Coronavirus

I wonder what the conclusion will be regarding the recent cases of thrombosis in people who received the AstraZeneca vaccine.
EMA today: yes "unusual blood clots with low blood platelets should be listed as very rare side effects". So: a very rare side effect of AstraZeneca. Very rare but there is the connection.

It was said that the side effect is present in all age and gender groups (a bit contrary to what we've heard before).
Risk is detected predominantly in younger age and predominantly effects women, but this can be attributed to how the vaccin is used in the EU.

As expected, it is again stressed that continuing with the vaccin is necessary. Still this looks less good than using a different vaccin.

edit: meanwhile:

Under-30s in UK to be offered alternative to AstraZeneca jab​

People under-30 are to be offered an alternative Covid jab to the AstraZeneca vaccine due to mounting evidence linking it to rare blood clots, the UK's vaccine advisory body says.
A review by the drugs regulator MHRA found by the end of March 79 people in the UK suffered rare blood clots after vaccination - 19 of whom died.
The regulator said this was not proof the jab had caused the clots - but it said the link was getting firmer.

edit 2:
I understood (in my own words) that the EMA sees the reporting rate from Germany (1 in 100.000) as more representative than the one from the UK (1 in 600.000).

Last edited:
My mom is to have her first today and the second one in early May as well :)

Meanwhile, Brazil is on course to catch up with the US in total deaths. Having a president who says "no lockdowns whatsoever" sure can't help.

In other corona news, the Norwegian PM has been fined 20,000 NOK for hosting too many people for her 60th birthday.

My parents have both had their second dose of the vaccine now, and according to some newspapers, vaccination of people aged 40-49 :cheers: is about to start. It could take a while, though, because they're (rightly) prioritising second doses at the moment ahead of additional first doses.

Meanwhile it looks like our neighbours might be having a coronamergency. Someone who sounded like Test and Trace turned up at their front door last week to ask them questions about who they've had contact with and if they've had any visitors (which they lied about). Yesterday someone answered the door with a horrendous bad cough, and today the whole family has been freaking out and taking the kids out one by one in the car and going somewhere, at a guess for a covid test.

As of today, everyone in my state over the age of 16 is now eligible for the vaccine, and it sounds like by April 19th it will be that way for everywhere in the U.S.
H2gG0.gif

Yikes. The site is now telling me I failed to attend an appointment because I didn't accept any of the options offered. Hoping there are more appointments available in or around town in the next week or so, preferably not one 10-80 miles away or in a small rural GP practice on the North Yorkshire Moors.

Almost everyone in my family has had their first jab now and their second scheduled, either because they live in a country with a better vaccination strategy or because they're 60+ or because they're relevant civil servants.

Meanwhile, I do not have any sort of perspective whatsoever when it's going to be my turn. One day I'm told it might be as early as June, the next I'm told it might be October, then next year, then I get hope that it'll be sooner, then AstraZeneca is cancelled then this, then that.

I'm getting frustrated and angry.

Come get vaccinated in Serbia. You just need to apply through our government website and you'd get a day or two of notice before the appointment (it'd be easier if you were in Bulgaria when applying because of this).

Back