DC Extended Universe Thread (Spoilers inside!)

Like to share my take on the much ridiculed "Martha" scene in BvS.

many think the reason Batman spares Superman is due to finding out their mothers share the same name. I think it is more than that and I believe there was two thoughts going through the Dark Knight's mind:

1. Bruce's Martha may be dead but Clark's can still be saved. But that is the minor motivation. I think the main thought in his mind is
2. The moment Lois reveals Lex put Superman up to the fight by kidnapping Martha is when the World's Greatest Detective realized he had been a pawn of Lex's all along. Batman is furious at himself when he screams and throws the Kryptonite spear. He should have seen the signs. He should not have let himself be so easily manipulated. This I think is his main motivation through the rest of the film (& through SS & JL as well) is redemption.

It humanized Superman to him. I still don't see the big deal with that scene, there were so many other flaws with the movie.

I don't believe a word he says. :p

DFXm8vWW0AAJlwm.jpg:large

New JL trailer. Question is...who is Alfred speaking to at the end of the trailer off camera?

some fans think it is Green Lantern but not me. Alfred mentions that Bruce told him this person would show up so that means he must be someone Bruce is already aware of...meaning Superman. So far we have been shown no proof Bruce even knows GL exists. Plus Superman is in the promo material, not GL

Fans of 60's Batman tv show should appreciate this: new animated film featuring Adam West, Burt Ward, &...William Shatner?

Watched Wonder Woman Blu-Ray:

one of the Special Features is Epilogue. This is the scene that was released online a month ago that was not shown in theaters. It links the film to JL. Should have been a mid or end credits scene IMO.

I matched up most of the tracks on the soundtrack to which part of the movie they are in. One that puzzled me is called Faust. I knew it was during the gala but I did not know why it was called Faust. Then I turned the captions on. When the woman in the blue dress speaks off camera to Diana (who Diana will steal the dress from), it is revealed her name is Faust. Only two tracks I have not been able to match up to the film: Angel on the Wing and Action Reaction.

When WW first released, some critics compared it to Captain America The First Avenger (WW is far better). This is ironic because Steve Trevor is DC's version of CA, only without the outfit or powers.

Just watched Superman the Movie: the extended cut. 40 (!) minutes of footage not shown in theatrical version. Plenty of extra scenes and banter between Lex, Otis, & Ms. Tesmacher. Also a small sub plot shown during the California earthquake about the dam keeping water from a Native American reservation. Enjoyed the extra footage of Krypton; helps better explain the Phantom Zone.

New JL trailer! Some were afraid the trailer might reveal how Superman returns. Of course, it wisely does not.

I'm not really sold on Justice League but I have some siblings who want to see it so I'll probably go anyway. So far I'm expecting it to be a mess like BVS.

I mean, that's terrible. And I am just laughing and laughing all the same, because...that is just not who you would have expected to become an abusive sex pervert.

Just saw Justice League.

First a rant about AMC Katy Mills. I chose a location 15 miles from me because it has reserved seating (and my son likes this mall). We get there and they have moved the film to a different auditorium. No big deal. But then I find out (the hard way) that they have rearranged where everyone's reserved seats are! I reserved row G, which is a little more than halfway back (where I like to sit). They have moved us to row D! Too close. When I complain I am told if we wait 2 hours for the next show we can sit in row G then. I say "not acceptable". We have plans today and that is why we chose the time we did. So I get a voucher for free movies in the future and have to sit through my first viewing of Justice League too close to the screen. Keep in mind, ever since 1976, when I bought my first Justice League comic, I have waited to see this film. Thanks for ruining it for me AMC! (I just sent the Corporate office a very unpleasant email). What's the point of buying reserved seats if the theater is not going to save our seats?! Guess I will be going to Edwards Theater much closer to where I live (even though they don't have reserved seating).

Pros:

1. Finally get to learn how Superman is resurrected and it was in a fashion I did not see coming. I guessed that at some point in this film Superman would not be very nice (based on the nightmare Batman had in BVS) and that scene was something when he fought the rest of the League. Especially when Supes started to track the Flash. Barry's reaction was priceless! BTW, did Supes ever apologize to them about that? Don't remember.

2. Loved Batman in the film and despite all the talk online about how this was Superman's return to his proper heroic form, for me this film was more about Batman and Wonder Woman. Bruce finally confronted Diana about her ignoring mankind for a century. Good for him. He should have asked her where she was during WWII and why she did not try to save the millions who were slaughtered. Good to see her reveal herself to the public now.

3. One of my favorite scenes was the Aquaman/Mera scene. It makes me really look forward to the Aquaman film next year.

4. Loved the two credit scenes. Especially the last one with Lex and Deathstroke. The birth of the Injustice League? Did not see that coming. I thought Darkseid would make an appearance, but I guess DC was afraid that would cause too many comparisons to Thanos.

5. The last shot of the team triumphant above the area they fought Steppenwolf was something I have waited a long time for.

6. Finally seeing Henry Cavill's Superman use his freeze breath was cool.

7. The scene where Aquaman is unknowingly holding Diana's lasso and tells his opinion about each of them is taken from a JL short story where he reveals his true feelings about Diana.

Cons:

1. The final battle, once Superman appears, was too fast and easy. You're telling me Supes hits THAT much harder than Wonder Woman? She hit Steppenwolf plenty of times, but Superman hits him just a couple of times and he starts to show fear? I don't buy it.

2. I know a lot of fans online claim they loved the Flash's humor...I did not. Could have done without it.

3. Heard online that I would hear the John Williams Superman theme as well as the Danny Elfman Batman theme, but can't remember hearing them during the film.

4. Film was too short.

5. Why no Perry White and why did no-one on the Daily Planet question Clark returning from the dead at the same time as Superman?

6. I have not made up my mind about Cyborg. I know during Victor's early years in the comics he was very angry and serious because of his unhappiness about his condition as a cyborg, but I felt he was portrayed as too robotic in this film. Can't see him carrying his own film.

7. My biggest complaint about this film...NO (modern day) GREEN LANTERN! I was hoping for at least an after credit cameo. Don't care if it is Jon or Hal. Just wanted one of them for a minute at least.

Bottom line:

Avengers was the better film but I still am looking forward to more DC films. Flashpoint, Wonder Woman 2, JL 2 (if it happens), The Batman, Nightwing. Looking forward to all of them.

Last edited:
I thought JL was worse than BvS.

I just feel that this whole DCEU thing was planned badly, or not planned at all.

Batman and Superman cracked 1,5 jokes in MoS and BvS so it just felt out of character for them to behave the way they did in JL. Henry Cavill's face was so weird due to them having to CGI out his Mission Impossible 6 moustache.

WW is cool and I guess consistent with how she appeared in her previous 2 movies.

Flash was probably the best part despite Ezra Miller whom I don't really like (actually that might not be true anymore since I liked him in Fantastic Beasts too). "Dostoevsky!" was the funniest line in the movie IMO.

Then we have Cyborg and Aquaman who really suffered by not having their own movies. We know Batman's backstory. We know Superman's and Wonder Woman's. Even Flash gets at least some backstory with his dad and all. Cyborg... was some dude... who got killed somehow and his dad made him into Robocop/Iron Man/Ultron. He's angry until he's not and can hack into everything. Aquaman can... breathe under water... and can fly both under water and above it. And I guess there's Atlantis there somewhere and Amber Heard is some princess or his sister or wife, idk. So confusing.

Steppenwolf was basically Ares from WW without the human form. Just some slow talking British voice over a CGI monster.

Final battle was trademark DCEU/Zack Snyder CGI fest in darkness, rubble everywhere and the heroes/villains flying into buildings everywhere.

Back