Coronavirus

Working from home recommendation in Finland ends today. There has been quite a steady and low rate of tested cases for a long time now, about 10 per day. Medias have been filled with predictions of a second wave in the last few days. I've noticed I've been more anxious than before, I'm still not afraid of the virus itself, but I am afraid we get to put to work from home again. If that happens, I don't know what I'm going to do, because being all alone for months on end was so hard. If that happens, I'll have to think of something to help me survive.

Other thing I'm very worried about is catching an ordinary cold. We have to go to a test with any cold symptoms, doesn't matter how mild. The problem is I have no car, so I would have to walk to the testing site, which is 12 kilometers, and I really wouldn't like to do that if I'm sick. Therefore I've decided to do something I haven't had courage to do before, and find out what I actually have to do if I get symptoms. I really don't like masks, but I've been thinking I could still buy a pack of them, if I could then wear one and get a taxi to get tested. They are quite expensive, 10 euros for a pack of five, and sold out in some shops. I thought I'd also boost my immune system by exercise, so I could avoid any colds. It's strange, I know, being afraid of a cold but not Corona.

My colleague's test came back negative. However, his mate - the one who set the track-and-trace people onto him - was doing a self-test kit and hasn't got his results back yet. If he eventually gets a positive result, my colleague still has to self-isolate for 14 days ... :facepalm:

R.I.P. Sanity!

There was an outbreak among the crew on a Hurtigruten cruise from Tromsø to Svalbard. It didn't become clear until the ship had returned and the passengers had left. All passengers who have left the ship (more than 400) told to get tested and isolate until test result is ready.

The crew on that cruise included dozens of sailors from the Philippines, they were obliged to go into quarantine when entering Norway. However, the company interpreted that as not being allowed to leave the ship ... but did not impose any restriction on interaction between the sailors, or between crew and passengers :facepalm: And it turned out more than 30 of the crew had the virus.

Those 400+ passengers are now in around 60 different places across Norway. Fortunately, there are far more negative than positive tests among those whose results are known.

Last edited:
There was a protest in central Berlin against Corona measures last weekend. The spectre of participants ranged from antivaxxers and constitutionalists to conspiracy theorists and neo-Nazis. AfD is applauding them. The protest was announced for 500,000, police estimate 20,000 participants and the organisers are sharing ten year-old pictures of a Love Parade claiming there were 1.3 million. You can tell the pictures are old because the skyline of the city has changed since, but since nobody pays attention to details, they just keep lying.

While I was desinfecting shopping carts in front of the store, I had an argument with a customer this week.
He said: "The virus isn't here yet". My reply: "I'm feeling sorry for so much unawareness, sir".
He just rolled his eyes and went into the store.

There was a protest in central Berlin against Corona measures last weekend. The spectre of participants ranged from antivaxxers and constitutionalists to conspiracy theorists and neo-Nazis. AfD is applauding them. The protest was announced for 500,000, police estimate 20,000 participants and the organisers are sharing ten year-old pictures of a Love Parade claiming there were 1.3 million. You can tell the pictures are old because the skyline of the city has changed since, but since nobody pays attention to details, they just keep lying.
Shouldn't it also be obvious that it's all hippies and dance music fans, not alt-right nutters?

Someone from my office, (on my floor, if I was actually there) is self isolating because a family member they live with has been diagnosed with Covid. They tested positive in hospital. We're not sure if they were admitted because of Covid symptoms or if it randomly turned up in the routine test when they were hospitalised for something else. Something similar happened about a month ago. Two staff members isolated because someone they live with tested positive, one of them then came down with it. The other never showed symptoms, I don't know if he was tested.

The notice just came out from the government that all schools are to be closed until at least 31 August. We've been having online classes for the past few months, and that shows no sign of changing.

It's not looking so good here now with the number of cases. What might have initially been explained as the uptake of tests increasing, and many of the daily deaths relating to people who took ill weeks or months ago, now looks like a sustained infection rate, if not an increasing one. Several local authorities in the North West/West Yorkshire have just had some restrictions reimposed, and plans to loosen restrictions nationally have been stymied. Masks have also become compulsory in more settings.

Although we have to be extra careful with the increase in the number of cases (the UK government is probably keen to be seen as doing things quickly for a change), I would urge caution when interpreting the figures that are being reported. According to Prof Carl Heneghan, from Oxford University, cases aren't rising in any meaningful sense.

Although we have to be extra careful with the increase in the number of cases (the UK government is probably keen to be seen as doing things quickly for a change), I would urge caution when interpreting the figures that are being reported. According to Prof Carl Heneghan, from Oxford University, cases aren't rising in any meaningful sense.

It's also the disproportionately high death rate. Although that could be explained by people who've been in hospital for weeks or months having life support switched off, it still suggests the number of cases is far higher than those detected by testing. Our local cases are definitely up.

My optimism for events in 2021 is starting to fade. It seems that despite a rather moderate degree of opening up society across Europe, the numbers are going up.

Makes me worried we'll have to live with many limitations for a long time to come yet.

Back