Coronavirus

Jab received. No soreness in my arm. Yesterday, about 30 hours after the shot, I started to feel like I had a light flu, but I went to bed and now I feel just fine.

I was watching a Youtube video where a historian was talking about ranking presidents, and someone asked him if he had the vaccine and he immediately started saying things like "Oh I'm a pretty healthy guy so I don't think so." Closed that link. Fuck that guy, how can you study history and then think that's the right course of action on immunizations.

Here in the Netherlands we are at birth years 1968 and 1969 now. It really looks like the first jab (or the invitation) will arrive in 2 weeks time or so.
Geez, sorry it’s taking so long for you.

Just got to go on my first fully mask-free shopping trip yesterday (store policies still varied last week, but pretty much everyone in my area has adopted CDC guidance now). A good feeling for sure, but also a weird one.

Canada has passed 50% vaccinated with one shot, and we are now ahead of the USA on the same metric as a percentage of total population. We continue to ramp up while the US is dropping down.

It doesn't look good for America to continue without repeated outbreaks, does it?

It doesn't look good for America to continue without repeated outbreaks, does it?
Nope. And aside from bribing people to get vaccinated or hoping that unvaccinated people getting and recovering from COVID will help us toward herd immunity, I’m not sure what else can be done.

Longer term, more focus on applied critical thinking in public schools would be an obvious opportunity for improvement. Might as well throw some more mandatory civics in there while we’re at it.

I feel bad for the people who want to get vaccinated, but can’t for whatever reason, because they’re the ones who are going to be squeezed most by this situation.

The Government here is still delightedly proclaiming they're going to ditch all social distancing on June 21 (AKA Freedom Day) as planned, despite a report released last night - while everyone was busy elsewhere taking the pee out of Eurovision song contest - that the Indian variant has spread nationwide and is causing concern.

Also they seem happy that the efficacy of the Pfizer vaccine is reduced to 80% with this variant and efficacy of the AZ vaccine is reduced to 60%. Efficacy of each vaccine after the first shot only is only about 33% with this variant...and most of the population still won't have had their second shot on June 21.

Also they seem happy that the efficacy of the Pfizer vaccine is reduced to 80% with this variant and efficacy of the AZ vaccine is reduced to 60%. Efficacy of each vaccine after the first shot only is only about 33% with this variant...and most of the population still won't have had their second shot on June 21.
The UK has a high percentage of people with AZ, don't they? We only have about 10% with AZ here, so I'm less worried about it - 80% on Pfizer and Moderna is more than enough to protect against the Indian variant if we have most people with those shots.

Yes, the Government bought 100 million doses of AZ, and bought something like 60m Pfizer, but has ordered another 60m more, and bought 17m Moderna (too expensive). Pfizer was the first one rolled out, so it was given to the oldest members of the population first, and some healthcare workers, before they moved on to using the AZ one. My parents (70s) have the AZ one and that's what me and Paul have too.

Anecdotally, I've heard that the Pfizer one is much commoner in the south east. The mRNA ones are going to be offered to the younger age groups (35 and below I think) because the chances of people in those age groups dying of Covid is thought to be even lower than the risk of dying from a vaccine related blot clot. I see the point to that, although it also looks like the people least likely to die of covid are by far the ones getting the best protection now.

I'd really like to see them delay scrapping social distancing for another month, maybe two. All adults will have been offered the first dose of something by the end of July, but if that's as low as 33% protection, it's not enough.

Last edited:
There was no reaction at all on my side after the second jab. Also, I was given my certificate immediately after. When do you get yours?

Back