Coronavirus

It was a genuine question.

The state/government make these laws, my inference was that it is not a bad thing that such laws exist that prohibit the availability of harmful materials, and in the current context, my approval of laws that help stop the spread of a deadly disease. Imagining a ridiculous example, e.g. conspiracy theorists thinking children should be allowed play with uranium, was a way of making that point while hopefully generating a laugh or two.

Incidentally, that ridiculous example is not a million miles away from reality, as I remember seeing a video before of a Libertarian candidate speaking at an election rally, making comments along the lines of being in favour of liberalising access to recreational drugs but still stopping children from getting heroin and that having a driving licence/test is not a bad thing, and being booed by the crowd.

Superman, I think.

They probably think it's the "nanny state" and "big government interference" that stops children from playing with uranium.
They're starting to think along those lines I think, because they're reading about that on social media and listening to soundbites from assorted Tory motormouths, but originally it was just plain ignorance and a hatred of any kind of inconvenience.

Very positive news from the human trials of the Oxford vaccine. It can train the immune system by triggering it to make antibodies and white blood cells.
I wondered what their findings would be. The Government has just announced it's buying up millions of doses of other vaccines, which made me wonder if the Oxford vaccine had suffered setbacks.

Fair enough, though. The WHO does advise using more than one type of vaccine - at a guess in case one turns out to be ineffective.

The public health agency of British Columbia has just issued guidance suggesting the use of gloryholes to avoid COVID spread while having sex:

The actual fucking government said:
  • Choose sexual positions that limit face-to-face contact.
  • Use barriers, like walls (e.g., glory holes), that allow for sexual contact but prevent close face-to-face contact.
  • Using condoms, lubricant, and dental dams may help to further reduce the risk by minimizing contact with saliva, semen and feces during oral and anal sex.

Catalonia has reintroduced some restrictions after a surge in cases, including closing down nightclubs. Why the hell were nightclubs reopened in the first place? Those sort of places/events should be among the last things to come back.

In Belgium the National Security Council gathers on monday. Probably more restrictions.
And monday it's back to work for me. With a mouthmask in the shop. Back to the complaints! Hooray!

Ventured out to a farmer’s market today. Signs everywhere about wearing masks, social distancing, one-way walkways, etc. Of course almost no one was observing the distancing requirement, and while most people had masks, many of them had their noses exposed or had the masks under their chins, or the masks were on so loosely that they were hanging inches away from the person’s face. Fucking ridiculous.

Then I had to go to Walmart, which now has a security guard posted because Minnesota finally made mask wearing mandatory in public indoor spaces. Didn’t see any public meltdowns, but I saw a number of people half-assedly put on a mask at the door and the register and completely take it off while shopping. WTF.

No wonder Canada wants nothing to do with us right now.

Ventured out to a farmer’s market today. Signs everywhere about wearing masks, social distancing, one-way walkways, etc. Of course almost no one was observing the distancing requirement, and while most people had masks, many of them had their noses exposed or had the masks under their chins, or the masks were on so loosely that they were hanging inches away from the person’s face. Fucking ridiculous.

Then I had to go to Walmart, which now has a security guard posted because Minnesota finally made mask wearing mandatory in public indoor spaces. Didn’t see any public meltdowns, but I saw a number of people half-assedly put on a mask at the door and the register and completely take it off while shopping. WTF.

No wonder Canada wants nothing to do with us right now.

I went into town today (English town) and was pleased to see everyone but one person wearing face masks in shops. Our special friendship with the USA does not seem to apply to this.

I went to a shop today. A small number of people weren't wearing masks, but I know that one of them has some kind of learning difficulty. The others probably don't give a shit.

I was supposed to be in Barcelona right now watching Iron Maiden.

I went to a shop today. A small number of people weren't wearing masks, but I know that one of them has some kind of learning difficulty. The others probably don't give a shit.

I was supposed to be in Barcelona right now watching Iron Maiden.

You might have to cherish the memories of the last time you saw Maiden live. Considering their age and the number of people that go to their gigs, it seems unlikely they would be playing any live gigs in the next couple of years.

the last week or so whenever I've been down the shops it seems the majority are wearing masks, just wondering how much of a difference it would have made if we'd done it from the start

the last week or so whenever I've been down the shops it seems the majority are wearing masks, just wondering how much of a difference it would have made if we'd done it from the start

I think we could have probably avoided lock-downs and the subsequent economic catastrophe with a combination of asking people to wear face masks and observe social distancing back in February.

Back