give it any less than 8. I think the reason that Angel & the Gambler does not feel overly repeated, for me, is that the song has got such a good groove to it, and it has a very 70's feel - and I love it. This song does not have such qualities but it still remains a good song.

This might be the lowest grade for this song, but I simply don't like this song, I can't explain why.

This song does drag on a bit, but that are plenty of good parts in there. 5/10

I don't care for this song either.  I don't mind the intro riff.  But the repetitive chorus and the ridiculous "swing" feeling fast section kill this song for me.  Awful.  I'll give it a 3 but fear even that's generous.

Except for the repetitive part in the middle, this song is amazing! Lots of great and different instrumental parts and I love Blaze's vocals for sure. 9/10

Not a fan of this song sorry people.  Don't get me wrong I prefer Maiden's longer songs to the rocker style, but this one really is repetitive.  My parents taught me not to look to the eyes of a stranger.  When Maiden tried to reinforce the message many years later it had less conviction than my mum and dad.

taker64 said:
I fail to see what is weird. My rankings are based on personal preference. Elements of some songs bring my ranking down, and when Blaze is singing, it's usually (but not always) his voice. Explain weird.

Taker, relative to what your "musings" thread had me expecting, I gotta say I think you've been generous to the album. Fresh listen change your mind or are you taking pains to be open-minded? Or was it just my expectations?

Perhaps expectations. I did say there was some Blaze material I liked, just not a lot of it. When I give a 5 to a song, it's down amongst the bottom of the heap. Interestingly, the one 4 I have given out was a Bruce fronted tune that qualifies as my least favorite Maiden tune.

Back