Coronavirus

Although I wish I had gone to Bloodstock this year as by all accounts it was amazing, nearly everyone I know who attended came back with The 'Rona so in hindsight I'm glad I stayed at home.
That's a shame. I had been toying with the idea of trying to get tix somehow in the run up to the festival because there were quite a few bands I'd loved to have seen.. Outdoor events have got to be lower risk than being packed into something indoors. Travelling in packed cars/buses/trains, sharing tents and anything involving portaloos is a different matter, though.

Pfizer? I've heard a few people say the second shot means business.

Meanwhile, the bribes/incentives to get vaccinated are getting ever more tempting: Middlesbrough FC tickets now!

They need to try something in this area, though, only three quarters of the adult population under this local authority have had at least one jab, despite all over 18s being offered at least one. The rates in the town centre are appalling. There's definitely less take up in areas where the population is younger and/or poorer. Like only half of the adult population in some neighbourhoods has had even the first jab. It's a massive contrast with wealthier areas, and not being able to afford the jab doesn't come into it.

Meanwhile various medical policy makers and authorities are starting to make a little bit more noise abut vaccinating under 18s. Pfizer and now Moderna have been approved for use in 12-17 year olds, but they're only currently being offered to people aged 16 and up, apart from those with certain medical conditions. That the sudden easing of the R rate coincided with schools breaking up for the holidays might just finally be getting taken seriously. The halt in what had been a steep increase in cases over summer has puzzled just about everyone. Notably, though, there are clusters of higher case numbers around popular seaside tourist resorts, which suggests vaccines haven't completely beaten Covid, it's more down to a change in patterns of behaviour and social contact. I wish I had confidence that they are actively monitoring the situation, have thought about precautionary steps to take, and are aware that things could kick off again in autumn.

I do not think the halt in the steep increase in cases is due to the school holidays (kids have been attending school and mixing with others since March), but to the end of the Euro football nonsense. That was a true mixing of households without any restrictions.

That's a shame. I had been toying with the idea of trying to get tix somehow in the run up to the festival because there were quite a few bands I'd loved to have seen.. Outdoor events have got to be lower risk than being packed into something indoors. Travelling in packed cars/buses/trains, sharing tents and anything involving portaloos is a different matter, though.

This year I have tickets to see indoor shows in September (Fascinating Aïda), October (Manic Street Preachers, The Waterboys), and November (British Lion + The Darkness). Fingers crossed all shows go ahead!

I do not think the halt in the steep increase in cases is due to the school holidays (kids have been attending school and mixing with others since March), but to the end of the Euro football nonsense. That was a true mixing of households without any restrictions.
But households are even more mixed now than they were during the Euros, at least here they are. People are going to pubs and clubs in large groups, holding house parties and large family gatherings, and hardly anyone is bothering with masks or distancing in public places, shops or on public transport. An awful lot of the schools had entire year groups out before the summer holidays, the number of cases in local schools was snowballing, people were constantly having to take time off work. They might have been back in schools for a while, but doing away with masks in schools looks like it had an impact.

Could be, but I do not buy this whole thing of using school kids as scapegoats for a rise in cases. I am definitely not implying that is what you think, but I have heard it from older (than us) people quite often, here and abroad.

Honestly surprised at your responses, @Forostar and @MindRuler
To me that was part of the every day routine. Lots of places here don't let you in without a negative test, vaccination documentation or confirmation that you recovered from an infection. And that includes all the places where I can work. State-sponsored test centres popped up virtually everywhere. You go in, fill out a form, do the test and get the result 15 minutes later either printed or by e-mail, depending on your preference.
They started disappearing again a few weeks ago and now the government wants to stop sponsoring them to push more people into getting vaccinated.

I guess we hardly went into such places (of which I also expect Germany has more categories).

What places are you talking about?

Out here tests have been required for certain events, I doubt it was necessary for every uni building (especially during the summer holidays).
People were able to do tests but it was not required. Now it will get busier and I assume this could change.

I guess we hardly went into such places (of which I also expect Germany has more categories).

What places are you talking about?

For work: Libraries, public offices; otherwise: restaurants, cafés, malls, shops...

For work: Libraries, public offices; otherwise: restaurants, cafés, malls, shops...
Ah okay, that was not required here. Of course, people are stimulated to do a test if they have symptoms.
It seems a big ordeal to do this all the time, in so many different locations, like you did, but I can see the value of it (minimizing the risk).

It seems a big ordeal to do this all the time, in so many different locations, like you did, but I can see the value of it (minimizing the risk).

No, no, it wasn't in so many different places. I went out to a local test centre every morning and got my test for the day.

I know, but to have this done every day in order to visit at least (or even just) one of these spots. My smiley still stands. ;)

Back