Coronavirus

Here we go, the PM announcing a delay to 'Freedom Day' (his own invention) for four further weeks in England. Not a huge surprise but I'm still not sure what the overall strategy versus covid is, if they actually have one. The idea is that more people 40+ or clinically vulnerable will have a chance of their second dose, and most of the population 18-30 will have had the chance of a first dose by July 19.

However, that still leaves a few million adults with c.33% effective protection against developing covid with the Delta variant - which is now the dominant strain in the UK, while those fully vaccinated have either a 60% effective vaccine (most have the AZ vaccine) or an 87% effect vaccine. Not quite the efficacy there was against the older variants. The likely result, even in four weeks' time, is likely to be a big rise in cases, not the breakdown of transmission chains and dwindling of cases that you'd like to think will be the conclusion of the pandemic.

Hospitalisation and death rates are much lower in the vaccinated population but still not great. It's suggested that about 30% of deaths involving the Delta variant have been in fully vaccinated people. No comparable figures released on the UK variant. The last set of figures - even if only a small sample over a period when cases numbers were falling while Delta variant prevalence was gradually increasing - bizarrely show more deaths among fully vaccinated people than people with only one dose. I'm not sure if that's something to do with age of the people involved or the vaccination given. Oldest and most clinically vulnerable people, plus those in risk professions like healthcare, are more likely to have had both doses. Pfizer was given right at the start of the vaccination campaign, AZ was then given to the majority of people over 40, before Pfizer and Moderna were used for under 40s.

I'm fine with the idea of people attending big gatherings and gigs after a lateral flow test. It's not fantastically accurate but it's far better than nothing. That would certainly help businesses who had completely geared up to June 21 reopening based on the government's overhyping of the date. However, I really hope they don't ditch all restrictions in shops, public transport, workplaces etc immediately after July 19. In typical statement-making fashion, the PM says any lifting of restrictions will 'irreversible'. Which doesn't guarantee he's honest, but it might be a sign that he's going to be bloody minded about this.

In typical statement-making fashion, the PM says any lifting of restrictions will 'irreversible'. Which doesn't guarantee he's honest, but it might be a sign that he's going to be bloody minded about this.

Has Boris Johnson ever been honest about anything?

Is he a racist? Not heard that one before

He made some abhorrent comments in the 70s, supported Enoch Powell...

In fact, his comments inspired the Rock Against Racism movement.

He has addressed the issue recently (see below).

I am not sure he has apologised for his extremely racist comments (if he has done it, it has taken him nearly 4 decades...). What he has definitely done is tried to justify his behaviour as a result of his addictions.

Last edited:
Another office closure today, someone who visited all parts of the building tested positive. They came to work with symptoms and a relative had tested positive. :mad:

Another office closure today, someone who visited all parts of the building tested positive. They came to work with symptoms and a relative had tested positive. :mad:

I think this is going to go on for a long time.

I have been working from home since March last year and it seems that is going to be the case for the foreseeable future.

We're talking September here, but I strongly believe it will be only vaccinated people allowed to return to office. Of which I wholeheartedly approve!

Our lot are talking "as soon as the last restriction is formally lifted" - so would have been next week but is now looking like next month (potentially).

However they became open to the possibility of more flexibility going forwards when they discovered that (very much to their surprise I gather) "it hasn't been a disaster" (a partner's exact words in my last appraisal). So we were all asked what we would like to do and I have asked, and been granted, to continue working from home three days a week indefinitely. This gives me all sorts of possibilities that weren't there before.

We're talking September here, but I strongly believe it will be only vaccinated people allowed to return to office. Of which I wholeheartedly approve!
This is most probably not happening in most European countries. I don't think companies or institutions can know, check or force this.

Edit: In the Netherlands, from 26 June people are not advised anymore to work at home.

It will be a weird change, working so long at home since March 2020. Perhaps I'll try to do hybrid working (office and home), and see how that goes.

Last edited:
This is most probably not happening in most European countries. I don't think companies or institutions can know, check or force this.
It hasn't been tested here but most legal theorists believe you absolutely can force it in Canada. Which I am happy for.

It turns out people are more productive when they are happy, and they're happy when they aren't riding busses or driving at 6 in the morning.
Happy and not burnt out/knackered. Also not having to do the work between two arbitrary points on the clock just for the sake of it has been a definite plus point. Work have politely requested we put in most of our hours between 8.00 and 18.00 but they are happy for us to utilise the potential for flexibility provided we are not uncontactable for more that one hour at a time. I think that's reasonable.

Back