Did any of the songs from The Book Of Souls enter your top 10 maiden songs list?

Hi Icemint,

I have edited the above post to avoid setlist spoilers, as is the forum policy. Please take the time to read the rules.

Thanks.

IF there was a bottom ten maiden songs list, IESF would be in that group. Eternity' is on permanent skip for me. I know, not popular. As for top ten list:
The great unknown' is knocking on the door. I wish it had another verse. Abruptly ending as it does hurts it a little for me as well. But I love it!! I'd say TGU is 15-ish right now on the maiden list. Then nothing else til around 40.

Hi Icemint,

I have edited the above post to avoid setlist spoilers, as is the forum policy. Please take the time to read the rules.

Thanks.
Hi, thanks for that, I should have read the rules. I'm just so excited, to find this forum and when maiden release new album, or playing here in Finland.

Unfortunately no. In 2 months albums is going to be a year old and there is not a single song that I've said: "Fuck yes!" when I heard it the first time and that has the same impact now. Don't know exactly what my top 10 Maiden songs are by order but it's definitely not a single one from this album. Not that the songs are bad, but there is a thing or two that annoys me in every one of them. With When the River Runs Deep being the exception, but still - it doesn't have that "Fuck yes!" effect.

Possibly the title track. "Speed of Light" and "Empire of the Clouds", though not in my top 10, are also memorable.

If Eternity Should Fail is on the doorstep of top 10.
Empire and BoS are definitely in top 25 and maybe Red and Black.
I really like the album.

I mean, I consider Empire of the Clouds to be the greatest song of all time, so yeah.

The songs are ranked in my master list as such:

1. Empire of the Clouds

32. If Eternity Should Fail
35. The Red and the Black

45. Tears of a Clown

90. Death or Glory

106. The Book of Souls

117. Speed of Light
119. The Great Unknown

131. The Man of Sorrows
138. Shadows of the Valley

144. When the River Runs Deep

Yes. Empire of the Clouds.

If Eternity Should Fail and The Book of Souls would also probably be in my top 30.

Very good album. Probably the second best thing they have done since SSOASS, right after AMOLAD.

Surely Speed of Light, but When the River Runs Deep and Tears of a Clown also had good possibilities. I see that the longest songs at first impression seem better, but when all is said and done they can hardly rival the glories of the past. Except Empire of the Clouds, of course.

More time passes and still nothing in the top ten... speed of light around 20, great unknown now late 20s... it's not looking good for any BOS songs ever reaching my top 10 sadly. Any consolation if Eternity and TRATB in the bottom 10? .. yah that's not helping...

If Eternity Should Fail (which is probably my favourite title of any Maiden song), Speed of Light, The Book of Souls and Empire of the Clouds all entered my Top 50 Maiden songs. The Red and the Black is in there too, but I'm starting to think about switching it for The Edge of Darkness...

I just can't rank them all outside of my Top 5, where The Book of Souls sits nicely at number three - just behind The Evil That Men Do and Paschendale.

As with every new Maiden album over the last 26 years nine of the songs ever stands the test of time.

As with every new Maiden album over the last 26 years nine of the songs ever stands the test of time.
That's pretty good if nine songs off of every album stand the test of time. Not sure how that works out with Virtual XI, though...

Back