Coronavirus

I really like the flexibility that working from home provides. On the plus side, I can take my daughter to school and pick her up every day (I try to schedule any meetings so they do not clash with the daily walk to and from school) and spend quality time with her and my wife. Also, there are many things in my line of business that can be done in the evening and that is what I have been doing lately. On the negative side, the workload associated with some other aspects of my job has increased exponentially, but is a price I am willing to pay for the increased flexibility.

Last edited:
I miss working in the office. Ever since I've been working from home I have been consistently overworked. These days it's not rare for me to have 12-hour working days, and 10-hour ones are the norm. Nobody cares about working hours anymore.

I miss working in the office. Ever since I've been working from home I have been consistently overworked. These days it's not rare for me to have 12-hour working days, and 10-hour ones are the norm. Nobody cares about working hours anymore.
There's a struggle with this, for sure. I frequently find myself chasing my people offline after 5. It's hard for me to put an end to the workday as well; add in that I have five different time zones I deal with, messages come in before or after my shift. But I'd rather that than commuting, anyway.

Also, there are many things in my line of business that can be done in the evening
Can be done, but do you want this?

Ehh, perhaps you care?

Hmm, I "just" would not do that. Easily said, perhaps, but well, I'd try to find out why this is happening. Do others expect you're working more hours?

Last edited:
It's not just me. Everyone around me is in the same situation. I don't know a single person who works less than before now. Because of the current situation, at work we have expanded our scope quite a bit, so technically, we also have a higher workload. With a child at home, it's impossible to stay focused on work for long stretches of time either, so it takes me longer to do the same amount of work I would do in the office. And because I'm less productive, I tend to extend my working hours to finish my tasks. So it's not easy to just draw the line at 17:00.

I find I tend to skip breaks and work past finish time too, but then that sometimes happened in the office as well, and it was a pain in the neck travelling home after working those hours. If you'd missed a bus you might as well work another hour or two, and you had to set off early on a morning to make sure you get to work on time. As a consequence, if you actually turned up early you ended up starting early too. I think they're talking about 75% office working in future, but there could be a lot of resistance to even that much. It's not a nice environment, it's freezing in winter and boiling in summer, you have nowhere to take a break, and you don't have time to talk to people. They'll mainly want staff in the office so they can tell the many coffee shop, pub and fast food chains in town centres they're doing something to help them.

Well, I can say I have better transport facilities (every 10 to 15 minutes a train connection) and certain office conditions.

E.g. heatwaves suck in my house. They are perfect at the office.

And flexibility has its limits. I do not work in some commercial company so work to live, not live to work.

Skipping breaks (constantly sitting) is disastrous for my back.

I don't think working from home is for everyone, but at the same time, I also don't think working from the office is for everyone, and a strong office uses both based on what's right for the work balance of the person in question. It's silly to force people to come to the office if they don't want to be there, and it's silly to force people from home if the office is an option if they want the office.

Yes I have also learned the positive sides of working from home. It's probably going to be a combination as soon as we are allowed back again.
I'm thinking of cycling to work as well. A nice ride (50 minutes to work, 50 minutes going home) and it's good to have some extra movement.

So my mom got her vaccine a week ago and had ZERO side-effects. In fact she is participating in a beauty pageant for senior citizens. I told her if she wins, can she keep going? Like, this is local, then she'd have to go regional, state, national and then THE WORLD. BUT, but, Miss World and Miss Universe are already taken, so would she have to participate in Miss Big-Bang. I was also slightly dissapointed when I learned there would not be a swin suit competition. Then again, that is progressive! So, all is well so far.

My Uncle sent me a newscast that People that got either the Russian or Chinese vaccine WON'T be allowed in the U.S due to the short efficacy period (4-6 months). I wasn't planning on going until next year anyway, but good to know.

It's not just me. Everyone around me is in the same situation. I don't know a single person who works less than before now. Because of the current situation, at work we have expanded our scope quite a bit, so technically, we also have a higher workload. With a child at home, it's impossible to stay focused on work for long stretches of time either, so it takes me longer to do the same amount of work I would do in the office. And because I'm less productive, I tend to extend my working hours to finish my tasks. So it's not easy to just draw the line at 17:00.
Hope you can return soon, and hopefully the line can be drawn again then. That would be something, if everyone needs to keep working harder, also because of the scope change.

So my mom got her vaccine a week ago and had ZERO side-effects. In fact she is participating in a beauty pageant for senior citizens. I told her if she wins, can she keep going? Like, this is local, then she'd have to go regional, state, national and then THE WORLD. BUT, but, Miss World and Miss Universe are already taken, so would she have to participate in Miss Big-Bang. I was also slightly dissapointed when I learned there would not be a swin suit competition. Then again, that is progressive! So, all is well so far.

So... she won! LOL. My mom is now Miss Zapopan hahaha. Oh and my joke about her going to regionals, state and nationals... well, turns out that's exactly what the comittee wants her to do! Some fun news in the middle of all this crap.

Bugger. Only just discovered that the walk-in clinic is only open to patients from a certain group of GP practices, and not mine. My GP practice hasn't delivered any vaccines at all, they've left it up to the regional NHS to organise. So I guess I'll be back at the football stadium in July, then.

Back